Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #1

moving object: do i use TV setting

There is a cute fox like dog come to my office tomorrow monring. I want to use my new K5 to shoot several pictures. Do I use TV setting. If I do, do I also need to set MF instead of AF? Thanks.

07-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't worry about manual focus, but you'll probably want a faster shutter speed, which you can set in Tv mode or in P by turning the front e-dial. You could also set the program line to action so that the camera will choose a faster shutter speed by default.
07-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
more details would be of use. what lens, what lighting conditions , indoors, outdoors, etc. will the dog be running, or walking etc....

to get a sharp image, you need to consider all these things. Since you are talking about moving subjects, lets start by assuming no shake reduction, therefore to remove camera shake, and assuming you are considering the whole frame, and not cropping in, your first limit is

shutter speed = 1 / ( focal lentgh x 1.5 )

then, you may also need to consider, for a slow moving subject, something in the order of 1/200 to freeze the image. If he is running full out, and you are panning with a shutter speed in the 1/200 the main body will be OK, but the legs could be blurred. Higher shutter speed would freeze the legs too
07-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi all:

Thanks for your quick response. My lense is smc pentax DA 18-135. The following is my further question

Adam:
So I am still in AFS? When I TV, and set speed, I found the aperture F is shinning. i guess it means my camera is under exposure. What should I do? Increase ISO?

Lowell:
is the formula the slowest shutter speed I should have? Why?

07-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

When shutter speed is important (mainly due to catching fast moving objects) I always use TAv mode. I set the desired shutter speed to freeze the object and aperture for desired DOF, then camera takes care of ISO for proper exposure.
07-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi, all

I believe I figured out most after reading thoroughly the menu book and comments from this thread. I will use P, AV or TV based on the situation. But still have a small doubt: how do I use MF?