Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 07:12 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K5 AF issue - to beep or not to beep

I have two DA* lenses which I thought had problems but it turns out they do not. Others may have also had this feeling. Let me describe what I experienced.
When using the K5 and doing a half-press to lock AF you are most often rewareded with the red box lighting up and an associated electronic beep from the camera. On numerous occasions I would do a half-press and the red box would liight up but no-beep was forthcoming. This became very frustrating because I prefer to hear the beep for AF confirmation and wrongly assumed the camera would always beep when AF was locked. I was at the point of sending a couple of the lenses in for "repair" due to this.

It turns out that if the camera is already focused for the subject (maybe from a previous shot) that the red box will light up but the beep is not produced unless the camera/lens actually is required to make a focus adjustment.

I began to start shooting when there was no beep but the red box lit and the photos were in focus. More often than not I rely on that beep to tell me I have focus lock but with the K5 you will not always hear that beep if the subject is already in focus. Just passing this along in case others had the same misconception about the beep for focus lock.

To test the theory I performed a number of shots on the same subject and noted that the beep ONLY occured when the camera actually made an "adjustment" in focus. I then defoucsed the lens manually and was always rewareded with both the red focus box lighting up and the expected beep after doing a half-press for focus lock.
This may be in the manual somewhere but I never saw it.

07-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #2

I disabled the focus confirmed beep. Noise pollution!
07-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think, based off foggy memory, my k-x also does the same where if the camera is already locked and is sure of it, it will not beep.

However, I've turned off my beep for the last year or so, so that's why I can't be sure. I could try checking later at night.
07-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Turn off the beep, just use centre spot AF, and turn off the focus point display in the viewfinder too. Life can be simple.

07-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Another vote for disabling the focus confirmation beep. Some shooting situations call for the least attention possible on the photog, so I generally disable the beep first thing on initial setup of any new camera and rely on the visual viewfinder focus confirmation. Thanks for the tip though, didn't know this happened until you pointed it out.
07-26-2012, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turned of the beep of the camera long, long time ago... Have enough beeps in my head to make life complicated without the camera beep....

So, another vote for turning it off!
07-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

Thanks for the info. Unlike others, I won't make you feel that you shouldn't use the beep ;-)

07-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

How does one turn off the beep?
07-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tatume Quote
How does one turn off the beep?
[press Menu]
[press right 4 way arrow across] - to Setup (the little spanner icon) page 1
[press down 4 way arrow] - down the bottom of the screen : Beep [press OK]

then then change the setting to off [press right arrow]
or
untick what beeping beeps you dont want to beep. ( In-focus , AE-L, RAW, Self-timer, Remote)
07-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

We all know that the red box is NOT the in-focus-confirmation light, right?
07-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #11
Forum Member

Is there in in-focus confirmation light, or is the beep the only indication?
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I hate the beep, one of the first things I turn off in a camera. I also don't like logos for a similar reason, I electrical tape my cameras now.
07-26-2012, 05:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatume Quote
Is there in in-focus confirmation light, or is the beep the only indication?
The focus indicator (confirmation) is the green hexagon that lights up and stays steady at the bottom of the viewfinder when focus is achieved. It blinks if focus is not achieved. The red box is the auto-focus point. It does flash a second time briefly when focus is achieved and the green hexagon lights up and stays on.
07-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The focus indicator is the hexagon in the viewfinder, located here:
Name:  k-5-focus-indicator.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  148.0 KB
07-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fotogaffer Quote
The focus indicator (confirmation) is the green hexagon that lights up and stays steady at the bottom of the viewfinder when focus is achieved. It blinks if focus is not achieved. The red box is the auto-focus point. It does flash a second time briefly when focus is achieved and the green hexagon lights up and stays on.
Any option to keep it on? Out of curiousity.