Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #1

how do I use MF?

I just bot my first dslr one week ago. Feel proud every moment. After reading comments from this forum and my menu book, I get used to use AV and P mode to shoot my shots. However, I still not sure how to use MF control? I belive when I use AV and super P mode, I am using AFC. But when I switch to MF, do I need to select aperture, shutter speed and ISO?

THANKS and eager to see you guys comments.

07-26-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You are confusing focus modes and exposure modes. AF-C is a focus mode and is completely independent from exposure modes such as Tv or P.
07-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

MF is manual focus, and disengages the focus linkages to the lens. It doesn't change any of the exposure modes.
07-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The first thing to know is DON'T try to focus manually (turn the focus ring on the lens with your hand) unless "MF" is set on the body or else you could damage the lens and the camera. That is, unless you have a "quick-shift" lens. If you don't know what a quick-shift lens is, then assume you don't have one.

07-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
VonBaloney:

Wow. I almost risk my new lenses! I have a DA 18-135 and pentax macro 30mm lense. Are they both quick shift lense. Is there any manual regarding how to use these quick shift lense? Thanks.
07-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks. You are right. I was confused before I saw your reply.
07-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmrhm Quote
VonBaloney:

Wow. I almost risk my new lenses! I have a DA 18-135 and pentax macro 30mm lense. Are they both quick shift lense. Is there any manual regarding how to use these quick shift lense? Thanks.
Most of the time, you don't have to do anything with auto focus but it isn't perfect. Sometimes, you may have to tweak the focus a little, especially in a very crowded scene where the AF may focus on something other than what you intend. That's where quick shift is valuable as you can manually tweak your focus. A common use is in portraits where you want the eyes in sharp focus and the AF may choose somewhere else on the face depending on how you have it framed. It's a handy feature even though you may not use it often. I don't own your 2 lenses you mention but a quick shift lens allows you to freely move the focus ring while in AF so if your focus ring is tight, don't try to force it.