Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by paulusje Quote
Oh yes with the K-5. But I doubt it would be much different with the K20d .
Well, I have the K5 now. So you kinda paved the way for me now.

@OP, sorry for hijacking the thread a little bit.

07-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
I have it installed on my Canon 5D and it's amazing. Only cost me $45 - so for me it was best $45 I have ever spent
07-31-2012, 10:41 AM   #18
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
Is this the one we're talking about?
Focusing Screen
07-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #19
Senior Member
paulusje's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 135
That's the one I use Clavius.

08-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 776
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
No. Comes cut with a selection of shims and tools.
Did you need to use shims or did you simply "plug-and-play"?
08-01-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,263
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Is there a way for somebody, who doesn't have a clue, to know exactly shich shims to use?

I once tried replacing the screen of my K20d, and it was a complete drama. I spent hours getting the stock screen back in without dust.
They package one shim by itself, which is a transparent red. They also package 3 clear shims together. The singular red shim is the default one to use, the one you are to replace the stock metal shim with.
For me, I had no problems with front or back focus afterwards. I tested all my lenses afterwards and they required the same amount of microadjustment as before.

I had the same reservations as you, namely the shimming portion. Thats understandable, but don't let it dissuade you. From what i have read, the red one is almost universally all that is needed, and further shimming is not required. But if it is, it really takes about 30 seconds to change them.

The one thing i would caution people about is the metal retainer which you pop open to get the screen out. It looks like a flimsy thing that might be easy to bend. So that would be a place to be more catious.
08-01-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,230
I used the thickest one that they sent. The stock one was too thick. I'd start with that. As cali92rs says.
08-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,263
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I used the thickest one that they sent. The stock one was too thick. I'd start with that. As cali92rs says.
For you, was the thick one the red one and packaged by itself as mine was?

Just want to help out those who might come across the this thread in the future

08-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #24
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,230
Yes, it was the red one.
08-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
They package one shim by itself, which is a transparent red. They also package 3 clear shims together. The singular red shim is the default one to use, the one you are to replace the stock metal shim with.
For me, I had no problems with front or back focus afterwards. I tested all my lenses afterwards and they required the same amount of microadjustment as before.

I had the same reservations as you, namely the shimming portion. Thats understandable, but don't let it dissuade you. From what i have read, the red one is almost universally all that is needed, and further shimming is not required. But if it is, it really takes about 30 seconds to change them.

The one thing i would caution people about is the metal retainer which you pop open to get the screen out. It looks like a flimsy thing that might be easy to bend. So that would be a place to be more catious.
Good info! Thanks everyone. This is giving me new confidence to try it again, and succeed this time too.

I should add that when I tried replacing the stock screen of my K20d, I didn't use a set from this site, but a Chinese version from ebay. There were no shims in that set. (Told you, I didn't have a clue.)
08-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #26
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,169
Does changing the focus screen void the camera's warranty?

Just curious...
08-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #27
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
No, but changing the memory card does
08-02-2012, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
No, but changing the memory card does
This just cracked me up like nutz after a hard day at work...

Evil twitch... ;P
08-02-2012, 03:43 AM   #29
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,169
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
No...
You are absolutely sure.... to the point that you would recommend that someone else accept the risk that Pentax may refuse all forms of service during, or after, the warranty period (forever) on your say so?

Again... just curious...
08-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #30
Pentaxian
Clavius's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: De Klundert
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,115
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Does changing the focus screen void the camera's warranty?

Just curious...
It would be silly if it would, because what's keeping us from quickly switching it back to the stock screen before sending it in for warrantee?

So my guess is NO, but I haven't checked the fine print.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, focus, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, screen, time, wow
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much $$ have you spent on your photography system/s? slackercruster General Talk 26 07-12-2012 05:53 AM
7 1/2 minutes well spent wtomlin76 Photographic Industry and Professionals 2 05-04-2012 01:49 PM
Average time spent? Leana Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 02-20-2011 08:32 PM
Landscape How I Spent My New Year's Eve (many photos) jaieger Post Your Photos! 6 01-04-2011 08:06 PM
They Spent Stimulus Money on What????? seacapt General Talk 20 09-18-2010 10:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top