Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Erm.... Why would you need CiF when you're on "Live View"?

What i am actually meaning is, using this S-screen IS like "Live View"... You actually SEE subjects popping in and out of focus.. Heck, you'll even see how the bokeh of the attached lens will be like wide open..

Metering not affected, i believe... Coz so far, mine's all good... Problem is, it's highly addictive, and it makes you look for fast lenses..

Don't worry Snake, f/2.5 is fast enough for you to appreciate the screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
This has me interested, too, although I'm not using excessively fast MF lenses (Soligor 24 2.5, M85 f2), but it would be nice to have more fine control by eye before the CiF kicks in.

And there's no effect on metering with AF lenses?

08-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What else is there to do on a day off when it's rainy and only in the upper 60s? Install a focus screen, duh.

My notes on the S Type, aka EE-S:
1. If you have an old metal Pentax focus screen tool, it's better than the provided Canon one.
2. Go straight for the single-packed shim with the red outline. Getting that locked in was the hardest part of the whole thing. Slide the "back" in first, then use your thumbnail to press it in right next to the locking tab.
3. Don't breathe too deeply once you open the bag containing the screen box, tweezers, etc if you don't like the smell of stale cigarette smoke
4. You will hate your life if you attempt to get rid of every dust particle.
5. It's totally usable at f/5.6 and I didn't bother with a smaller setting since almost every screen will blackout shortly thereafter.
6. If you hate focus and recompose, you can definitely use the entire screen (even with the 100% viewfinders).
7. Time vs money...and in this case, I wouldn't have wanted to attempt to cut a screen down myself.

Install took less than 5 minutes start to finish, with the fitting of the shim taking about 2 by itself.

Let's check focus with an f/1.7 lens wide open. Super crop of the original, almost 200%, focus on the number 3

Nailed it! Verified the result with two rulers and multiple tripod settings, just in case.

Now let's take it outside with the J-9 fitted, wide open, minimum focus distance (front porch, since it was pouring at that moment)

Don't think twice, just buy it
08-10-2012, 04:03 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Any one able to compare this with the KatzEye? I have a Kat in my K10 and have been very happy except that the split image messes up the spot metering. But I'm used to center weighted metering from the film days. But the split image makes using high speed lenses possible. A F1.2 is no fun on the stock screen.
I have a K10D and I had KatzEye in it in the last four years. I installed this EE-S screen a few months ago, and I must say that this simple screen is MUCH better than the KatzEye with optibrite and split prism. And much cheaper too (if you buy the original EE-S screen and cut it down by yourself).
08-10-2012, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Great to see that I've made so much converts out of you all!
Man, I should have asked FocusingScreen a fee for each Pentax S-Type screen sold!

08-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Great to see that I've made so much converts out of you all!
Man, I should have asked FocusingScreen a fee for each Pentax S-Type screen sold!

It's never too late
08-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #51
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Only if I get to charge you for the fast MF lenses I have bought and will buy due to this screen
08-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Only if I get to charge you for the fast MF lenses I have bought and will buy due to this screen
Agreed! Boo to you, diacouture! :P Kidding...! Thanks man! For such a dangerous investment..
08-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
It's never too late
Just one free screen would be great! I don't even have proper shims, just some scotch tape, so I lust over your red-rimmed shim...

08-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #54

Just one free screen would be great! I don't even have proper shims, just some scotch tape, so I lust over your red-rimmed shim...
Just a suggestion, but you could send them an email with the link to the thread you started. I'm one of the many guys that bought this screen because of you, thanks for that
My idea is:
Maybe we could come up with a list of people that bought this screen because of your thread. They can easily verify the names and they have no choice but to give you at least one free screen!
08-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #55
Site Supporter

great....after reading this thread...Im buying one next paycheck....d**n this forum for making me want to spend my money haha....on another note...how do i add those blasted emoticons to a post?! i feel left out, like the fat kid who never got picked to play dodgeball in school...