Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
...what's keeping us from quickly switching it back to the stock screen before sending it in for warrantee?
Sure... easy-peasy... when the camera works, but how will you know the switch back is done correctly when the camera is not working properly? Plus, you are dealing with experienced repair technicians at Pentax and they should be able to quickly spot an altered camera.

Again... just curious...

08-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #32
Pentaxian

My K5 is in for warranty service right now. I put back the original screen before I sent it off. No issues.

Pentax sells a replacement screen. Just like they sell replacement lenses, replacement batteries, replacement viewfinder cups.
08-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #33
Veteran Member

My K10D was sent to Pentax service for warranty repair due to a tilted viewfinder, with an ist focus screen installed. Now if they didn't care about that...why would they care about the focus screen if it was sent in for a totally unrelated issue?

The S-Type (plain) screen I ordered is set to ship on the 6th! I'm hoping this makes the camera usable with lenses faster than f/2.8, just like the darker ist screen did with my older camera.
08-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Hmm... I'm thinknig of sending in my camera for maintenance prior to the end of my warranty period. The inbuilt flash has not been working for MONTHS! Been procrastinating for a loong, loooooong while until now.

But thing is, i have an S-screen in it, you think i should swap it out with original prior to sending it off? Or can i just leave it in?

PS: I think anyone who loves manual lenses MUST have the S-type focusing screen.. It's like buying a new lens! LOL!

08-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I'd talk to them. I'm dealing with Pentax Canada, and they did an inventory of all the bits and pieces that I sent them. My worry (sent it in for sensor stains) was that they would maybe replace the body or send it somewhere and lose track of the screen. It is quick and easy to take it out, and the fussy part of the installation is figuring out which shim to use.
08-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hmm... I'm thinknig of sending in my camera for maintenance prior to the end of my warranty period. The inbuilt flash has not been working for MONTHS! Been procrastinating for a loong, loooooong while until now.

But thing is, i have an S-screen in it, you think i should swap it out with original prior to sending it off? Or can i just leave it in?

PS: I think anyone who loves manual lenses MUST have the S-type focusing screen.. It's like buying a new lens! LOL!
That's the real danger of buying this screen, it makes you want to buy fast manual focus lenses!
08-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
That's the real danger of buying this screen, it makes you want to buy fast manual focus lenses!
LoL! I agree... But this "advice" came a tad too late now... *looks at gear*

08-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LoL! I agree... But this "advice" came a tad too late now... *looks at gear*
Looking over your Sig, I agree

You have the A*85/1.4 that I am absolutely in lust with
Want one....Need one!
08-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any one able to compare this with the KatzEye? I have a Kat in my K10 and have been very happy except that the split image messes up the spot metering. But I'm used to center weighted metering from the film days. But the split image makes using high speed lenses possible. A F1.2 is no fun on the stock screen.
08-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Looking over your Sig, I agree You have the A*85/1.4 that I am absolutely in lust with Want one....Need one!
Hmm... All i can say is, get the FA77/1.8.. It's basically almost the same lens, only newer, smaller, lighter, AF, sllightly smaller F stop(f/1.8). It's almost akin to the A*85/1.4 stopped down to f/1.8; better CA and PF control IMO. (This is where i believe why the FA77 actually has better control over these factors, coz it's like already stopped odwn, get what i mean?)

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Any one able to compare this with the KatzEye? I have a Kat in my K10 and have been very happy except that the split image messes up the spot metering. But I'm used to center weighted metering from the film days. But the split image makes using high speed lenses possible. A F1.2 is no fun on the stock screen
Hmm... I don't have the KatzEye before but all i can say is, you really should give this S-screen a try. You SERIOUSLY WON'T regret it..
My recommendation is to get the one with the grid, it just "feels" better when you look into your VF vs the plain one..
08-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With regards to Pentax Service: I've sent a defective K10 to Pentax France that they kindly replaced with a K20 for a small fee, but upon reception of my brand new K20 I suddenly remembered my *ist focus screen that I left in the K10!

Well, one email later, my *ist screen was on its way from the Pentax Service Center, no questions asked...
08-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #42
Veteran Member

My recommendation is to get the one with the grid, it just "feels" better when you look into your VF vs the plain one..
Why is that? I myself was actually planning on getting the one without any markings whatsoever. So, the one without even the AF markings. I find them distracting.
08-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Why is that? I myself was actually planning on getting the one without any markings whatsoever. So, the one without even the AF markings. I find them distracting.
Hmm... Hard to say, but i'd prefer the one with the grid coz it somehow helps in framing, for me. Maybe you'd prefer the plain one since you're a more seasoned shooter than me.

The markings isn't that very obvious anyway, it's pretty subtle i'd say! But nevertheless, it don't matter which one you get, just be careful and hold onto your wallet tight after the change!
Don't say i didn't warn you....
08-08-2012, 06:10 AM   #44

The markings isn't that very obvious anyway, it's pretty subtle i'd say! But nevertheless, it don't matter which one you get, just be careful and hold onto your wallet tight after the change!
Don't say i didn't warn you....
I forget that the markings are there all the time, they really are that subtle. But I really like having them there as a compositional aid, especially because with the enlarger eyepiece I use you cannot see the entire frame sometimes.
08-08-2012, 06:12 AM   #45
Banned

This has me interested, too, although I'm not using excessively fast MF lenses (Soligor 24 2.5, M85 f2), but it would be nice to have more fine control by eye before the CiF kicks in.

And there's no effect on metering with AF lenses?