Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K5 is Squirrelproof

i was at the beach the other day and we were goofing around... i put down my camera in the sand, and then thought it would be a good idea to catch-in focus this squirrel that was begging us for food, by putting some food on top of the camera and "camouflaging" it in sand... of course, the 18-55 didn't fire the catch in focus, i can't remember if it only works on certain lenses or if i had a wrong setting, but this iphone pic shows the squirrel eating and what not to do with your equipment.

thought i'd share.

fyi: do not try this at home, sand got into the e-dials as well as the flash pop-up hinges... though after running the camera under the faucet and turning the wheels a full 360 the sand came out. as for the 18-55WR, it actually seems pretty "dust resistant" as no sand got into the focusing or zoom rings, they both turn as smooth as ever (as smooth as the 18-55 gets anyways)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPod touch  Photo 
07-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, at least you got a good shot out of it
07-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

you have to be holding the shutter button for catch in focus to work, which i'd imagine would be pretty hard if the camera is covered in sand and has a squirrel on top
07-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That's awesome bro. First time I've seen a squirrel next to a DSLR, let alone a Pentax. Great to know about running water down a K-5 will remove dust if stuck in the dial or flash hinges!

07-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I had my beloved point and shoot that I used for like 5 or 6 years ruined by sand. I was in some desert in Africa along the coast and sat my camera on a dune to try and take some timer shots... well sand got into everything... the zoom and anything and everything else...my camera became doomed. It took me a month to fix it...then the little built in flash started going then the zoomer broke...and alas... she was dead.

I should have had a ceremony in the back yard to give her a proper burial.

That being said, it started me on my road for a replacement...which lead me to researching cameras---and a Nikon point and shoot (hate it) and a Panasonic point and shoot (love it) later...and I now own a K-5. So not all is lost.
07-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@ adpo
yeah, i don't know what i was thinking exactly...
i have had my k5 for only about a month, and might have mistaken catch in focus for a feature in another camera i used to own, but i could have swore it was a pentax (i had a k100 and a kx) that had a function that was with the remote options that would trigger the shutter when somethign came into focus, rather than when the shutter was released.but it might have been another camera i had once.
07-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #7

I think I would have buried the iphone rather than risk getting sand into the mechanism of the K5 - the K5 may be well sealed BUT I personally wouldn't immerse it sand!

07-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Banned

you have found Otis, how nice!
07-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
"Otis goes to the beach"

Could be a good book series, featuring Otis
07-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
"Otis goes to the beach"

Could be a good book series, featuring Otis
Maybe an "Otis and his extended family" thread. Possibly Rupert could start it and we could add the relatives???? Cliff
07-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
You sure that Otis? It kinda looks like his cousin Hermione