Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K5 took a fall, now some strange faults...

Horrible moment on a shoot where the k5 with a 18-55 mounted fell backwards whilst on a tripod. Still don't know how but don't care as I have 4 shoots in the next 5 days and have to have a fully functioning body. Impact seems to have been absorbed by the hot shoe.

So the damage was a compression of the hot shoe metal mount which I've since bent back and a bit of a dink by the AE-L button. Thought that was that so just lept on shooting. But then I was getting loads of over exposed shots. Outdoors, great light, 50mm 1.4 set to 2.5, (I use Av) auto iso hitting 100/200.
Then I notice that the shutter speed is stuck at 1/100, hence the massively over blown pictures. it would go lower if I pushed up to say f11 but never faster than 1/100.

Got home and started trying to shoot very bright lights. Still stuck at 1/100. So knowing it's for repair an non useable I give it a couple of whacks and bingo ! It started shooting faster, still seems to hover around 1/100 but would certainly hit 1/125 1/250 etc.....

Now I go outside this morning and it seems to be the other way round now. I shoot in bright sun at f11 and it won't go BELOW 1/100 and pushes my iso to 3200 ! In daylight !
If I turn off auto iso and select 200 it will (Still in av) drop below 1/100 no problems but there is no way I should get iso 3200 at f11 outside is there !!

So it my be a dumb question but is this definitely a fault or am I paranoid after the drop and just noticing the k5 doing stuff as normal that I just haven't seen ?

Not a good day all in all.....

Last edited by London Rob; 05-14-2013 at 02:52 AM.
08-01-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Did the lens mount or more specifically the aperture level get bent?
My guess is the camera won't fire until the aperture arm makes its full path, and if bent this might cause friction and slower firing. But being stuck at 1/100 seems odd. (That seems the most severe issue, and almost certainly the body had something come loose or short, etc...)

Does this occur with other lenses?

I dropped my K5, no problems. Sadly, the lens popped off and turned into into several pieces, the worst of which was the aperture arm which was bend and twisted.

If it occurs with other lenses, the body needs repair. Hopefully just a lens. Relatively cheap to repair and you can order one short term if necessary from someplace like,
CameraLensRental.com - Your online source for lens rentals and camera rentals
08-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
No I don't think it's an aperture lever as it shows the same erratic exposure on all 3 of my primes. just put a 77 on, went outside at midday and shot the street at f8. Multi segment metering and it locked at 1/100 and pushed iso to 3200. it was over exposed. Well f8 during the day should be perfect in my experience.....

Last edited by London Rob; 05-14-2013 at 02:53 AM.
08-01-2012, 04:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
So it my be a dumb question but is this definitely a fault or am I paranoid after the drop and just noticing the k5 doing stuff as normal that I just haven't seen ?
Of course it's the fault of the fall on the ground. The fact that you can knock the camera and get different results tells me you have a cracked computer board that needs to be replaced. Something is shorting out and giving the CPU erroneous data.

It needs to go in for service and expect at least $300+ for a repair. You'll need to buy a second body if you don't have one for the remaining work as I would expect the camera to be in service about 2 weeks plus shipping back and forth.

If you are getting paid for your work (It sounds like it), then you need a second body anyway and should always have a backup unit with you on site.

08-01-2012, 04:30 AM   #5

I had a K5 that did strange things when I held the grip near the AE-L button. They replaced it (it was a week old and always had the problem). I suspect that there is a flexible PCB or similar just under the skin there. Sorry, it does not appear good. Lesson to all of us is never leave a camera on a tripod unattended.
08-01-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Expensive lesson. Just bought a new body. Lost 2 days work already and can't drop any more. Will hopefully get it repaired for a reasonable fee then sell it on, or if too expensive to fix I'll keep it as a spare as it works in Tav or full manual. If I'd have had a spare I'd be out getting paid today...
Paying around with it with all my lenses my general conclusion that the metering and the decision process that balances iso/exposure is what the damage has affected.

Models,stylists, wet cobbles, confined space: Trouble.

There are lots of little lessons from this sad tale but ultimately I failed to adhere to the golden rule if you're a jobbing snapper. OWN YOUR SHOOT.
08-01-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Excuse me for being a dick but going without a spare not only cost you money, I'm sure something to your reputation but also was very irresponsible. Yeah it costs money to have the right gear but when you are being paid for your work, then you have no choice. The client's time has value as well and you need to be ready to shoot each day you are contracted for.
08-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

No insurance for your cameras/gear?

08-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #9

My bag with my k-20 got bounced around in my boat in bad weather. Went to shoot and had the same problem with the iso stuck on 200. I kept trying to shoot and adjust settings and then the mirror fell out of place. May be that may be part of your problem as well.
Good luck
08-01-2012, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey don't worry about being a dick Peter, in my many years on this earth I've always found no shortage of people to 'give advice' after someone elses misfortune. It's a human obsession.
I make judgements as to how I scale my investments and balance it with the size and frequency of jobs I take. Looks like they've been found wanting.

But hey guess what ? I'll get this fixed and then I'll have a spare, and I'll get insurance. There's silver linings all over the place here, a zero shutter count on the new body, new peace of mind when out at work, a realisation that anything can go wrong at any time irrespective of the gig and the reassuring knowledge that some people who's camera didn't get whacked still want to take a swipe even after the horror of shelling out 700 to keep on shooting. It's almost as if they think I can't work out where I went wrong all on my own.

Bit odd really. But thanks !!!

New body due tomorrow, ever bigger hole in the bank balance. Now I know what it's like to feel like a dick.
08-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
Hey don't worry about being a dick Peter, in my many years on this earth I've always found no shortage of people to 'give advice' after someone elses misfortune. It's a human obsession.
My comments come from past experiences. I've had multiple gear failures on the same day and I think you got lucky in some respects (although it sucks that this is going to cost you money for repairs), lucky because it sounds like you can reschedule this work. Once the camera is fixed, you'll be in better shape for the next time and lets hope that never happens.
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm not a pro, but even I keep a few spare bodies around - like my K-x or K200D even.
I also have a NEX with a K-mount adapter that can step in if needed.

To buy a used K-x would only cost you peanuts nowadays and you could keep it bouncing around in your camera bag until needed. It would get the job done almost as well as the K-5.
08-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Just curious, but if it still works in TAv, why could you not continue to use it?
08-02-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh both the above 2 posts are right, a cheap as chips Kx will prevent the shoot going south should it ever happen again. Happily the situation forces me to now keep 2 bodies. It SEEMS to work in Tav but as noted in the opening post the fault has changed nature after further use. My decision is to now start with a new K5 and have my iffy one either repaired or keep it in the bag knowing that chances are I'll never need it but should I have to pull it out it would do the job with little impact on the shoot.
I just shoot Av and would never choose a body that didn't hence needing a rapid replacement.
08-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Right so a week and a few shoots with the new body and all is well. And different. It definitely focuses quicker across all my lenses, especially the FA's. Oddly my 50 1.4 that was tack sharp before now needs +3 in fine focus and the 77 which I think was -3 is now up at +6 and sharper than I could ever get it on the old body. My da35 Limited is sharper then a razor with no adjustments cause frankly that lens is beyond any human notion of perfection.
But how I wish there was an easier way to adjust focus for individual lenses. I dream of being able to shoot, review then give the image a plus or minus to see how it would have looked. Or just a mention in the exif data of what adjustment you dialled in whilst testing.

Old body works fine in full manual so will be my back up and already has a gig. Rowdy pub, pretty dark so I'll take the beater with a manual speedlight and the wr kit lens. All is well that ends well and so on......