Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Wireless flash question

Hi there,

I got a K5 and just purchased a Metz 44AF flash, I purchase this flash due to the lower price and the accurate exposure control of Metz I learn from experience, lacking a LCD display I thought there is nothing special to play with, but to my surprise the flash has build in wireless slave function. I can use my K5 to trigger the Metz with TTL, the overall exposure is little over but still usable, the flash doesn't look like using light sensor trigger but wireless, as the camera has to enable wireless flash in order to use this feature, and the flash manual said the slave function is compatible with most model DC, I am new to this and wonder how it works, can I use multiple flash setup ? I am not going to use multi flash, just wonder how the flash 'handshake' with the camera, I have some electronics background and struggling to learn about how things work !

08-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the camera flash communicates the exposure info by sending out a particular pattern of flashes that the unit on the other end can decode. The intensity of the light is so high that the external flash doesn't need any fancy sensors to be able to clearly decode the signal.
08-04-2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think the same, I just don't know this has become mainstream and supported by most camera.
08-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 'wireless', read 'optical' flash communication does only work between the same manufacturer's systems.

The Pentax one is fairly primitive I find, you can have multiple remote flashes but all these only really work with P-TTL mode, you can't adjust individual power remotely.

The Nikon system does allow up to three groups (you could have multiple flashes in each group) and you can adjust power for each of those groups from your camera and if I remember my Nikon D80 (traded it for the K-5 last December) you could have each group of flashes set to 'auto' mode or 'manual' mode.

Pg 193 of the K-5 manual gives some basic details on what happens between the camera and flash.

08-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I see, I know Nikon has a more advanced flash control system, I don't need multiple flash at this stage, and I doubt 'wireless via flash' can do multiple flash properly, it should use RF or infrared I think.
08-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

And most multiple flash setups use a radio trigger and the power of each flash is set manually, no relying on P-TTL, except that some studio lighting systems can have the power of each strobe set manually, remotely. (if that makes sense!)
08-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #7

The Metz 48 can operate wirelessly either P-TTL or manual if you update the firmware.

08-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
And most multiple flash setups use a radio trigger and the power of each flash is set manually, no relying on P-TTL, except that some studio lighting systems can have the power of each strobe set manually, remotely. (if that makes sense!)
Paul C Buff has the Cyber Commander which allows to set flash power remotely, but you need to be using AB, WL or Einstein strobes.

AFAIK Pentax has no such options.
08-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
Paul C Buff has the Cyber Commander which allows to set flash power remotely, but you need to be using AB, WL or Einstein strobes.

AFAIK Pentax has no such options.
Yes, that Paul C Buff system looks nice. I just wish I either had the funds or the need for that type of equipment.