Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Buy something that costs north of $1k without a warranty? No way! I also bought the extended 2-year warranty Pentax was offering for $20 at the time (to counter the bad press on things like the sensor stains, I would guess).

08-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After looking at all the rants and raves about the K5, I wanted one. The price in my country was about N$12 500 AND it was out of stock indefinitely. So, what to do? I have a K20 and had no problems at all, so I bit the bullet and got the K5 for about N$7500 via a friend that brought it in from Europe, reasoning that the money I saved should somehow cancel the lack of local warranty services. Sending it back to Holland for a repair would be a major schlepp, but it has worked flawlessly for the few months that I had. So, yes I would and did buy it without an effective warranty and has not been sorry. Hope I say still say it in a years time

BTW fantastic camera
08-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #18
Forum Member

No, I wouldn't risk it personally.

Our K-5 is 11 months old and has performed flawlessly up until recently, when it developed the mirror flop issue completely out of the blue. It's of the so-called "hardcore" variety where the mirror flips when random buttons are pressed. It's seen fairly light use (not sure on the shutter count though) and hasn't been abused, yet it still suffered a failure. If I'd sold it privately a month or so ago, when it wasn't exhibiting any symptoms of a problem, then the new owner would have been stuck with it and paying out of pocket to get it fixed since the warranty would not have been transferable. So I think the potential for problems is still there regardless of whether a seller is honest or not, and independent of how the camera has been treated previously.

It's currently being sent in for service so I'm glad it came with a 2-year warranty.