Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Would you risk buying a brand new K5 without warranty?

I'd like to ask the opinion of K5 and K30 users.

I have the opportunity to purchase a brand new K5 online for the same price as a brand new K30. Unfortunately, the item will come from another country, which means I won't be able to avail of th 1 year parts and service warranty. So, if you guys had a choice, would you:

- Buy a brand new K5 without warranty, or;
- buy a brand new K30 with a 1-year parts and service warranty.

All opinions will be greatly appreciated

08-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

There are a lot of people who successfully buy a used body on this forum without problems. However in my own personal sense, I would never buy a new priced body without warranty. Go with the K-30, you won't be upset, I have a K-5 and my friend has a K-30, and I can use his without feeling compromised of the lesser buttons or top LCD that the K-5 has. Also the K-30 will likely to have less problems than the K-5, falling buttons, stained sensor, front focusing in tungsten lighting; and from my own personal experience, inconsistent with often inaccurate auto-focusing locks in low light.
08-01-2012, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Many will disagree, but I would rather buy slightly used camera that the new one without warranty.

My reasoning is simple: slightly used 100% functional camera proves that everything is OK with it (of course if seller does not lie about it). With the new one you can get camera with some manufacturing defects, in the worst case you can even get non working body out of the box.
Also, used camera is cheaper than the new one
08-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Many will disagree, but I would rather buy slightly used camera that the new one without warranty.

My reasoning is simple: slightly used 100% functional camera proves that everything is OK with it (of course if seller does not lie about it). With the new one you can get camera with some manufacturing defects, in the worst case you can even get non working body out of the box.
Also, used camera is cheaper than the new one
Excellent outlook on buying used vs buying new w/o warranty.

08-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a K5 and really enjoy the camera. However, I was also stung by the sensor stain issue and the camera had to be replaced under warranty, so I would caution you against a new purchase without warranty on a camera with this problem at release. I know later serial numbers were stain-free, but how can you know what you are buying? If I was in your position, I would go for the K30 with the warranty. The K30 doesn't give up that much to the K5 and has some new improvements - Prime M, improved AF, focus peaking to mention a few. I have the K-01 with the same Prime M processor and it produces great images. Also, the focus peaking is very handy for manual focus if you are ever into that.
08-01-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Many will disagree, but I would rather buy slightly used camera that the new one without warranty. My reasoning is simple: slightly used 100% functional camera proves that everything is OK with it (of course if seller does not lie about it). With the new one you can get camera with some manufacturing defects, in the worst case you can even get non working body out of the box. Also, used camera is cheaper than the new one
Agree, 100%
Used means tested as far as I'm concerned. Assuming the seller is reliable.
I would not buy new without a warranty. I read someplace that majority of electronic items that fail do so within a very short period. Some are DOA from the seller.

Not sure in your country but Amazon price as of right now (body only) k-5 $894, k-30 $846. So $48 more for k-5?? Not a hard decision, go for brand new k-5. Maybe pricing there is different.

Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only): Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed 16 MP CMOS Digital SLR (Black, Body Only): Camera & Photo
08-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Just buy a new K-5 or K-30 and add the additional 2 year warranty (if still available) for only $20. IMHO saving a little bit of money isnt worth the risk sometimes.
08-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Forum Member

same boat

let me jsut say that last month i thought the exact same thing, i conisdered a k30, a k5new, and a k5used.
i saw some crazy deals on a k5 but ended up spending the $999 to buy from a dealer from pentax's authorized dealer list.
one can make the argument that a used product has it's intricacies checked and is a proven piece of equipment, but that sidesteps the whole point of the word "guarantee".

with a new camera, the seller will exchange it if it comes faulty, and then afterwards, pentax has your back for teh duration of the warrenty period.
so either way, you have a 100% properly workign camera with the worst case scenario being a month out for repairs/replacement SHOULD it come to that, which by the way, a used camera doesn't have the luxury of unless you pay out your own pocket.

if you buy used, it may work fine, but you never know what that camera has been through before you and your next pic could be the straw that broke the camels back.

i think it is simply ridiculous to argue for a used over a new unless you receive a drastic price difference, isnt his jsut he used vs new car argument?
except i can easily fix my car its just tubes and belts and gears ultimately, cant say the same about the delicate and precice contrustion of a digital camera

08-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #9

for a price of $300? yes!
08-01-2012, 09:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would think twice buying the K-5 with warranty, let alone w/o.
08-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have a K-5, but if I were buying today I'd buy a K-30 anyway. The fact that it has the warranty just makes the K-30 that much better.
08-02-2012, 04:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a K-5 with warranty. Worked perfectly for the first 4 months with over 10K shots. Then the pop-up flash stopped working and the camera got the well published "lock ups". Many people fixed the lock up problem with upgrade to the lastest firmware, however I had already upgraded the FW to the latest (V. 1.13) Sent it in for repair and the replaced the main PCB/FPC and the pop-up flash assembly. Very glad I had the warranty!

NaCl(moral, get a body with a warranty, even if it works well for a while doesn't mean it won't break later)H2O
08-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm chicken, I never buy electronic consumer products without warranty. In fact, the only thing I purchased without warranty in my life was my latest RC car

However I purchased K-5 in November 2010 and only used the warranty to exchange it due to the early "sensor stains" issue. Never had any problems since then. So I guess I'd have no problem buying a K-5 without warranty at a very good price now... but as I mentioned, I'm chicken and always want extra assurance
08-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #14

Well, I did buy my K5 without warranty, unbeknownst to me at the time. It was a good price and came from Canada in good shape and arrived in a very reasonable time frame. I really like my camera and am very happy with it. But, had I known I was getting a new camera without a warranty, I'd have spent the higher price to have the peace of mind of having a warranty in effect on my equipment. This was in June, before the K30 was available. I read the reviews and weighed the differences of the two cameras and decided on the K5, I am not sorry for that choice either, I like the buttons and the LCD screen and don't miss the scene modes. I've had a mega zoom for years with the scene modes and really never used them. The K5 has been around a few years and has been, IMO, refined through firmware updates and real world usage to the point where it should be pretty reliable. The price is also dropping lately at authorized dealers here in the US. If I were able to start over now, I'd pay the higher price and still get a new K5. It is an excellent camera that has functioned almost flawlessly so far. It does have some focusing issues that require extra effort to compensate for, once you become aware of when and how to do it. Not a big problem. I hope this helps, good luck with your decision.
08-03-2012, 04:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter

The much dust, rain, freezing, sea water, physical abuse my K-5 have taken, I would consider buying a 2nd one without warranty, but it would actually feel safer to buy a used one (even a few months), than a brand new one. As some has said already, most faults with electronic devices are discovered early in its lifetime. So with a used one, the first owner have sort of taken that risk already. If a K-5 is free from that sort of mistakes, it is built to last way beyond any warranty.