Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-5 Won't Swtich Off Aperture Priority

I just got the Pentax K-5 and I was really excited to use it as it's my first dslr. I got the Pentax A 35-105mm F3.5 lens to go with it. I turn it on and start taking pictures with it, but they all turn out blurry (I was manually focusing it and it came out clear on the viewfinder but blurry on the screen after I took the shot). I later on realized that I didn't have image stabilization on, but even with it turned on, the pictures were still a bit blurry. That's when I figured out that no matter what setting I had the camera on (aperture priority, shutter priority, program, etc) it would always show as being on aperture priority, besides bulb and manual mode. Auto mode didn't work (is that just because the lens doesn't support it?). But the real question I'm trying to ask is: Why isn't it switching from priority mode and why are my pictures all blurry?

Here are some pictures before image stabilization:

IMGP5336 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP5302 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP5290 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP5289 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And here's with image stabilization:

IMGP5372 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
IMGP5365 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks!

08-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What makes you think your camera isn't switching out of aperture priority mode, you say "it would always show as being on aperture priority".

Also, your photos are blurry due to slow shutter speeds, something that happens in aperture priority mode when you camera max's out the ISO and then has no other option other than to slow down the shutter.
08-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some of the photos you have shown had such a slow shutter speed that you are seeing extreme blur from camera shake.

Then, you are seeing blur, from a very shallow depth of field, such as the portrait shot.

Go into the settings and change the camera to "allow use of aperture ring", then set the lens to "A"

You should be able to use all modes with that lens.
08-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First make sure the lens is in the 'A' position, every shot you took was at f/3.5 which indicates to me that you may have the lens set at f/3.5 not in 'A' When in the 'A' position the dial on the camera will control the aperture, if the lens is not in 'A' then the lens controls the aperture and the camera will indicate the aperture as "F- -".

Second, as noted above you are using very slow shutter speeds, 1.3 seconds in one case. With that lens at 35mm you would have to be shooting at 1/30 or 1/60second to have a chance at an un-blurry image.

Third, with those shutter speeds shake reduction is immaterial, you are way beyond the bounds where it will overcome the shake. And SR, while nice, is not a panacea, try to learn to get the shot without it, and then use it as a help when you have to.

As far as I know if the lens is not in "A" mode then any of the AUTO or GREEN modes on the camera (Tv, Sv, Av, AUTO) will show only as Av mode. Since the lens (when not in "A") is acting as a fully manual lens the camera has no way to control it and therefore the AUTO mode will not work, it just shows "Av" and the aperture indicator on screen will show "F- -"

The aperture ring is the first ring on the lens closest to the camera, try turning it, if it turns, look at the settings, they should go from 3.5 up to 22 and then have a green 'A' position. If you put the camera in 'M' mode you can then set the aperture using the ring on the lens and meter using the green button on the back of the camera. But putting the lens into 'A' mode makes things easier until you have a better handle on how things work. To get it out of 'A' mode you have to press in the little release button beside the 'A'.

08-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
KungPOW - Thank you so much! That seemed to fix it
08-01-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
jatrax - that really helped. I'm going to keep all of that in mind when shooting. Thank you!
04-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #7

Pentax 18-250 lens

I read these posts with interest ... I also get the aperture mode 'sticking' but only sometimes. I am using the Pentax 18-250 lens so there is no 'A' mode on the lens. Maybe I am just doing something really stupid??

04-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Roddy, the Pentax DA 18-250 does not have Aperture Ring

SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roddy Quote
I read these posts with interest ... I also get the aperture mode 'sticking' but only sometimes. I am using the Pentax 18-250 lens so there is no 'A' mode on the lens. Maybe I am just doing something really stupid??
Do you have a problem?