Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 138
Stops on the K-5

My question is about defining/quantifying a "full stop". If I understand correctly, in the old days of film a full stop down was achieved through 2 steps down because each step was a 1/2 increment (not sure if my terminology is correct). Whereas now, specifically on the K-5, a full stop is achieved through 3 steps down because each step is a 1/3 increment. So, on the K-5, in aperture terms, 3 steps/clicks down equals 1 full f/stop down; and in shutter speed terms, 3 steps/clicks down equals 1 full stop down? Any guidance would be appreciated!


Last edited by CMG; 08-02-2012 at 11:23 PM.
08-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Yes, although you can configure it to be 1/2 or 1/3 stops in custom menu #1, item #1 ("EV Steps")
08-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
Junior Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Dunstable - UK
Posts: 30
One stop is defined as halving or doubling one of the three elements of exposure - for ISO and shutter duration this is obvious as their scales are linear so you can mathematically double or half - with aperture it's the same principle but concerns area - so for aperture multiply by 1.4 to double the area. Doubling or halving the exposure does not offer much flexibility so cameras can work in half, third or smaller divisions of whole stops.
08-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
CMG
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 138
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Darren Quote
One stop is defined as halving or doubling one of the three elements of exposure - for ISO and shutter duration this is obvious as their scales are linear so you can mathematically double or half - with aperture it's the same principle but concerns area - so for aperture multiply by 1.4 to double the area. Doubling or halving the exposure does not offer much flexibility so cameras can work in half, third or smaller divisions of whole stops.
Thanks for the multiplier....that's very helpful!

08-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
CMG
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 138
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Yes, although you can configure it to be 1/2 or 1/3 stops in custom menu #1, item #1 ("EV Steps")
Does the camera apply that change to each of the three components of exposure?
08-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
Does the camera apply that change to each of the three components of exposure?
Aperture, yes.
Shutter speed, yes.
ISO, no.
08-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
CMG
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 138
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Aperture, yes.
Shutter speed, yes.
ISO, no.
Thanks. Any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of using 1/2 stops vs 1/3 stops? Seems like in the old days everyone used 1/2 stops. Is 1/3 a real plus or more of a "bells and whistles" type feature?
08-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member
alohadave's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quincy, MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,024
QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
Thanks. Any thoughts on advantages/disadvantages of using 1/2 stops vs 1/3 stops? Seems like in the old days everyone used 1/2 stops. Is 1/3 a real plus or more of a "bells and whistles" type feature?
I use 1/2 stops because you can't get to the flash sync speed on 1/3 stops.

08-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,737
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Aperture, yes.
Shutter speed, yes.
ISO, no.
There is an option to set ISO in full stops, or the same as aperture and shutter speed.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, step, steps, terms
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/3 vs 1/2 EV stops cbope Pentax K-5 29 08-17-2012 06:29 AM
K-30 stops responding mspoon Pentax K-30 & K-50 17 08-09-2012 07:42 AM
How many stops in an ND32 DaveHolmes Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 01-13-2012 09:44 AM
Newbie question about f-stops joshfishkins Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 07-03-2011 08:08 PM
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 (FL and f-stops) fLyIr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 03-09-2011 09:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top