Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K5 Rant

We has waited enuff. After a year and half me has decided to plunge and splurge, we finally invested in a K5. Rumors and rumors of rumors and a full frame pentax, other then 645D, we waited. Shareware, bloatware, specware, software, hardware. Full frame pentax hmm “Vapourware”. Who knows maybe they will release one. Have had new K5 for around 8hrs now, am I impressed f,yer, this cam is just amazing, why did I wait so long? Shut the gate after the horse has bolted I guess. Low light yer, you pixel peepers can piss off, I dont mind it up to 6400 and is workable for me, have not tried the higher setting yet, not game to I might pee in ma pants with excitement. Na its all good I am impressed. I shall post a couple pics with this rant, no adjustments other then what camera raw does and converted to size in PS no editing from raw, what the cam sees, some may think pics are crap, me dont care, am testing camera. Also no sensor stain will add serial to DB later. To early for any other known issuses, who cares, the camera an extension of my arm, eye and brain and yer baby make it work for me. Although a nice piece of equipment. I had better stop I am getting goose bumps in unexpected locations. No offence intened to any party.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

Shane

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha.. Very nice post! Can't agree more, I've owned the K5 since it came out, and it still impresses me every time I use it. ...But I understand that it's easy to get spoiled this way.
08-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Haha.. Very nice post! Can't agree more, I've owned the K5 since it came out, and it still impresses me every time I use it. ...But I understand that it's easy to get spoiled this way.
Thanks. Not wanna get in the compare issue with K7, this K5 baby is my woman and I think she likes me. Or have I fell in lust? I dont know how to explain, will have a go,____ ever had something in your hands that feels right or, bugger I dont know, I is rambling. If I could smile any louder me might break ma teeth

Thanks again
Cheers
Shane
08-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
Riv

Finally a happy post about the K5. Since I upgraded the K30 to the K5 I've seem to hit post after post of issues that I didn't notice before I ordered it. Mine gets here in about 12hrs, hoping it's ok.

Need not be said but.. Enjoy your camera, though the person in the chair looks none to happy with you

08-03-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
Finally a happy post about the K5. Since I upgraded the K30 to the K5 I've seem to hit post after post of issues that I didn't notice before I ordered it. Mine gets here in about 12hrs, hoping it's ok.

Need not be said but.. Enjoy your camera, though the person in the chair looks none to happy with you
Keep in mind I have had this K5 only for a short time, It feels right to me even the the high ISO, I am not dissapointted. Hope your's arrives saftley, I dont believe you shall be disapointed, read up about its quirks and you shall produce great shots, above all believe in yourself first, ( helps with the shot)

lmaof person in chair is my dad, old school film and hates being in shot and caught on mac since we directed him to right PC-not.

Thankyou

Cheers
Shane
08-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good post Shane.

I traded my K20 last December (which I loved) for the K5 (which I also love).

It does everything I want very well including some professional (paid) real estate photography.

Will I want and/or purchase the FF when or if it arrives? Maybe. But until then, everytime my hand goes through the nice leather hand grip I put on my K5 and my fingers curl around the really nice and just the right size hand grip I think, "This is the camera for me."

Does the AF sometimes bother me when it won't focus where I want it to? Yes, but I quickly recompose and refocus and get the shot. The P-TTL flash system doesn't work for me sometimes. So I turn the Metz to 'A' mode, turn the Pentax to 'M' and get the shots I want. (press the green button to get a quick ambient reading and work from there)

It works for me and 7 months later I still love the camera and still think it's the best for me right now.
08-03-2012, 03:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Good post Shane.

I traded my K20 last December (which I loved) for the K5 (which I also love).

It does everything I want very well including some professional (paid) real estate photography.

Will I want and/or purchase the FF when or if it arrives? Maybe. But until then, everytime my hand goes through the nice leather hand grip I put on my K5 and my fingers curl around the really nice and just the right size hand grip I think, "This is the camera for me."

Does the AF sometimes bother me when it won't focus where I want it to? Yes, but I quickly recompose and refocus and get the shot. The P-TTL flash system doesn't work for me sometimes. So I turn the Metz to 'A' mode, turn the Pentax to 'M' and get the shots I want. (press the green button to get a quick ambient reading and work from there)

It works for me and 7 months later I still love the camera and still think it's the best for me right now.
Thanks

Still have my 20, sadly me sold 10k, I miss her. Love my K7 although she didnt have the feel of the k10 or k20 with grip (me has big hands) Have feelings for K7 and all her quirks, this K5 is Hmmmmmmmmmm and some. I think we is in lust. No faults yet, touch wood.

P:S where do I get one of those nice leather grips.

Thanks again
Cheers
Shane

08-03-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lamented bovine Quote
Thanks

Still have my 20, sadly me sold 10k, I miss her. Love my K7 although she didnt have the feel of the k10 or k20 with grip (me has big hands) Have feelings for K7 and all her quirks, this K5 is Hmmmmmmmmmm and some. I think we is in lust. No faults yet, touch wood.

P:S where do I get one of those nice leather grips.

Thanks again
Cheers
Shane
Hi Shane,

The grips are by a company called camdapter Camdapter

They're not cheap but since I can't afford leather seats in my 10 year old Hyundai I can at least afford a leather hand grip (and matching shoulder strap) for my K-5!!

Must keep the priorities in order, you understand.
08-03-2012, 04:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Shane,

They're not cheap but since I can't afford leather seats in my 10 year old Hyundai I can at least afford a leather hand grip (and matching shoulder strap) for my K-5!!

Thank you Michael

Yup understand that, have 2 cars 08 AUDI and 4x4 Toyota deisel troop carrier. lots of rego and insurence, dont knock ya hyundai great cars. Never really got off on the matching thing, alway went for what works for me. IF u want matching straps then one need to have hide from same beast yes? Nah seriously though, Thanks for the site I have been using black rapids.

Cheers mate

Shane
08-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lamented bovine Quote
Thank you Michael

Yup understand that, have 2 cars 08 AUDI and 4x4 Toyota deisel troop carrier. lots of rego and insurence, dont knock ya hyundai great cars. Never really got off on the matching thing, alway went for what works for me. IF u want matching straps then one need to have hide from same beast yes? Nah seriously though, Thanks for the site I have been using black rapids.

Cheers mate

Shane
Actually, I got lucky with the shoulder strap, I ordered the hand grip first, liked it and when I asked the guy who makes these things for a shoulder strap he did mention that he had some of the same leather left, enough to do the shoulder strap and one more hand strap (I had a Nikon D80 at that point as well as the K20). I decided to bite the bullet and order all that.

If I ever get a back up K-5 or keep that when the Full Frame mystery comes out, I'll be ready with two matching hand straps and one (oops, just one) matching shoulder strap.

Once in a while I go a bit mad. The straps ARE a bit expensive but once in a while it's nice to have something that seems to be made well instead of the normal mass produced stuff.

Hmm, if the FF comes out then maybe I could have a special shoulder strap made that has "PENTAX FULL-FRAME DSLR" stencilled on it in VERY LARGE LETTERS.
08-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You made a good choice getting the K-5, I have had mine for five months now and just these last two weeks I have gotten the chance to really put this camera through the motions at Disney World and Universal Studios, I took it on most of the rides, it got bumped around a lot, and doused several times and it just kept on going, when I went on rides like Space Mountain I just took the 18-135mm lens off and put it in my pocket(with the rear cap on it of course) and the camera body (with battery grip attached and body cap) in the other pocket, I had shorts on that has those huge pockets on the bottom of the legs, this camera did awesome on that ride. I put this camera through a lot of abuse but it came out on top and produced many awesome pics for me.
I agree that you can just sit there and wait for the "next best thing", but you are going to miss a lot of great shots doing that.
08-03-2012, 06:37 AM   #12
Forum Member

Hi Shane,

May i ask which adapter you are using for a K-5?
08-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Soap Quote
May i ask which adapter you are using for a K-5?
Sure, no problem. I'm using the one for the Manfrotto quick release, it's the one with the neoprene but no lip. I have Manfrotto ball heads on both my tripod and monopod.

There are probably better plates (Arca) but these work for the photography I do at present.

I like the Camdapter adapter because it does allow you to keep the plate and strap on at all times and still get to the battery compartment. The shoulder strap also attaches with the hand strap still on the camera.

There are probably many good strap systems out there. This one works for me.

Last edited by mtansley; 08-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.
08-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
You made a good choice getting the K-5, I have had mine for five months now and just these last two weeks I have gotten the chance to really put this camera through the motions at Disney World and Universal Studios, I took it on most of the rides, it got bumped around a lot, and doused several times and it just kept on going, when I went on rides like Space Mountain I just took the 18-135mm lens off and put it in my pocket(with the rear cap on it of course) and the camera body (with battery grip attached and body cap) in the other pocket, I had shorts on that has those huge pockets on the bottom of the legs, this camera did awesome on that ride. I put this camera through a lot of abuse but it came out on top and produced many awesome pics for me.
I agree that you can just sit there and wait for the "next best thing", but you are going to miss a lot of great shots doing that.
Thanks, I agree somewhat, we shoot landscape, so me wait for the best shot, I use a Dslr with a film mindset, its the way I shoot with my clients, they seem to like my shots of them, so me will stay with my style.

Cheers

Shane
08-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #15

Thanks for this Shane. Nice to have a positive view! I've had mine a few months now (up fron my K7 which I kept) and I'm really happy. Any problems are me and my learning curve, not the K5. Learning more every time I shoot. Heading to Vancouver Island in a month and can't wait to try some new situations!!