Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Second battery K5

Hello!!
Since I bought the da*55, my k5 battery life decreases a lot. This is one of the reason that prompted me to think about buying a second battery.

Unfortunately, the original Pentax Battery is about 75euro. Looking on Amazon, I found others for 16-20euros. Nice, but are those good?

I just want to ask you to help me. Have you ever bought a non-original battery? How do you feel with it? Performances? Any advice?

In addition to this, I saw that the original one has a 1860mAh voltage; the "copy" 2000 mAh. Can this difference cause any sort of problem?

Thank you very much!!

Gabriel

08-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased 5 so far for Q and K5 , from AU eBay, all from China or Hong Kong with no problems at all.
yes, they usually have higher capacity than the original Pentax but it could be just on paper, I do not think that they last any longer than Pentax
kind regards
jack
08-03-2012, 05:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I own several and they're going strong. I run one in my grip all the time and between it and the one in camera I never run out of power during day- long outings. Remember, Pentax does NOT make their own batteries.
08-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have found the same. So far the third party K20D batteries are as good as the originals. I only have genuine in the K5. I have had bad third party ones in an old Panasonic P&S, didn't last much at all. It can be the luck of the draw. Don't spend more than you are prepared to lose.

08-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #5

Hello, I bought a non-original Pentax spare battery and found that it actually holds out longer than the original! It's simply called "High Capacity Battery. For D-LI90 Replacement Li-ion Battery 7.2V". It adds "MADE IN CHINA" - and that's it! No capacity rating in numbers. But works super!
08-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you are looking at Amazon, I think they offer the "Pearstone" brand replacement. I have 2 and they have worked fine for over a year. They hold charge at least as long as the original Pentax batteries.
08-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all!
Yes I was looking at Amazon because it's the first website I remember. On eBay for example I didn't know where to look (from china, uk...)

02-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Hi! Just got my K5 II and while shooting mainly street I'm not fond of having a grip (Whereas it's useful for studio or indoor portraits)
So thanks a lot for this information as I'm looking for good no name batteries to spare one or two in my backpack.
Have a great day everyone!
02-05-2013, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThomasSimon Quote
Hi! Just got my K5 II and while shooting mainly street I'm not fond of having a grip (Whereas it's useful for studio or indoor portraits)
So thanks a lot for this information as I'm looking for good no name batteries to spare one or two in my backpack.

Welcome Aboard. Enjoy the K-5II!
02-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You must have small hands.The K-5, ME Super and LX were difficult to hold without their respective drives.
02-05-2013, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bienvenue !
02-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
You must have small hands.The K-5, ME Super and LX were difficult to hold without their respective drives.
Yes actually I've decent sized hands ;D But it's the kind of size for which a K-5 is as well holdable as a Mamiya M 645. I mean... Doh! ok I don't have big hands! Have a nice day all!
03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #13

I'm not sure what mah (milliamp per hour) rating the stock battery is, but on Ebay I see them in 1400, 1860, 2000 and 2100 mah ratings. The higher means more juice and longer lasting, though of course these are all made in China and who knows how accurate the rating is.

And to the user who does not like using a grip...get some nice old school Metal & Glass lenses and I bet you'll change your mind. The grip filler with 6 eneloops vastly improves the balance and handling.