Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #1

K-5 AF issue, possibly the lens?

Hello, everyone.

I observed two issues with my camera and lens, the K-5 and DA*16-50 (with B+W filter attached).

First issue is that, right after turning on the camera, it would not autofocus at all when I press the shutter button halfway. No motor moving, no red boxes on the screen, no nothing.

Since when did cameras need warm-up time? This is an on-and-off behavior, but happens more than 50% of the time especially after some time of non-usage. The autofocus starts to work again after a few seconds. Weird.

Second problem I have encountered is that the camera will not focus to infinity when shooting landscape photos. I was actually out today shooting some cityscape shots, and was very frustrated because it just won't autofocus. I had to change it to manual, which is not difficult at all, but still very frustrating.

The composition was like the following:

sky
buildings
river

I can hear the motor moving and see the dial moving to infinity sign, but no red box, thus no shutter release (configured it so it wouldn't release if not in focus) The hexagon in the viewfinder just keeps blinking.

I do not know if the problem is with the body or the lens. I only have one lens so I can't test it with a different one.

If anyone has any ideas what is wrong, or advice on what I should do, please help me.

I fear that eventually I would have to send both of them to Pentax for repair.

Last edited by ljj1222; 08-03-2012 at 07:33 PM.
08-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I would very much suspect the lens; try to find (borrow) another K mount to confirm.
08-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
where in NY are you? I have some non SDM lenses you can try on your body, or a K-5 that I can use to test your 16-50 for you.
08-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
Like you said, PENFRED, I think it's more of a lens issue. But if I am going to send these to Pentax for repair, I guess I better send both.

Hey usmcxm35, I live in Queens, NYC. If you live in the city, I would love to take that offer.

08-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ljj1222 Quote
Hello, everyone.

I observed two issues with my camera and lens, the K-5 and DA*16-50 (with B+W filter attached).

First issue is that, right after turning on the camera, it would not autofocus at all when I press the shutter button halfway. No motor moving, no red boxes on the screen, no nothing.

Since when did cameras need warm-up time? This is an on-and-off behavior, but happens more than 50% of the time especially after some time of non-usage. The autofocus starts to work again after a few seconds. Weird.

Second problem I have encountered is that the camera will not focus to infinity when shooting landscape photos. I was actually out today shooting some cityscape shots, and was very frustrated because it just won't autofocus. I had to change it to manual, which is not difficult at all, but still very frustrating.

The composition was like the following:

sky
buildings
river

I can hear the motor moving and see the dial moving to infinity sign, but no red box, thus no shutter release (configured it so it wouldn't release if not in focus) The hexagon in the viewfinder just keeps blinking.

I do not know if the problem is with the body or the lens. I only have one lens so I can't test it with a different one.

If anyone has any ideas what is wrong, or advice on what I should do, please help me.

I fear that eventually I would have to send both of them to Pentax for repair.
I am sorry for you trouble.

It sounds like you own some Pentax photography equipments . . . .
08-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Take the filter off and see what happens.
08-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #7

I was about to (and will) post a question about an AF problem I encountered recently- it did turn out to be the filter, though mine was a circular polarizer.