Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Mirror problem when recharged battery is loaded

When I put a recharged battery(Pentax Bat.) into my K-5, my mirror will flip up and return without me doing a thing. If I attempt to take a picture, the mirror will continue to flip up and return as long as I have my finger on the release. If I touch any of the other controls, the mirror will flip up and return. If I turn the camera off, it will momentarily return to normal, but will soon repeat the same action of mirror flip and return. The shutter does not activate at this time. I've never had a camera do this. Any suggestions? Is it warrenty time?

08-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Warranty time.
08-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Sounds like "K-5 mirror flop" issue.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/152033-k5-mirror-flops-smoking-gun-found.html

As stated, you will need to send it in for repairs.
08-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I thought we had seen the last of the mirror flop issue. Apparently not.

08-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same problem here but mine flop or is it flip went away when pressing optical preview (on the on/off control).
08-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Since posting this a few days ago, I have run across many others with this same problem. It is definitely more common with a fully charged battery. Since I am going to Colorado in a few weeks, I can't take a chance in sending it in now for repair. Warrenty is up in November, so I guess I can send it in after I get back. I do wish it would just go away though!
08-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just let the battery sit overnight after being freshly charged, to let the current drop down a bit to spec. The Pentax charger seems to dump too much juice into the battery, but if you let it settle down everything behaves normally. I thought that was the consensus here about working with the issue.

To avoid any battery issues, I have 4 batteries - two Pentax originals and two clones - and keep battery 1 in the camera and battery 2 is charged and waiting. (The clones I keep as spares or if I need lots of reserve battery capacity). By the time battery 2 gets put into the camera it is properly 'seasoned' and ready for use. Then battery 1 gets charged and seasoned until it's turn comes again.