Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Follow up. Ok, yesterday I received the part (button) from Pentax. Just the part, no instructions, nothing. Well it was free from Pentax. So... I took the button and pushed it into the hole and ... of course then I could remove lenses. But...(there had to be one right?)...then when I put a lens back on my K-5 the button popped off. So, I put it back, then it popped off again. Tried numerous times to get it to catch (there is a very small indentation around the shaft of the button) but no positive lock could be obtained by me. I even removed the K-mount ring to see if there was something I could learn or do from there - no luck there either. So now the button is in place covered by tape to hold it to the body. I think this will still require a trip to the repair shot but at least I have the button and can remove lenses.

Moral - Tape is the DIY persons friend.

I shot some pictures of the process but they consist of me putting the thing in the hole. If there is a further follow up on this, I will post then.

08-22-2012, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Follow up. Ok, yesterday I received the part (button) from Pentax. Just the part, no instructions, nothing. Well it was free from Pentax. So... I took the button and pushed it into the hole and ... of course then I could remove lenses. But...(there had to be one right?)...then when I put a lens back on my K-5 the button popped off. So, I put it back, then it popped off again. Tried numerous times to get it to catch (there is a very small indentation around the shaft of the button) but no positive lock could be obtained by me. I even removed the K-mount ring to see if there was something I could learn or do from there - no luck there either. So now the button is in place covered by tape to hold it to the body. I think this will still require a trip to the repair shot but at least I have the button and can remove lenses.

Moral - Tape is the DIY persons friend.

I shot some pictures of the process but they consist of me putting the thing in the hole. If there is a further follow up on this, I will post then.
Search here because someone else had the same thing happen and when the spoke with someone at CRIS or wherever were told to put a drop of epoxy on the button and make certain it did not touch the sides of the hole. But I remember reading that thread here someplace but can't find it easily.
08-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Thanks for trying to do the instructional and best of luck with the button.
I'm getting ready to spring for a second K-5 and hope it is as well put together as my first one (no probs) but will have to wait and see.
08-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Docrwm, I'll check that tip out.

08-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Thanks Docrwm, I'll check that tip out.
Good luck, please let us know if you find the thread and how it works out for you.
08-22-2012, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/182311-len-release-button-finally-fell-off.html
08-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks EIJ, quite a lot of stories there. Yikes. I may keep my tape solution in place.
08-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i contacted Pentax and asked if they could send me the part and the guy i dealt with flatly refused insisting my camera must be sent in and expect 20days TAT. So, i cant see doing that since i dont have another camera...so I continue to shoot everything with the 1.4x TC attached...

08-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, that's interesting Mike. Before the replacement button arrived, I was using a paper clip wire to unlock lenses. It's a be slower but it works just fine. You might give that a try Mike.

Given that:
1. I was able to get the button part for free from Pentax, and
2. Once the part arrived there didn't seem to be a simple DIY way to permanently install it. (I've read about superglueing it and it's not past me to try but ... I'm not willing to yet without some information from Pentax that, that is the fix).

It's clear to me that the camera will need to go to Pentax for the real repair. Now I have my trusty K20 as a back up so I'm ok with that, but before I do I will be researching this a bit more.

Oh, one thing I have learned is that if the button is not fully installed, it clearly will feel soft and wiggly.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 08-23-2012 at 07:52 AM.
08-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Poor old K-5.
People report trouble getting the SD card out, while the lens release button seems to have trouble staying in
08-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #26
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder if I should put tape over the button before it falls off?
08-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Poor old K-5.
People report trouble getting the SD card out, while the lens release button seems to have trouble staying in
Trouble getting the SD card out....yeah...well.....
08-23-2012, 10:13 PM   #28

lens button and WR

Do any of you guys think that the loss of the lens removal button will impact on the k5's WR?
08-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

If it's re-installed correctly, no.
08-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #30
Site Supporter

It happened to me a month or two ago. Luckily I found the button and have re-glued it. It takes some finesse to avoid gumming up the works, but so far, so good.