Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 - Lens removal button popped off, now what?

Well, last Saturday, I find that my nearly 1 & 1/2 year old K5 with just more than 10k clicks is missing it's lens removal button. It apparently popped off somewhere Saturday and although I can use a very small screwdriver to remove my lenses it's darn inconvenient. So, it's off to CHRIS I suppose for repair. But I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced that.

08-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Many people have experienced it. It might be the most common failure mode of the K-5. I had it happen on one of two bodies.

Some people have glued theirs back in, I personally am pretty proactive about doing your own repairs, but I think this is something better left to CRIS. Of course you don't even have that option.

Good luck.
08-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I did with a first gen K-r, apparently if the buttons falls of it isnt just a matter of gluing it back, sucks but hopefully you still have warranty?
08-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
1. I can't find the button, and 2. it's not under warranty.

Sorry about this post, I did a series of searches and finally found more posts on the subject.

MOD's it's ok to remove this post or close this tread.

08-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is anyone keeping track of serial numbers of the body that this is happening too? Might be something we can have Adam put together for us to start tracking.
08-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I can't swear to it but I seem to recall a recent post where CRIS or the service center sent the repair kit to the owner for installation thereby eliminating a 2 week turnaround time for them. If it were me I'd contact CRIS and ask about that solution because its a known problem. Good luck.
08-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I recently noticed that the lens release button on my 4-month old K-5 is getting "wobbly", like it's going to pop off. If I push on it at an angle, the top of it tilts to one side, and has a vague mushy feel. I seem to recall that when it was new, the button had a real solid feel, and would push straight down no matter what. Can one of you corroborate this behavior on your bodies?

Either way, I have to send it in anyway to fix the tilted electronic level, which wasn't improved with the latest firmware. Just curious if I should wait a few more months for the button to actually fall off, before sending it in. TIA.

08-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Hi BCB
That's darn bad luck.
I've not heard of any manufacturing problems with the K-7 which on the surface appears to be an identical body to the K5.
It's disappointing that they improved the K7's sensor in the K5 but appear to have dropped the ball in QC.
Oh well, not the end of the world and I hope they fix it quickly for you.
Cheers
Cal
08-06-2012, 08:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

yup, BCB, mine did too a couple months ago. I cant bear the thought of sending my camera away and being without it, so I've decided to adopt a "single in...(wait for it)...2012"

(because i cant remove my lens)

There is actually an entire thread for people who lost their lens release button.
08-06-2012, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

there is a little truth to the joke about using the same lens forever. I had my 1.4x TC mounted to my tele when the button was lost, so i could not remove the TC, so i just mounted all the lenses to that. One of my favorite pics to date came out of this problem, with the DA15 attached to the 1.4x TC...i guess it became a 15 x 1.4 = 21mm.

DA15 with stuck 1.4x TC
08-07-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, I can get my lens off, it's the DA*50-135, but without the button, it's a bit harder in the field. OTOH, IF I had a DA15 and got the kind of results you get from it Mike, I'd be less concerned about this problem. I have to send the K5 to CHRIS to get the mirror flop issue repaired anyway and, well, the K20 is available for use.
08-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It happened to me. I have two K5s - the lens change button on one is rock solid and the one that came off felt a little wobbly in use (maybe the first hint of a problem) ?

I used a pin to change lenses but had it fixed at no cost in 3 days (in Shanghai).
08-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update on this. I contacted Pentax USA on their online interactive support chat room. The person there referred me to a Pentax National Parts administrator. I contacted them via email and was promised the replacement part via mail next week. I'll update this on how it goes. So far, +1 for Pentax support!
08-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In one of the other threads I suggested someone who gets the part to replace themselves do a DIY tutorial that can help others in the future.
I know I for one would be very grateful if you would want to take a crack at it, blackcloudbrew
08-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Noted. I'll see what I can come up with. I have a self interest in this project...