Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manistee, MI
Posts: 295
Weather Sealed?

So the K5 coupled with a "WR" or DA* lens is fully "weather sealed" at least according to all online reference I can find. What I can't find is first hand information about the camera being used in "weather". I've seen the youtube video where a soldier covers his K5 and DA* lens in Afgan dust and sand, then then rinses it off in the shower, as well as people rinsing the camera under faucets but these seem more to me as novelty one-time demonstrations. I have some pictures I would like to take in heavy rainfall, and I'm wondering if the weather seals on the K5 are up to the task. The camera's going to be exposed to the rain and wind, and I plan on pushing buttons and twisting dials. I wouldn't expect trouble from one of Pentax's silly looking water-proof point and shoots, but the K5 is far more complex and has a lot more buttons.

Have any of you used the K5 (or K7) out in the rain, not just a sprinkle, but coming down cats and dogs style? Not just a story about how it started raining walking home from a hike and the camera half-hid under a shirt or something, but actually working the camera (and lens) in a heavy rain.

08-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian
calsan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,387
I used the K-7 in a heavy storm with a non weather sealed lens (55-300) to get photos of dolphins. No problems.
Also used it with 18-55wr whilst kayaking. No problems.
08-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member
joe.penn's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Maryland (Right Outside Washington DC)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,902
QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
pictures I would like to take in heavy rainfall, and I'm wondering if the weather seals on the K5 are up to the task
Yes - I use a K5 paired with a DA*300 in rainy conditions time and time again, my gear is also constantly being soaked in brackish water (murky freshwater with a saltwater mix) from the river while shooting from my kayak and it holds up with no problems at all.
08-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Photos: Albums
Posts: 570
I don't have the examples I was going to share on the hard drive I have with my but I can say that the K-5 with a DA* lens is definitely tightly sealed. I've used my two DA* lenses on the K-5 in moderate to heavy rain on only one occasion, but have used them when it's been sprinkling or snowing on several. I've also used that set up around fountains and sticky stuff like costume paint and food with no problem. I've been comfortable taking a wet cloth to the camera and lenses to wipe them clean, even put them under the faucet once to get a particularly sticky substance off them. I wouldn't ever recommend putting them under high pressure water though. When I put them under the faucet it was with a low flow of water. In addition to weather sealing, I get comfort from knowing that they are resistant to moisture. I'm currently in a coastal city that's pretty humid and would feel quite at ease going somewhere so humid with the K-5 and DA*s that everything but them would be soggy.

08-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
vagrant10's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: portland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,362
I've used the k7 w/ the da* 50-135 in heavy rain a couple times - one for a friends wedding and another at a Race for the Cure. So in both instances, they were exposed continuously for a couple hours of heavy rain (even by Oregon standards). I've also been out in freezing rain and snow for a couple hours at a time. No issues whatsoever. I've also been out w/ a k20 in bad weather... I have a lot of faith in Pentax's weather sealing.

Oh yeah... went on a whale watching tour on a zodiac with the k5 and da* 50-135 and it got a bit splashy on board. Rinsed the salt water off in the sink when we hit land and all is well.

Here's the set (nothing special here... just a happy salty dog and sadly no whales):
whale watching
08-07-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian
dosdan's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,699
Have you seen these underwater shots?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/115277-k-5-sports-photography-25.html#post1961670
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/115277-k-5-sports-photography-25.html#post1961942

Quotes:
"Yes, it's for real. I wish I could have gotten someone to take a pic of me while taking this pics. I'll do it next time. The camera was just half to full submerged a few seconds, and each time after taking the pics I would dry it just in case. I didn't zoom in or out while underwater. I was on the edge (outside) of the pool and just dipped the camera for the pics. I do find it very hard to get the colors right while editing, so sorry about the editing!. Next time I'll shoot raw and maybe that can help a bit."

"Yes the camera (and lens) still works. Didn't have a plastic bag with me that day. I've done it before and if you are quick and dry it after taking the pics then nothing happens."
Dan.
08-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
No problem at all for the K5 with DA*300. I took it out to test it in a storm. You can't really see from the shots below but it was absolutely pelting it down at times and the camera/lens were never 'protected' always right out there in the elements.





08-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Frogfish's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 4,490
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Have you seen these underwater shots?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/115277-k-5-sports-photography-25.html#post1961670
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/115277-k-5-sports-photography-25.html#post1961942

Quotes:
"Yes, it's for real. I wish I could have gotten someone to take a pic of me while taking this pics. I'll do it next time. The camera was just half to full submerged a few seconds, and each time after taking the pics I would dry it just in case. I didn't zoom in or out while underwater. I was on the edge (outside) of the pool and just dipped the camera for the pics. I do find it very hard to get the colors right while editing, so sorry about the editing!. Next time I'll shoot raw and maybe that can help a bit."

"Yes the camera (and lens) still works. Didn't have a plastic bag with me that day. I've done it before and if you are quick and dry it after taking the pics then nothing happens."
Dan.
That's CRAZY !! I love my K5s too much to risk them in that way ! Just buy one of those protective camera bags - they would work just fine for that purpose. Weather proof under normal air pressure is one thing but under water the pressure is double air pressure by the time you reach 10 feet, and although this was submerged in just a few inches the weather seals are not designed for that sort of pressure.

08-08-2012, 01:17 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian
Heie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by justDIY Quote
I've seen the youtube video where a soldier covers his K5 and DA* lens in Afgan dust and sand, then then rinses it off in the shower, as well as people rinsing the camera under faucets but these seem more to me as novelty one-time demonstrations.
I am that soldier. I can assure you that it isn't a "novelty one-time demonstration." That was actually the second iteration I did that day (I screwed up the first shoot), and now, 1 month later, I have never had a single issue with either camera. No sand inside any of the dials, buttons, etc. The flash got "stuck" on the K-7 in the video because sand had gotten under it (it is weather sealed also, but not the space between it and the camera), so once I raised it up manually, it was good to go, and today it feels as if I just bought it - springy as ever. Come winter time I plan to do a sequal to that weather sealing video - I'll save the details to keep it a surprise

Also, you have to remember, that natural rain hardly ever has the same intensity and pressure as a full blown shower head - I have lived through plenty of hurricanes and I can promise you that whatever rain you are thinking of will at best match the water's intensity that you saw in that video I made. And that would be unbelievably rare when it does happen.

In my opinion, by calling what happened in that video a gimmick and a novelty is being very shortsighted and unappreciative of just how traumatic and demanding that test was, as well as how much more severe that would be compared to actual, real-life situations.

For those that haven't seen the video the OP and I are referencing, here it is:


-Heie
08-08-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
NKK
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 583
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
I am that soldier. I can assure you that it isn't a "novelty one-time demonstration." That was actually the second iteration I did that day (I screwed up the first shoot), and now, 1 month later, I have never had a single issue with either camera. No sand inside any of the dials, buttons, etc. The flash got "stuck" on the K-7 in the video because sand had gotten under it (it is weather sealed also, but not the space between it and the camera), so once I raised it up manually, it was good to go, and today it feels as if I just bought it - springy as ever. Come winter time I plan to do a sequal to that weather sealing video - I'll save the details to keep it a surprise

Also, you have to remember, that natural rain hardly ever has the same intensity and pressure as a full blown shower head - I have lived through plenty of hurricanes and I can promise you that whatever rain you are thinking of will at best match the water's intensity that you saw in that video I made. And that would be unbelievably rare when it does happen.

In my opinion, by calling what happened in that video a gimmick and a novelty is being very shortsighted and unappreciative of just how traumatic and demanding that test was, as well as how much more severe that would be compared to actual, real-life situations.

For those that haven't seen the video the OP and I are referencing, here it is:

PENTAX DUST AND WEATHER SEALING IN AFGHANISTAN - YouTube

-Heie
Liked your first video - and im looking forward to the next
Thanks again for showing that the Pentax equipment can hold op in harsh conditions.
08-08-2012, 03:55 AM   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
Posts: 82
I've used my K-5 with the DA* 50-135 in heavy rain and it survived just fine. My Metz flash stopped working after a while but came back after drying it.


After it stopped raining, and the camera was dry, I did notice that every time I pushed one of the 5 buttons on the right side, next to the LCD screen, water came out from the buttons. I expect that it was simply stored there without actually getting into the electronics. Camera is still working just fine.
On a more practical note, the viewfinder did become harder and harder to see through as rain didn't seem to move away from the glass area too well and created vapour on the glass. Also I had protection filter on the lens and somehow water vapour came into the compartment between the original lens glass and the protection filter, but removing the protection filter solved that issue.
08-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,816
I'll add my short testimonial here as well. I've been out with my K20 and K5 and DA* lenses in heavy rain with no problems - ever. In March I was on an all day shoot on Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay, it rained the whole time. I was the only Pentax shooter at this photo meet up. Everyone else (Canon, Nikon etc.) had their plastic bags wrapped around their camera. I carried mine, as usual outside my pack all day with never a problem. Ok so I had to wipe the viewfinder a few times...it's real.
08-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 52
I've had my K-5 out in rain. Fairly heavy stuff. Concur that it doesn't compare with what a shower head puts out.

Had it out with me in the kayak last week. Only way to get good pics of northern Minnesota loons (the birds, not me) without one of those 50-500 lenses. I used the 18-135 from about 25 feet. Camera and lens were well-splashed and affected not a whit.
08-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,271
I'll pipe in as well, i've shot for most of a day in a steady downpour with a non wr lens (24-70 sigma), I wrapped the sigma in shrink wrap and sealed the lens/body with gaffer tape. i was soaked though camera and lens worked fine all day. If I had a 16-50 I wouldn't have even worried, i just didn't want the sigma to fail since i had no back up
08-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 19
I shot at our Texas State Fair last October in a thunder storm and the K7 with the DA* 50 - 135 performed flawlessly. I was completely soaked but the camera had no issues at all. I was more worried about lightning than damage to my K7.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, da*, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, lens, pentax k-5, rain, weather
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weather Sealed Andrew2208 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 29 06-06-2012 12:33 PM
Is the D800 weather sealed? ElJamoquio Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 05-24-2012 09:46 PM
Weather Sealed Nikon lenses? TOUGEFC Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 2 02-08-2012 03:31 AM
Looking for weather sealed Portrait Lenses Student Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 32 02-19-2011 05:24 AM
complete brain fart - is my DA 16-45 weather sealed? vievetrick Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 01-15-2011 11:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top