Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Afterthought: about two months ago, Fujiya had a stock of plain-boxed K-5s (maybe 10 or so) selling them for JPY 66,000; this is the closest to a clearance sale that I can think of. I really wanted to get one of those but at the time I couldn't spare the еее.

08-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wish I could sneak into the Cebu plant south of my big island to check if K-5's are still running in the mills )

But yeah, they're probably in the pre-production phase of the K-5 replacement right now. As far as news goes from Cebu, they only tell us that K-30's are well into the production phase, probably the second batch by now.
08-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Grigoris, I think that it was off the shelves before the release of the K-30, around June if memory serves me correctly.

However, Fujiya had some stock of the K-5 black and Silver up until recently.
Last I saw a few weeks ago, there was one Silver K-5 left.Fujiya sold a lot of "outlet" cameras at a a reasonable price.

I paid 76,000 yen for mine in Yodobashi, but looking at Amazon Japan, the price for a K-5 has gone up to 87,515 yen.

Interestingly, there are a lot ofSilver K-5's with the 40mm XS lens on Amazon at a reasonable 93,800 yen.
You could probably get about 10,000 yen back if you sold the XS lens, making the silver K-5 a good deal.
Here's the thing: Even though I pass from Fujiya once a week (I go to Nakano every Wednesday anyway and the place I go is a 5-7 min walk from, ahem, "Fujiya Alley"), I hadn't been there for at least three weeks so anything that happened, happened within this time frame. Also, I have a distinct memory of the K-5 rubbing shoulders with the, then, just-introduced K-30; I'm certain of it because I remember having a WTF moment along the lines of "So, I can buy a, yet untested, K-30 for almost JPY 100,000 with a lens I don't really need right now or a well established K-5 for under JPY 80,000; hmmm, yeah, that's a tough one!". Still, I'm not sure *when* that was -like I said, I normally go there once a week so I can be very well mistaken.

[Sort of off-topic]: I agree with you about Fujiya; I think it's a great place and I always try to have small budget for something that can pop-up over there (that's how I got a very nice Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200 for ~JPY 25,000 last year). As for the silver K-5, he still had one yesterday but it was rated AB+ which is good but not as good as a brand new one :-D The ones in Amazon I saw but I didn't want to get that close to JPY 100,000. Oh, and I really don't like silver cameras so I'd leave that as a last option!

Grigoris
08-09-2012, 04:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You picked up a Tokina 80-200?
Lucky you.
That's the second one I've heard about being sold there, first one was 22,000 yen.
Good timing to pick that up cus they don't stay on the shelves for long.

08-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #20

Original Poster
Yes, it was good timing; from what the guy told me it was brought in just the previous day. Great glass and at a very reasonable price. Now if only I could use it as it should be used...

Grigoris
08-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #21

Original Poster
I believe it's an open-and-shut- case by now but I thought I'd amend my previous post about no-one at Fujiya's saying anything about discontinuing K-5. Apparently they *did* say something on Twitter (serves me right for not following them -I do now!) as early as July 4th -see https://twitter.com/fujiyacamera_nu/statuses/220435327163170816 (For non-Japanese speakers, it goes along the lines of "K-5 has stopped being manufactured, we have a limited supply of items left, get yours while you can!") Also, in Pentax's official Japanese e-shop (http://shop.pentax.jp/c/c101510/) the K-5 kits appear “sold out” and the body-only option although labeled "残りわずか" (i.e. “leftovers only") has the “add to cart” option grayed out.

Last edited by Grigoris; 08-15-2012 at 08:17 PM.