Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
From what I've read, it seems the '30 is a move sideways with a slight elevation, but was still called the best Pentax ever. Not enough...for me.

08-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only improvements I'd like are better reliability and better optical viewfinder for manual focus.
08-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
I would point out no 'real' camera has an articulated screen and suspect its probably seen as a consumer function so would not be implemented in a 'pro' class camera.
I remember when people said the same thing about auto-focus and in-camera light metering. There are two National Geographic photographers who use still use Olympus E-5's (tilting screen) and probably many more professionals that I don't know of.
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Life is supposed to be easier, not harder.

08-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Pentax has already released a camera that's not significantly better than the K5 --- the K30.
Except that the K-5 is high end model and the K-30 is the consumer entry model... so the K-30 being better than the K-5 is probably very significant. It all depends on your perspective. For me, it doesn't matter, unless the new high end model is full frame, I'm probably doing what I do, skip a model and get the next one after that. I'm considering trading in the K-x on a K-30. As much for the water proofing and 2 dials as anything else.
08-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Except that the K-5 is high end model and the K-30 is the consumer entry model... so the K-30 being better than the K-5 is probably very significant.
Exactly. If you want to compare then compare the k-30 to the k-r. Is the k-30 better than the k-r? I would think that is an easy case to make. So if the entry level improved that much can we assume the k-5 replacement will improve by a like degree? Hopefully, and if so that will be an awesome camera, provided the price point is not out of reach. But like Norm I am very happy with k-5, not sure upgrading to replacement is worth it to me. If a full frame is released I will consider it, but still not sure. I'm not convinced I will see any advantage with full frame for what I shoot.
08-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Except that the K-5 is high end model and the K-30 is the consumer entry model... so the K-30 being better than the K-5 is probably very significant. It all depends on your perspective. For me, it doesn't matter, unless the new high end model is full frame, I'm probably doing what I do, skip a model and get the next one after that. I'm considering trading in the K-x on a K-30. As much for the water proofing and 2 dials as anything else.
That's not my point.
The K30 defines the current midrange. Why do you people expect Pentax to release high-end cameras that are not better than the midrange? Makes no sense .
08-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I skipped the K7. If the new is FF then I am in and will likely pre-order. If it is not, I will probably wait for the initial ordering to stop and see if they announce a FF in the spring. If they don't announce a FF in the spring then I will probably sell the k20 and either buy the K5 replacement or another K5 at a steal. I keep thinking that I want it to be "so much better" but I am able to create the images I want with the K5.

08-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
From what I've read, it seems the '30 is a move sideways with a slight elevation, but was still called the best Pentax ever. Not enough...for me.
Yes, at half the (introduced) price of the K5. Completely different target market.
08-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I'm hoping the high-end model, unless it is a full-frame (which I do not expect) will debut for less than the K-5. $1600 was too much, and that was a Hoya price after all. $1200 would be more like it. We'll see...
08-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #26
Pentaxian

is the glass half full, or half empty

Occasionally i've been spending some time over on the dpreview forums regarding the Nex and also the RX100. The RX100 folks are still in the euphoria and camera-lust stage. The Nex 7 owners are a more divided lot between those that love the camera and those that are angry at some issue of the camera that is not being dealt with. The Nex 5 owners seem happier overall than the the Nex 7 folks, but some gripe about their lenses and what's going to be produced, etc.

In short, if the managers changed the camera model names and the one over the front door from Sony to say Pentax, say as part of an April fool's joke; and the reverse here, it would be hard to determine what camp a visitor was in

It all comes down to there are no perfect cameras or camera systems. Accept it and/or change it out if one doesn't like it. Its like the cliche: everyone complains about the weather, but no one does anything about it
08-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I'm hoping the high-end model, unless it is a full-frame (which I do not expect) will debut for less than the K-5. $1600 was too much, and that was a Hoya price after all. $1200 would be more like it. We'll see...
Around three months after introduction, the K5 was around 1300, wasn't it? And then, there's cashback.