Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5 mkII

Hi all,

I was thinking if, If, IF the alleged K3 is in fact a FF body and not really an upgrade for the K5. It would be an upgrade but to a different class IMHO. It doesn't sound like the majority of K5 owners would move to it. The K30 has some improvements, but it's not an upgrade to the K5, again the majority are keeping the K5 for many good reasons.

So, I wonder if there's a possibility that we could convince Pentax to offer a mkII upgrade to owners of the K5 for a reasonable cost.

The list need not be long,

-upgrade the AF sensor package to the SAFOX IXi+, if it will work with the prime II processor, and fit in the K5.

-maybe add a few more color options for the menu.

-Clean and calibrate the body, to include the level if off.

-maybe replace the top cover to read K5 mkII or K5x or whatever. Just to avoid confusion in the resale market.

-If possible maybe reduce the size of the center AF point. Though I imagine that would be too much work.

-offer a warranty the cover the new parts.

-??

I don't imagin a processor upgrade would be possible without a major amount of work, and I suspect that focus peeking is dependent on the Prime-M. But over-all it seems like it might be a good way for Pentax to generate some additional income, keep the K5 owners happy until a real upgrade comes down the pipe.

Just a thought that came to mind when working in the yard, and figured I'd throw it out there No camera company has done this to my knowledge, as an upgrade to currently in use bodies. But then Pentax has a history of doing things different. Like the AF 1.7x adapter, the 400-600 Reflex zoom and now what appears to be a 568mm collapsible telephoto It's in part this kind of thinking that hooked me on Pentax.

Last edited by Riv; 08-12-2012 at 03:51 PM.
08-12-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

not again....

Besides upgrading will cost a lot more then buying a new camera, just look how much it cost to get the motherboard replace....
08-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by boriscleto Maybe pigs will fly...
Upside down and backwards while singing.
I think this quote covers it.
08-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #4

yes and this will all be done via the new firmwire

08-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
Riv

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
not again....

Sorry, I didn't know this had been through the ringer already. I'd delete it if I could...
08-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
Sorry, I didn't know this had been through the ringer already. I'd delete it if I could...
No worries, it was a good summary of what would be important improvements and from a user perspective a great idea. It's just never going to happen. The cost of taking back k-5 bodies and refurbishing them with new hardware is just not cost effective. And would detract from sales of the next new camera. Sad, but that is the economics of the world we live in. I would not be surprised to see a final firmware update for k-5 with a few tweaks but no way are they going to swap out hardware parts.

And yes, speculation on next camera or direction of next camera is maybe 1/2 of the posts on this forum (OK that's an exaggeration but it's a lot). And if I was not so cranky this morning I might have posted something more meaningful than "when pigs fly".
08-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Riv

Original Poster
Not worried about the Pigs fly comment , but thanks for the reply.

But I should have been more clear in the post that this would cost burdened by the user choosing to do it.

That said, I'm not a camera designer/engineer. The one thing another post mentioned was the cost of the motherboard. I don't know how much that cost, just like I don't know how much of the AF system that was improved on the K30 is actually on the motherboard.

It was just a half baked thought I had, that on the surface it seemed like a good to way to offer a cure for the biggest complaint of the K5 for those that wanted it, If an APS-C upgrade to the K5 isn't announced this year.

Now lets see if this pig(post) can at least play dead seeing that it can't fly
08-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah but the cost will be going towards and probably over $600, no one will spend that amount of money on a technological old camera.

It's not a matter of a simple replacement, new firmware has to been written, the sensor needs to be calibrated to the camera and then the amount of man hour needed to expertly assemble and disassemble the camera.
Pentax is almost basically developing and making a new camera for you that way.

08-12-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Riv

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Yeah but the cost will be going towards and probably over $600, no one will spend that amount of money on a technological old camera.
Yup, that would put it beyond a reasonable cost. What's somewhat unclear, is the Prime-M the major player thats giving better AF (in liveview I'm sure it is), or if it's that glass lens they added to the AF unit in the throat of the body.
08-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

What they 'should' do is make a future camera with adaptability in mind- an excellent body ala K5 but a replaceable sensor/motherboard that can be done by a repair agent or technically minded user.
Would be a first but unlikely as majority would just buy a new camera so why add the development cost to the camera.
08-12-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
What they 'should' do is make a future camera with adaptability in mind- an excellent body ala K5 but a replaceable sensor/motherboard that can be done by a repair agent or technically minded user.
Would be a first but unlikely as majority would just buy a new camera so why add the development cost to the camera.
Hmmm I wonder if pentax-RICOH has an idea like that.
08-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Bit like with medium format, the only problem is that the AF needs to be more accurate on APS-C so i doubt its worth it.
Also the mirror mechanics is only rated fr 200,000 actions, dont know how it is with you but i'll reach that limit in 4 to 6 years and i buy a new camera almost every 4 years.
08-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah I don't see it either, that durable a body only heavy users will appreciate and it all adds $$$.
I super unique purist FF with changeable finders and built like a tank with upgradeable electronics could be the go (a super niche product), but I don't see it with APSC.
08-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #14

K-5 mark II...hmmmm...i heard that from somewhere lately....
09-06-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some of you guys in this thread knows more than you are allowed to tell....