Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Any more undocumented features of the K-5?

Was playing around with braketing today. I discovered that auto-braketing behavior is unique to each shooting mode. Further, when in A-priority mode, if ISO is auto, auto-bracketing will maintain the apeture AND shutter speed selected, and will vay ISO sensitivity to achieve the varied exposures whereas if the ISO manually set to a specific value, autobraketing will vary the shutter speed and keep the F-stop and ISO setting fixed. Very neat.

Here's a photo using a new ND filter from a series shot using braketing (the K-5 tended to underexpose with the ND400 filter.

08-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beautiful capture..nicely done!
08-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also agree - a very nice shot. In terms of bracketing. I ran across this with my old K20 a few years ago. I explained it to myself this way. For each shooting mode the camera body supports, there is a single unbounded variable (shutter speed, ISO, aperture) that can be adjusted by the camera. So when in bracketing, that is going to the be variable that the body will adjust with respect to moving the ev across the desired range.

I have not found it documented in this way in the manual.

08-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have noticed that bracketing in P mode (can't remember whether ISO auto or ISO selected value active) resulted in a mix of apeture changes and shutter changes to produce the various exposures. This was also observed in TAv mode. Apparently bracketing in some modes results in not one but 2 exposure variables being altered dynamically to procude the requisite exposures.

03-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

So say I was using flash set at 1/32 to control the light and a manual lens (ie "F0-0 or whatever that readout is") and 1/180, how could I make it that with one remote click, I get a bunch of images at different ISOs ranging from 80-800?