Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 04:05 AM   #1

Kx user here - should i go to K-5 or K-30 or wait for K-3

Hi,

I am using a K-x. Seeing that the price of K-5 has dropped so much in recent days, I am venturing to ask if i should just go for K-5 right now (before it is discontinued and no longer for sale) or to go K-30 now or to wait for K-3.

I know K-3 will have a lot of new improvements but the fear is that it will be priced beyond my budget since it is still a new camera body.

The K-30 is almost priced the same as the K-5 right now....

What do you guys think?

08-13-2012, 04:33 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ladybug Quote
Hi,

I am using a K-x. Seeing that the price of K-5 has dropped so much in recent days, I am venturing to ask if i should just go for K-5 right now (before it is discontinued and no longer for sale) or to go K-30 now or to wait for K-3.

I know K-3 will have a lot of new improvements but the fear is that it will be priced beyond my budget since it is still a new camera body.

What do you guys think?
Ask yourself:
What aspects of your k-x have been limiting your photography?
If the answer is not much then stick with the k-x until the k-3 has come off in price (maybe a year after release) or if the k-3 is a disapointment you might still just go for a k5/30 if it suits your needs (reads: wants) better.
The k-x is a great little camera, with excellent image quality. It does lack features of the k-5/30 but it still takes decent shots.

I have a K-7 which has Poor high ISO performance, but currently I see no need to have the latest and greatest. It just makes me think more about my shots/technique if light is difficult. The k-x on the other hand has decent performance in this area, but lacks in others. Just make sure that your not compensating for poor technique with splashing money that could be better spent on lenses.
08-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-x is quite capable and a good camera. As long as it performs competently for you, there's no need to get a K-5, or anything else, for a long long time. You are NOT missing out on anything.

Cheers...
08-13-2012, 05:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
The K-x's IQ is fine but i would like a body that can:

1. show the AF red dot in the viewfinder.
2. Allow me to select the exact AF point just by looking in the viewfinder. At the moment I have to select the point using the screen.
3. Allow me to use a remote shutter cable.

Comments?

08-13-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

2. Allow me to select the exact AF point just by looking in the viewfinder. At the moment I have to select the point using the screen.

Comments?
Both the K-5 and K-30 do 1 and 3. IMHO, the K-5 does AF point selection a little better than
the K-30, as it has the center-select-auto lever, while the K-30 has that option in the info screen / menu. They both
feature point selection using the 4-way pad.

If you weigh handling and operational speed, the K-5 may have the edge, as it has a few more buttons and the top LCD.

Regards,
--Anders.
08-13-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter

The first two have not work around that I am aware of but the remote shutter can be triggered by wireless/infrared.
I wouldn't quite go as far as saying your not missing out on anything because their are a lot of clear benefits of upgrading. You just have to make the choice as to weather they will help you I will one day find either an excuse or reason (eg dead camera) to get a new camera. The k-5/30 will be for sale for a long time to come in the second hand market (which if you wAnt to save money can be a treasure trove.
08-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I upgraded from K-r to K-30 and am very happy. The K-30 can do everything you outlined. For the focus points, you simply hold down the center button on the four way controller and then you can use the four way controller to select the focus point you want to use. I have no problem doing all this while looking through the viewfinder.

The IQ is better and the autofocus is quite a bit better. High ISO performance is also improved over the K-x/K-r. Of course, you have front and rear e-dials available on the K-30 and K-5 as well, which is very nice.

I was in a similar situation as you and decided there was no way I could afford the K-3 (or whatever) anyway and I knew I wanted to upgrade sooner than later, so I went for it. I have no regrets at all so far.

Good luck with your decision!
08-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Why not choose the k-01

08-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Comments?
I have a Kr - I decided to go Kr instead of Kx because of those little red dots, but I find myself now using centre point 85% of the time (beep / recompose) - That technique has done more to ensure my desired subject is in focus than having a red marker in the VF. The other 15% of the time I select an AF point other than centre - particularly if I am using thin DOF and can not afford to recompose. All those extra points do not come into play if you are using old glass either.

The limits of the Kr that are surpassed by the more advanced models - more selection in the bracketing - 5 frame bracket, and +-5 EV instead of 3. Bracketing with remote. Mirror lock up. A quieter shutter actuation (the reason why I am not considering K30). The shutter cable release, and/or rear IR port would be helpful too.

I'm in the wait and see camp... My Kr is still clicking happily along after some 16,000 actuations.
08-13-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Comments?
Personally, I found...

#1 the 'red dot'/beep signal misleading and distracting, so I turned it off from day 1 on both my K-7 and K-5;
#2 If you crop to fine tune your compositions, like me, you will find this feature unnecessary. Again, for me, I can get it pretty close, but attempts to nail a composition in the viewfinder is just too tedious.
#3 if this feature is worth, say $800 or more to you, go for it. For the number of times I actually really really gotta have it... meh.

Cheers...
08-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Comments?
1.I never worry about it, always use spot in the middle and recompose, but K-30 will do all that fine
2.I never worry about it, always use spot in the middle and recompose, but K-30 will do all that fine
3.I never worry about it, always use IR F remote, works with K-x,K-7,Q,K-r,K5 and K-30, but if you want cable K-30 will do all that fine

kind regards
jack
08-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I would wait until Photokina and see if they announce anything new, there should still be some K5s to be had by then if that's the way you decide you want to go.
08-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Hi,

What do you guys think?
I upgraded from K-x to K-5. As good as the K-x is the K-5 is certainly ahead in many ways….(WR, VF Red Dot, Dynamic Range, Battery Grip Option, IQ, Top LCD, Quiet Shutter, and so on.). DxOMark rated the K-5 as one of the best APS-C they have ever tested. In addition to these advantages what eventually made my mind to finally upgrade is: 1) Price is well within reach of my budget. 2) It’s at the end of its life cycle. Product has been tried and tested on the field. Majority of bugs and other issues have been resolved. Add a $20 two-year Pentax extended warranty and you’re “safe” for at least three years. Who knows what Pentax would be offering in 2015? K-5 is a little bigger and heavier, though. I’m sure K-30 is an excellent body as well but I think price is still on the high side. I’d wait a few months for pricing to stabilize. I’m not jinxing the K-30 but IMO it’s still early in the product’s life to tell what kind (if any) issues it may have down the road. Hopefully none or at least nothing like sensor stains or mirror-flop that plagued early generations of K-5.

As for holding off for what comes next? I’m not a pro by any means. For the kind of photography I do I’m quite satisfied with the performance of the K-5 and not really interested on a FF body (if ever) at this point. I still use my K-x from time to time as the IQ of that little camera still exceeds expectations. Newest models of anything (Cameras, Electronics, Automobiles, etc.) will always have something better than previous models. If I keep holding off for the “all new and improved latest and greatest” I will never buy anything.

Cheers!
08-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
If I keep holding off for the “all new and improved latest and greatest” I will never buy anything.
This is true, except I don't feel it is wise to buy a camera at the beginning of the life cycle. K-5 had a number of common issues (stains, lens release buttons falling off and mirror flop issue) in early production runs, plus it came with a significant price tag. If you buy a K-5 now on the other hand you could get it for 700-900 dollars (half the original price) with significantly less chance of the above mentions defects. Come 3-4 years down the track you want to sell it the residual value will still be approximately $300-400 so instead of having the camera depreciate $700 it will only depreciate $350 - 500. You then have a couple hundred in savings to put into lenses or other equipment.

Of course this approach won't suit everyone, as particular features allow you to get shots you might otherwise not have been able to. Ergonomics might be of value to the purchaser, or one of the many other changes. But from the budget conscious it makes more sense.

I will admit I have found it very hard not to upgrade at times when I feel the K-7 is holding me back, but I stepped back and looked at the situation as a whole and identified/ weighted the pro's and con's of forking out the cash.
08-17-2012, 03:50 AM   #15

Just get the K-5. It is still rated as one of the best DSLRs on DxoMark. I recently got to replace a very old K100d. Never been more satisfied.