Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

We'll have a replacement very soon. Besides, it's not like the camera or the lenses stop working just because the K5 has been discontinued. At this point the K5 is still in the top 10 digital cameras of all time as far as IQ goes according to DxO Mark's website. It keeps such illustrious company as the D800 twins, 2 Phase One backs, 3 flagship Nikons, and the 645D, the only APS-C camera to do so. It even beats out the new D3200 and the 5D3 (ok, by a hair, but still not bad for an old timer)

08-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
They discontinued it because it's 2 1/2 years old and it's time for a replacement. They didn't discontinue it leaving the K-30 and K-01 as the only cameras bro.
We all hope you are right.

I am giving them a chance to see what they do.

I have my brand new K-5 (opened the box June 1) so I will use it until I wear it out. If Pentax offers new and good stuff in between then and now, I could see myself buying another body....asumming I can use my lenses I have already.

Corporations have done stupid things before so its a 'wait and see' situation from my perspective.
08-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mxlinn Quote
Time to keep or sell Pentax gear?
K5 discontinued in US..

Time to top up my piggy bank.....
Given the quality of my K5, i can wait another year or two..... but i just want to get my hand on a K5 replacement when there is one.....
08-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm...just because Pentax announced the k-5 is discontinued 1 month before photokina and hasn't announced a successor, that prompt people to jump ship to another system.....

What little faith in Pentax....why join Pentax in the first place then.....lack of research?

08-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Discontinuing the K-5 does not make yours (or mine) less excellent. There are no doubt enough lying around to sell for months to come anyway.

And it means something better is just around the corner, which is pretty exciting.

I think it's a pretty good time to be a Pentaxian; give it a month and see how you feel then.
08-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #21
Pentaxian

It will probably be years before I'm ready to upgrade from my K5. Even if Pentax releases a new body at Phtokina.. unless it's full frame, I won't even be interested. I always skip a body.and 16 Mp seems to suit me just fine. I would go for a 24 Mp FF if it gave me improved AF and low light performance. But I'm expecting a 24 Mp APS-c.. and I just won't be interested. At least not right away. Maybe when the price bottoms out towards the end of it's production run.

OUr K-x is a fine camera, our K20D is a fine camera, our k-5 is a fine camera. I'm still shooting for the most part with the K20D. There are small differences, and the K-5 is definitely a keeper. I expect to be still using this camera ( the K-5) years into the future, long after the K-x and K20D are gone. There's just something about it that say it's going on my shelf with the Ricohflex VI , the Program Plus and the ME when I stop shooting with it. It will always be there, probably with my 21 Ltd on the front of it.
08-14-2012, 05:53 AM   #22
Site Supporter

I don't see the logic in this line of thought.

1. So what has Canon and Nikon released and announced to make it 'safe'?
A 650D that uses the same 18mp sensor that has been around for donkey years and proliferated over their low to high end APS-C cameras?
No high end APS-C from Nikon for after 2+yrs since D7K and total silence on this subject matter?
Does it mean that Canikon is no longer serious about APS-C and its shakey for their APS-C users?
Pentax release a Q, K01, K30 over the span of the year.

2. K5 is 2+years old and due for a replacement.

3. Kr was discontinued early in the year too. Now its been replaced with the K01 and K30.

4. A good K5/Kr is a good camera circa 2012. Same thing for lenses.
Sensor tech has not improved much over the past 2yrs to make the K5 and Kr obsolete. (they still work pretty fine at ISO3200 and 6400 at a push)
In fact K5 DR is still unbeaten for APS-C
08-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not unusual to end production before the new model comes out. there ar stuill K5 cameras in the supply chain, they just no longer make them. the production is likely devoted to the new model so it is available shortly after the announcement
this is not a new practice and not unique to Pentax (i spent 25 years in the ce industry it happens all the time)
As pointed out there is nothing wrong with your current gear, Pentax will be around for quite some time yet is my Bet (Ricoh hasn't really even had them long enough for them to have had much influence on the design and upcoming products. If it worries you like you see here there are lots of people willing to take advantage and pick up your kit cheaper. If you bought the kit to take pictures then don't worry about it, i'm pretty sure it will work just fine for that. cameras aren't an investment, the prices decline as they age. lenses less so.

08-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Every camera I own has been discontinued (except the Leica M9 - and just wait a month or so...). I don't care - I already have them, and they work great. All of my cars have been discontinued - but I'll still drive them for another 10 years or so. I just don't understand the concern here...
08-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Why would you want to worry if the K-5 is discontinued? It's about time!!!
Certainly I have found the new K-30 performing even better than the K-5 in terms of AF accuracy and at a lower price point, so what's the concern? With a pending Pentax FF announcement around the corner, I'm thinking about dumping my lineup of DA lenses in anticipation of new FF lens offerings. I've already sold off my long in the tooth K-5 and relying on the underrated but competent K-01 to fill the gap until FF becomes reality.
08-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mxlinn Quote
I came from Canon about 2.5 years ago and really impressed with Pentax color/contrast and ergonomics - especially the K-5. Now with Ricoh discontinuing the K-5 leaving Pentax DSLR future hanging in the balance, is it time to leave the system all together? I've accumulated a few decent PK-mount lenses (see my signature) and hate to part with them, but concerned if Pentax gear will be devalued soon with its uncertain outlook. Any opinion on this? Thanks.
You bought it to take pictures, right? It works well and you like it, right? Use it until it no longer does what you need it to. A camera and lens is a tool to do a job, not an investment. I have stayed with Pentax through the years because their gear is durable and I can beat the crap out of it and it still works.
08-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm not too worried about the future of Pentax DSLRs. I doubt Ricoh splashed out all that dough to buy Pentax just to kill it off in the first year.
08-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Why would you want to worry if the K-5 is discontinued? It's about time!!!
Certainly I have found the new K-30 performing even better than the K-5 in terms of AF accuracy and at a lower price point, so what's the concern? With a pending Pentax FF announcement around the corner, I'm thinking about dumping my lineup of DA lenses in anticipation of new FF lens offerings. I've already sold off my long in the tooth K-5 and relying on the underrated but competent K-01 to fill the gap until FF becomes reality.
Come to think of it, I'd be more worried if the K5 was still THE camera after 2+yrs
08-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I don't understand all the fuzz. Months after production of the K-r was discontinued, it was still available in shops everywhere. And then it was replaced by the K-30. So why are we so "afraid" all of a sudden about Pentax having only 1 body in production? It's still for sale, and there is time for them to present a successor.
08-14-2012, 08:04 AM   #30
Pentaxian

when I read the K5 was getting DC'd i got a chill of excitement - that clearly means the latest model is coming! At the moment I see no reason to not keep my K5, as it is everything I need for years to come, but ya never know. I've never been an early adopter of anything anyhow, so i'd probably wait to upgrade. nevertheless, it is exciting to know a K5 replacement is about to launch!