Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #1

**newbie**

Hi to all you Pentax fans,

I am new to this forum and will be new to dslr's hopefully sooner then later! please go easy on me and hope i am posting in the correct forum

i am looking at buying my first dslr; i will be a total new beginner and i am keen to finally get into photography, with night sky photography being my biggest interest.

After many hours researching the net only knowing two makes 'Canon' and 'Nikon' with the D7000 and 5d markii catching my eye, i discovered Pentax and the K-5 in particular. It seems to come up trumps against these other stated models in google and the price range suits me far more!

The cheapest i have found the K-5 is sale-point-online.com and it comes with a lense.

I have just re-checked this site for the first time in two weeks.. the price was 589 :0 but now i see it has gone up to 655

i was going to ask has anyone bought from this site or is it safe? but now the price has gone up i might look for anothe seller.

if any one has any advice on which dslr or know of a website where i can find K-5 cheaper i would be grateful.

I look forward to your replies,

regards

Last edited by Parallax; 08-15-2012 at 06:42 AM.
08-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd pass on them - reviews on the web aren't good, they are in Asia, not an authorized dealer and you will be dinged for VAT and duties when it get's to the UK, and then have no warranty.
If you are going to Import it rather than buy from Jessops or another local authorized dealer by from a reputable dealer like Adorama or BH Photo and then at least have the 1 year international warranty (not sure how Pentax UK administers it though, Pentax Canada will charge an admin fee for repairs done under the international warranty)

best value for importing with a proper international warranty would be the one mentioned in this thread for the K30 and 18-135WR (which should be as good or better than the K5 for your purposes)

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/193133-k-30-676usd-da18-135wr-334usd.html

BTW this is from an AV forums thread on the site you asked about

QuoteQuote:
Exclamation Be very cautious
My experience of sale-point.com is that they are not a genuine retailer and the whole thing is a con. I ordered a mobile phone from them paying by PayPal and it never arrived. They were very good at keeping me informed of progress of my order until the 45 day time limit for raising a claim with PayPal expired, after which they totally ignored my emails.
has anyone used www.sale-point.com ? | AVForums.com - UK Online
08-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #3

Hi Bonza,
Google SRS Microsystems. On the website is their phone number. Give them a ring and talk through the best deal on either the K5 or K30.
I have no connection with the company. However, I have bought all my gear from them for the last six years and from my experience those guys offer a fantastic service at a very competitive price.
Good luck with whatever you choose and remember to post some pictures.
Richard.
08-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
OK5

I have the K5 for almost a year and a half and find it to be a fantastic camera.
Having said that, with night sky photography being your biggest interest you might consider this:
-an excerpt from a web review-
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., April 3, 2012 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today introduced the EOS 60Da Digital SLR Camera, a long-awaited successor to the EOS 20Da that is optimized for astrophotography. This DSLR caters to astronomers and hobbyists who enjoy capturing the beauty of the night sky by offering a modified infrared filter and a low-noise sensor with heightened hydrogen-alpha sensitivity. These modifications allow the camera to capture magnificent photographs of “red hydrogen emission” nebulae and other cosmic phenomena.

I have no personal knowledge of this camera at all and it is relatively expensive, however it is something you might want to consider.

08-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
Wow! im overwhelmed by the help and replies. thanks a bunch guys!

Ok first of all i will NOT touch that site link i posted then.. thank you for the heads up! it is quite clever the way the display the website.. it almost looks like its based in the UK the way they show the GB flag etc. Thanks for the heads up Eddie.

as well as night sky, i will use it just as much for on holiday purposes but yes mainly any sort of night time art. Why is it so hard to choose a DSLR!! so for now, the K5, K30 and the Canon 60Da are serious choices, i will research more on the 60Da.. thanks OK5.

Cheers for sharing your dealer contact Richie, i will possibly call them in the future.

I just hope i make the right desicion and soon because i cant wait to start my new hobbie that i already somehow feel passionate about and when i catch my own pics of the northern lights; life will be complete. One day i want to produce great pics and blow them up and mount them on my walls as trophies

Great to meet you guys!!

Last edited by Parallax; 08-16-2012 at 10:58 AM.
08-16-2012, 11:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
I posted some links of a photographer i follow and to show the type which interests me but it doesnt show on my last message?

i hope i didnt break any rules and i am sorry if its not allowed, oops