Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2012, 04:26 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Histogram in display of K5

I have not used my K5 for a month because I recently bought the K30 but today I took both out and notice the histogram in the K5 had a bar graph look to it. I can't remember if the histogram was like this before. I am not sure but this usually happens if some information is missing or if a file is posturised. My first thought was that the sd card was currupt so I changed it but the result was just the same. Could it be the sensor or faulty in camera image processing.

08-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not sure exactly what you're seeing, but the histogram is composed of vertical bar across the range of light intensity. Adjacent bars have no space between them, so if adjacent light intensities are similar, the graph will look fairly smooth. Where light intensity differs markedly at one level from its adjacent levels (bars), that bar will either stick out or be depressed from the others, giving a notably jagged look.

I know of no settings, and no real-world scenes, that would produce a large number of adjacent bars that alternate from zero to some positive value. High contrast, and sometimes sharpening, can produce this look in some image processing programs, but I've never seen it on the K-5.

Don

Last edited by donras; 08-15-2012 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Add additional info
08-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your reply. Since posting I looked on the internet and found that it is commonly known as the comb effect. My understanding, limited, is that if the comb effect came from the base of the histogram with gaps between each bar then information is missing but my the comb effect in my histograms extended from the peaks and troughs which apparently is perfectly normal and dependent on the scene photographed.
08-16-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
Banned

Got pics?