Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Slight underexposure

I recently got a K-5, and I love it. Unlike my time with my K-x, I never have to correct the colors anymore. The out of the box auto White Balance seems to work most of the time. However, it seems like it consistently underexposes when in TAv mode by somewhere between a quarter and a half stop. Its easy enough to fix this in Lightroom, but is there something wrong with my camera that warrants warranty work? Or is there some way to fix this? I haven't put any new firmware on it.

08-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it only in Tav mode?
08-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #3

Could be to do the choice of metering - personally, underexposing by such a small amount is better than overexposing & blowing the highlights.

Lightroom is the way to go especially if using PEF/DNG.
08-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1/4 to 1/2 stop is not a huge underexposure, particularly with the K-5's dynamic range. Check your metering mode and how you meter your scenes and then we can give a more specific answer to your concern.

08-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you capturing in raw or jpeg? In either case, slight underexposure is far preferable to slight overexposure, especially given the K-5's tremendous capacity for clean, detailed shadows. The old paradigm of "expose to the right" (ETTR) no longer seems pertinent. I keep my K-5 exposure compensation dial set at -0.7 and adjust as needed.

Rob
08-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

underexpose compared to what?
More often then not the exposure is lower then people think they need to have, on the histogram the peak should be slightly to the left of the middle.
08-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

This is sort of a Pentax DSLR tradition, as far as I can tell.

My K20D tended to underexpose a bit (compared to other cameras), and the K5 perhaps a bit less so -- but it definitely tends to expose to preserve highlights.

I like that.

08-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
My K20D tended to underexpose a bit (compared to other cameras), and the K5 perhaps a bit less so -- but it definitely tends to expose to preserve highlights.

I like that.
I like it too. I agree that the K20D preserves highlights, but that is correct exposure AFAIC, most cameras get it wrong.

I believe this thread is a question of expectations. I love the way the K20D exposes. I dislike the metering on the K-x because it tends to slightly clip the highlights.
08-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
This is sort of a Pentax DSLR tradition, as far as I can tell.

I like that.
I do to. Just it often looks better when I correct it in Light room. As far as I can tell, all of the indoor shots I have taken, usually TAv or Av, have been very slightly under posed. I always shoot RAW (DNG specifically). Its not a big deal - its easy to fix. I was just hoping to avoid one post processing step. It is certainly easier to fix than the annoying white balance problems I had with the K-x.
08-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miltona580 Quote
I do to. Just it often looks better when I correct it in Light room. As far as I can tell, all of the indoor shots I have taken, usually TAv or Av, have been very slightly under posed. I always shoot RAW (DNG specifically). Its not a big deal - its easy to fix. I was just hoping to avoid one post processing step. It is certainly easier to fix than the annoying white balance problems I had with the K-x.
Interesting. I shot over a thousand photos in Paris, about half K20D, half K-x. I had to pull almost every K-x exposure back. I hardly touched the K20D exposures. I have to wonder whether different bodies expose differently. (I'm assuming we are both looking to keep the exposure between the lines on the histogram.)
08-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #11

I dont know if its the same issue, but my k-r slightly underexpose in tv mode versus av mode, using the same settings (iso, aperture, time)
I posted an example long time ago

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r/126809-different-exposure-tv-av-mode.html
08-18-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Do you have your monitor calibrated for the brightness?
08-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have calibrated it for my favorite photo processor. Is that the same thing?
08-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have calibrated it for my favorite photo processor. Is that the same thing?
No, it is not the same thing. Monitor calibration means having the monitor conform to a set of standards for color and brightness. Color calibration is based on international conventions, but brightness is based on user preferences, which I won't discuss here.

Be that as it may, exposure has nothing to do with the brightness of the monitor and everything to do with the range of tonal values that is recorded by the sensor. Generally, this is reflected in the histogram, but what really matters is whether detail is present in the brightest highlights and the darkest shadows. With raw capture, there is considerable latitude for correcting exposure in post-processing, but if detail is absent, it cannot be recovered.

Rob
08-19-2012, 01:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

But an image might look over exposed when the brightness of a monitor is set over the top.
Most LCD you need to turn town to about 30% so if you have it blasting at 80% then off course your image will look lighter then it is.