Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's 17 years since I was first diagnosed. What exwintech says is spot on. Control your caloric intake, and test yourself regularly. Combine this with regular exercise, and you will be surprised at how good you will start to feel. It IS treatable, and controllable. Good luck.

08-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #17

Original Poster
"Why you think diabetes is not treatable is unclear - as I said above, getting some other medical advice would be advisable.

But please DO something positive about your condition - now....! "

Regards, Dave.

I think may have come across the wrong way about this earlier...I do take insulin, both fast acting and long acting as well as medication for it. Its at night when I get up and eat while sleep walking without realizing it that is the problem . I found this on the net on web md:

"Although it is not as common as sleepwalking, nocturnal sleep-related eating disorder (NS-RED) can occur during sleepwalking. People with this disorder eat while they are asleep. They often walk into the kitchen and prepare food without a recollection for having done so. If NS-RED occurs often enough, a person can experience weight gain and increase their risk of developing type 2 diabetes."

Thanks for your input though, not treating diabetes is an extremely early death sentence thats for sure
08-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I think a few of us misunderstood your earlier descriptions.

I hope you are not offended by our urging for getting medical treatment. We were expressing our interest in your well-being, which is necessary for you to continue to share our interest in our interest in common.
08-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #19

Original Poster
Oh heck no I'm not offended just the opposite in fact I was pleasantly surprised. Its nice to know there are others out there that have to deal with it as I do. Also, despite that I've only had a few posts over the years and am not known on here, people took the time to go into detail about it all and urge me to get medical treatment for it. To me, it is a great demonstration of the awesome people and wonderful community I've found here to be willing to help someone in that position. It was my fault actually, and my apologies go out for my lack of clarity.

09-10-2012, 11:39 PM   #20

Well, I've been lurking for a while now, but this thread actually got to me to go and register. :-)

I've been a type 1 diabetic for over 23 years now. Harleynitelite, without a pancreas at all, what you have is probably much more like type 1 diabetes than type 2 diabetes -- that is, your body doesn't produce insulin at all. So exercise alone won't keep it under control, though it *will* affect the amount of insulin you need: you will probably find that you need less insulin for the same amount of food the more exercise you've gotten in the past 24 hours or so (though effects can last even longer than that).

The others are right that any vision problems mean you need to see a doctor, but I'll add one more piece of advice on top of that: talk to your doctor about getting an insulin pump. If your doctor won't consider it (some are old-fashioned), get a new doctor. They give you an amazing level of freedom compared to injections: instead of having to wait for the next long-acting shot to change something (to account for being sick, different exercise levels, etc.), you can just change it immediately, and instead of having to give yourself a shot every time you eat, you just press some buttons, which makes it a lot easier to have snacks. I've had a pump for 11 years now, and it's a vast improvement over injections for me, both for my health and for the flexibility of my lifestyle.

And now perhaps I'll go ask my own questions about K-5 vs K-30, which are slightly different. :-)