Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the KatzEye in a K-x & it's a big help in focusing my Tair 500mm f8 mirror lens. The KatzEye doesn't suffer from blackout with an f8 lens like others, so it's the one to get for that purpose, in my opinion.

I have the much cheaper RJ screen in my other K-x, and like RobA_Oz said, it suffers from blackout with an f8 lens. It would be pretty frustrating to use with your mirror lens. It's fine for f5.6 or faster lenses, though.

The reason the person is having front focusing issues with their KatzEye screen is because they didn't calibrate it with shims. You always have to do that regardless of the screen you put in. Screens are different thicknesses, so you need to calibrate it correctly any time you replace a screen with a different model, unless you're lucky enough to get a screen exactly the same thickness as the old one. (which is very unlikely.) You can order a set of shims for around $6 from Pentax.

I've calibrated several, and it's not really difficult, just fiddly and time consuming. And you do have to be careful you don't scratch the screen. Once you get it done, you'll be glad you did it.

08-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks again

@GibbyTheMole:
so you would say, for my purpose, the Katzeye screen is worth the price difference (100$ vs 30$ at eBay)?

@felixh:
so you would recommend a matte screen rather than a split screen (e.g. K3: Focusing Screen) ?
08-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iatros Quote
so you would say, for my purpose, the Katzeye screen is worth the price difference (100$ vs 30$ at eBay)?
Since you're using the mirror lens, I'd say the Katzeye is a must. The KatzEye doesn't suffer from prism blackout, whereas the $30 screen does. To use the $30 screen with a mirror lens, your eye has to be in precisely the right position to minimize the blackout. It's not a problem with the KatzEye, though.

The $30 screens are fine, and they do a great job... unless you're using a slow lens like a mirror lens. Then it's blackout city.

If you're skittish about installing a screen & calibrating it, the folks at KatzEye will do it for you for an extra $65. It is a good thing to know how to do it yourself, though. If you have questions, etc. feel free to PM me & I'll try to help you.

Good luck!
Bob :-)
08-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
@GibbyTheMole:

@felixh:
so you would recommend a matte screen rather than a split screen (e.g. K3: Focusing Screen) ?
I used the split screen, the K3 before and loved it but I have not encountered it going dark at F8 or lower. I just bought the Matt screen for the K5 as another Pentaxian in Singapore recommended it to me and I wanted to try it out.

The Matt screen is able to show the DOF on the screen itself according to the other Pentaxian who recommended it and I have tried it on his K-r and found it useful for lenses that are F2.8 and better.

If you really want the Split screen get the K3. It is really really good. Cheaper than the Katzeye too.

08-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I purchased two split screen Nikon K3 focusing screens for my K5's from "Focusing Screen" and am very pleased.
08-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently installed the Ketzeye screen in my camera. I also got the Optibrite, AF area brackets and composition markings (Auto level is off and I don't feel like sending it in for repair under warranty). I thought that the the screen might be too busy, but it is fine. I real like it. I would have preferred a 45 degree angle split screen but not an option.
08-24-2012, 08:51 AM   #22

Original Poster
In the meantime I sent a email to KatzEye and focusingscreen.com and asked whether the K3 went well together with the Tamron 500/8. KatzEye's answer was immediate (whereas still no reply from focusingscreen): Of course, yes, and she wrote: " Based on the small aperture of that lens though,I recommend use of the OptiBrite option for best viewfinder brightness.". Somewhere I've read that the OptiBrite made the viewfinder much to clear, like a windows glass. Can a viewfinder be too bright? I might use my old SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 as well....
08-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #23
Site Supporter

In the meantime I sent a email to KatzEye and focusingscreen.com and asked whether the K3 went well together with the Tamron 500/8. KatzEye's answer was immediate (whereas still no reply from focusingscreen): Of course, yes, and she wrote: " Based on the small aperture of that lens though,I recommend use of the OptiBrite option for best viewfinder brightness.". Somewhere I've read that the OptiBrite made the viewfinder much to clear, like a windows glass. Can a viewfinder be too bright? I might use my old SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 as well....
If KatzEye has given the answer, go for it. I believe it would be worth the investment. As I don't have a mirror lens, I use the screens from Focusingscreen.com without any hiccups.

08-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #24

Original Poster
Thank you all for your advices!

I would just like to quote the answer from focusingscreen I got yesterday:

Hi Martin,
Thank you for contacting us,If camera lens open diaphragm between f1.0~5.6 use k3 focusing screen to focusing is fit,If lens diaphragm between f8~11 k3 focusing screen still can manual focusing,but the angle split-image,will because diaphragm shrinks view angle will gradual of reduce.
We apologize for not replying to you earlier ^^||

Best Regards,
Deki Kuo

no more questions....