Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2012, 01:15 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which split image/microprism screen for K5

Hi all

I often use amnual objectives, above all a 500mm/f8 Tamron mirror tele which is very hard to focus with the OEM screen (because of nearly absent DOF and distant hyperfocal point) .
After looking in the forum (e.g. Katz-eye installed now the K-5 front focuses badly! - PentaxForums.com) I'm not sure whether or which screen to buy. I just need the microprism / split screen, no brackets - and I don't need problems with FF / BF after the replacement.
Thanks in advance

08-19-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Why not try in Live view? Or, there's a tethering app out there, although I can't remember details I'm afraid.
08-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I understood it correctly F8 is a tad too slow for a split screen, am I correct? Also, the screen got nothing to do with AF, it only affects the viewfinder. Shim it correctly when installing and you'll also get correct focus in the viewfinder.
08-19-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

You can look for Focusing Screen, and look for the S type screen. A number of users in Singapore have tried it and have given it the thumbs up.

08-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The S-type is wonderful, got it myself. My brother got the stock screen and I can barely use it anymore and my brother also wants a S-type. Though, the big difference is for fast lenses.
08-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I use the diagonal split-image screen from the eBay seller RJ camera accessory store (known also by his nom de plume "jinfinance"), which I find to be still useable with the Tamron 500 mirror, but your eye has to be in just the right spot to prevent blacking out. As has been noted above, Live View is probably a better bet, if you have time to deal with it that way, because I also find it's better to use a 2 second timer delay to minimise shake from the multiple mirror actions. Even without LV, I usually use the timer to minimise movement, but in some situations, you just don't have time for that, of course.
08-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you all for your reply

@JohnX: I agree, first use onboard means... I stll find it hard to focus even in LV!
You mean PK-Tether? I used the beta 0.6.0, but this version was not working well with the K5. I've seen now that there is anupdate; Im going to test it.

@VisualDarkness: "If I understood it correctly F8 is a tad too slow for a split screen, am I correct?" Sorry for my ignorance; could you explain that to me please? I've used the Tamron 500/f8 with my analog Pentax bodies and was very grateful for the microprism!
Shimming of a new screen seems rather complicated: Katz-eye installed now the K-5 front focuses badly! - PentaxForums.com

@felixh: the S-Type is a matte screen - is focussing then really easier? What about the K3 type?

@RobA_Oz: Does he sell such a screen for the K5 as well (or ar they all identcal...)?

best
Martin
08-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Forum Member

Hi. The S-type screen (a Canon screen cut down to size) is good for wide aperture lenses. With f=8 the viewfinder will be very dark, and I am afraid the special effect of this screen showing the focus won't work either. I havn´t found it useful with my DA 300/4+1,5x Kenko TC.
The A-type screen is better. The central microprism area won´t be useful with f=8 either (it is usable up to f=4). But the rest of the screen is better then the stock screen. Spot metering will be off, about 3 steps (I have both screens).
Either of them isn't an ideal solution, but I havn't found anything better yet then A-type for slow lenses.
Cheers - Klaus

08-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iatros Quote
@RobA_Oz: Does he sell such a screen for the K5 as well (or ar they all identcal...)?
They're not identical, and I've used their screens in both my K20D and my K-5. I haven't checked the eBay site recently, so I don't know what they've got on offer, but if you type the store name into an eBay search, you'll find them.
08-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Get the http://focusingscreen.com ones. The S Type screen. So much better than the eBay ones . . .

Last edited by felixkh; 08-20-2012 at 03:17 AM.
08-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Get the hrrp://focusingscreen.com ones. So much better than the eBay ones . . .
Well, you may say that, but I've compared the RJ screen in my K-5 with the Katzeye in a friend's K-5 using the same lens, and to my eye there wasn't a great deal between them. I therefore doubt the focusingscreen.com ones are better than the RJ screens, even if the latter are found on eBay. Like any other purchase, it's caveat emptor, though.
08-20-2012, 02:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have the katzeye.
You may need a set of shims to calibrate the focus.
Tried the canon S type on canon 5d and 7d. They are ok, but not as split screen.
As my eyes are not as good, I am more depend on split screen.

With tamron 500/8, and with tc2x, there is no problem to nail the focus.
08-20-2012, 03:51 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Well, you may say that, but I've compared the RJ screen in my K-5 with the Katzeye in a friend's K-5 using the same lens, and to my eye there wasn't a great deal between them. I therefore doubt the focusingscreen.com ones are better than the RJ screens, even if the latter are found on eBay. Like any other purchase, it's caveat emptor, though.
They use the actual Canon S type screen which is cut to size for the K5. I have used screens for the K20, K7 and now the K5
08-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

f/8 is too dark for an S-type screen, I have one and its dark enough at f/5.8.
08-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
f/8 is too dark for an S-type screen, I have one and its dark enough at f/5.8.
Gosh, I did not know that as I always use with a fast lens, so never really noticed it.