Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #1

Meter Operating Time

Why have this function? In what situation would you choose to extend the meter operating time? Thanks!

08-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This option also controls how long the indicators in the OVF are on. So if 'meter operating time' is set to 3 seconds the display turns off after 3 seconds. I think the options are 3, 10 & 30 seconds. If you need more time then set it longer, however this will increase battery use. So the trade off is between battery use and time spent looking at the indicators.

Just another option that Pentax gives us to customize the camera to suit ourselves.
08-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
CMG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
This option also controls how long the indicators in the OVF are on. So if 'meter operating time' is set to 3 seconds the display turns off after 3 seconds. I think the options are 3, 10 & 30 seconds. If you need more time then set it longer, however this will increase battery use. So the trade off is between battery use and time spent looking at the indicators.

Just another option that Pentax gives us to customize the camera to suit ourselves.
I see...that makes sense. So other than that, are you getting any kind of benefit from say a 30 second meter operating time? I suppose I can see a situation where you are shooting outside and the lighting is changing rapidly as you are looking through the viewfinder and composing the shot...maybe?
08-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Meter operating time also governs the auto exposure lock (AE-L) time. That's the time you've
got to reframe and take the shot from the moment you press the AE-L button.

Regards,
--Anders.

08-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

I'm sure there is more to it than that but I also can't find out what
08-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
I see...that makes sense. So other than that, are you getting any kind of benefit from say a 30 second meter operating time? I suppose I can see a situation where you are shooting outside and the lighting is changing rapidly as you are looking through the viewfinder and composing the shot...maybe?
In the studio, if I'm fussing with lights or focus or getting something exactly right the longer time means I do not have to keep hitting the shutter button to wake up the camera. In the field, I have it set to 10 seconds and never found a reason to go longer. Maybe with macro, if you are taking too long to get things just right.

As noted it also affects the AE-L timing, so that might be a factor. For me 3 seconds is too short 10 seconds works 90% of the time.
08-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I keep mine on 30 seconds. My question would be more the opposite than the OP -- in what situations would you choose to shorten it? I'm slow and deliberate -- it helps.