Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Exposure Bracketing

Can exposure bracketing be used in M mode? If so, will the K-5 use the exposure you set as the baseline for under/overexposing?

Also, once you have these bracketed shots, how do you process them into and HDR exposure, which I guess is the ultimate point of bracketing? How is this different from using the K-5's built in HDR function?

08-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It can. It's in a program line, not the mode dial (I'll have to look at my k5 to find it - I haven't shot HDR in a while). I suggest using HDR software rather than in-camera processing. Photomatix Pro is a good performer.
08-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
CMG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
It can. It's in a program line, not the mode dial (I'll have to look at my k5 to find it - I haven't shot HDR in a while). I suggest using HDR software rather than in-camera processing. Photomatix Pro is a good performer.
Thanks!
I've yet to shoot HDR or use any bracketing. At the moment I'm working on getting my exposure's creatively correct and going from there. I'm trying to understand what all the fuss is over HDR. I shoot JPEG and use a bit of Picasa, not because I'm a superstar, but because I'm working on my skills and getting my exposure creatively correct and I really don't like sitting in front of my computer doing PP so adding another software program to the mix doesn't excite me...haven't even ventured into LR yet...don't know if it makes sense if I'm not shooting RAW. I'm sure if one is good at HDR, the shots accomplish the purpose of allowing you to expose things that you otherwise could not in one shot for reasons of contrast, but alot of what I've seen looks kinda over-processed.

Is HDR like what film guys used to do by sandwiching multiple negatives/transparencies of varying exposures, putting them in the enlarger and making a print?
08-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For people that use Adobe's Lightroom software to do their post-processing, the LR/Enfuse plug-in is a very simple and efficient addition to merge bracketed images into one image. It's not HDR strictly speaking, but it yields files that given some additional post-processing can result in impressive HDR like images. The Enfuse algorithm defaults to relatively "natural" looking results, and as such is a good way to overcome extreme dynamic range without going over the top in case you don't really like the HDR effect.

BTW: if you bracket, make sure you vary shutter speed rather than aperture. Having the same aperture for all shots will preserve DOF between shots. Also, think about which order you want the bracketed images taken in. Personally I have set my K-5 up to take the most over-exposed shot first, reasoning that I am most stable when initially pressing the shutter? Perhaps if you don't work handheld another order my be advised? Some might prefer the "best" exposed image first so that it shows up as the most selected when grouping images in Lightroom? Regardless, you have the choice, so you might just as well set it up as you see best fit...

Wim

08-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CMG Quote
Thanks!
I've yet to shoot HDR or use any bracketing. At the moment I'm working on getting my exposure's creatively correct and going from there. I'm trying to understand what all the fuss is over HDR. I shoot JPEG and use a bit of Picasa, not because I'm a superstar, but because I'm working on my skills and getting my exposure creatively correct and I really don't like sitting in front of my computer doing PP so adding another software program to the mix doesn't excite me...haven't even ventured into LR yet...don't know if it makes sense if I'm not shooting RAW. I'm sure if one is good at HDR, the shots accomplish the purpose of allowing you to expose things that you otherwise could not in one shot for reasons of contrast, but alot of what I've seen looks kinda over-processed.

Is HDR like what film guys used to do by sandwiching multiple negatives/transparencies of varying exposures, putting them in the enlarger and making a print?
It is similar. Check out hdrcreme.com to see some good HDR shots. I used to really love doing it.
08-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
CMG

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
It is similar. Check out hdrcreme.com to see some good HDR shots. I used to really love doing it.
Thanks!