Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 color accuracy

When I bought my K10 it was tested as the DSLR with one of most accurate color rendering

is the K5 as good or better (not color bit depth but how "real" the colors are)

hope this makes sense

thanks

randy

08-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #2

I found the color rendering in the K5 to be too cool (bluish). After dialing the amber to +2 it was better, but I always had to do a little post-processing. That's my opinion, others will disagree.

Last edited by slowpath; 08-22-2012 at 09:29 PM.
08-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
still prefer my k10 I would sell the all others before the k10 if I had to.
08-23-2012, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I find the old CCD cameras a little too warm (yellow) in daylight and way to warm in tungsten light. I find the new cameras, from the K-x onward, too blue in daylight, but very accurate in tungsten light. I find the K20D most accurate in daylight, i.e. in between the other two, but a little too warm in tungsten. I don't know where the K-7 fits.

However, accurate white balance doesn't necessarily make the best photos. A little warming from the old CCD's can do wonders for greens, the slighty exaggerated coolness of the new cameras can really punch up skies and blue water. The slightly excessive warmth of the K20D in tungsten light can translate to a warm and cozy mood.

My wife still uses the K100DS, but she has asked for my K-x. Sometimes I look at her photos and think, she should stick with the old K100. It really suits her style of photography. My personal preference for pleasing and accurate colours is the K20D, but with any given photo, one of the others could give a more pleasing interpretation.

08-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
still prefer my k10 I would sell the all others before the k10 if I had to.
perhaps I should also add that that some , but not all, of my lenses seem to affect the colour as well ;depending on which body they are fitted.

there is a definite difference in shade /vibrancy of some colours between using for example by Tokina 28-70 or Sigma 26-60 on the any of the bodies.
08-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #6

I would also agree that AWB produces a bluish image; setting the WB to daylight for outdoor shots makes a difference for the better IMHO; I also post process in LR get the best out of each image.
08-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #7

I think top notch color accuracy is something very, very few people really need. Unless you must have a very short workflow ( camera > medium basically ) and you need the colors to be more accurate than pleasant, nothing to worry about. Most people would prefer the looks of a good profile to a natural look.