Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Is there any reason that I shouldn't buy a K-5?

Hi. I'm planning to buy a camera and I liked what I saw about k-5 a lot.
I know most of the things that I like about it ( although without ever touching one ) but I don't know what to expect in terms of cons.
I find even though there might be bias involved, user reviews are very valuable. Hence this thread.

I'm originally from Minolta camp. I still have and use my 7d, although film cameras don't get any use. Obviously I don't care too much about resell value. Been there. I also have quite a few great and/or eccentric screwmount lenses that I can transfer to pentax. Probably the only lens I'm going to get with K-5 will be the 35mm 2.8 macro.

My main concerns are:

AF: AF speed isn't a big concern, neither is AFC. Although accuracy and low light performance is important.

Ergonomics: I'm big on manual use. I love carefully placed knobs and dials. As far as I can see k-5 shines in this regard, and I hope that's the case.

Viewfinder: Brightness, size, acuteness, info, readability. One of the most important factors for me. How good is it? Do we have options?

Plus of course, any negative that has irritated you in any way. I plan to use this for at least 5-6 years, if I get it.

Thanks!

08-25-2012, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I switched to the K5 from Canon 5D MKII. While I miss the size of the ff viewfinder, there is nothing else I miss. The controls, build quality, and size are great. All the info you'll need is shown on the top plate, in the viewfinder, or if you prefer, on the main LCD. Files look every bit as good as the 5D MKII, YMMV
08-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Only if the K-30 fits you better. I had the choice and chose the K-30, the improved autofocus being one of the reasons. There are a lot of similarities, but look at the differences and see which ones make sense for you.
08-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g.t.onizuka Quote
Although accuracy and low light performance is important.
Thats sadly one reason not to get it, the K30 seems to have improved a lot i've heard.

Anyway most here have problems with the AF accuracy and low light, i don't have much problem when shooting concerts though so not sure so how the problems precisely works?

08-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only reason I can think of not to get a K-5 right now is that the successor should be announced soon. I it were me, I would wait (if you can afford the time) and see what happens in the next few weeks.
08-25-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Couldn't live without my K-5.

Playing around last night at late dusk on my deck, handheld, using my Pentax F 35-70mm, jpeg from the camera, no PP.
ISO: 12800
Exposure: 1/8 sec
Aperture: 22.0
Focal Length: 35mm

08-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #7

my thoughts

After weeks of thought and sleepless nights I have made the decision you are sweating on. My K5 has been ordered from SRS and is due next week.
I decided not to wait for a new model because it would seem that the K5 does everything I could ever want and then some.
I am upgrading from a K100D super that has seen much use and is being passed on to my son.
I am sure that any replacement will cost considerably more than £729.
Best of luck with your decision and I hope to post some results soon.

08-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No, none whatsoever.
The K-5 is a very compact, quiet and powerful prosumer camera.
Paired with the lenses, and there's literally nothing that couldn't be done with it.

Unless of course you want to cover high speed sports gigs at which point I'd recommend looking at the 1D X or D4 instead
08-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
Forum Member

At the risk of duplicating the comment in my mainly positive post in the forum above this one,,, live-view is something to beware of. Many people don't use live-view and always use the viewfinder, thats fine, if you ever plan to use live-view then think twice and try in-store .... it does an automatic zoom to the focus point just as you shoot, incredibly, incredibly annoying and cannot be disabled.
08-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #10

I have had my K5 for 6 months now and must admit K5 is great camera. updated from k100d and K5 makes k100d looks like a peace of shit even i did love my k100d also but honestly K5 is like DSRL dream come true
08-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I still use my K10, but since buying a k-5, the difference in AF speed is significant over the K10, and the higher ISO capability is fantastic.
I didn't want to use my k10 above 400, 800 at a push.
With the K-5, I have no worries about using 3200, but I usually set it with a limit of 6400 if need be.

For what I needed AF for, birds, and cycling events, and such like, my K10 performed well. Admittedly I don't have the fastest lenses.
The k-5 has notably improved AF, which is good enough for my needs.

Viewfinder is nice and bright, but the rear LCD is great.
All the info and more at a glance.

I still prefer the overall shape of the k10.
And the memory card door isn't the greatest as the memory card needs a bit of persuasion to get out.
The K-5 is a fine camera though.
08-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
CDW
Site Supporter

The K-5 is the Swiss Army Knife of APS-c sensored DSLRs. The feature set is amazing. Low light performance is stunning, especially for night sky work. I don't miss my 5D2 at all. Hopefully, Pentax will bring a successor (FF please) that is even more amazing but if they don't the K-5 will suddenly become very desirable in the used marketplace. At the closeout prices the K-5 is currently going for now, you can't go wrong.
08-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
it does an automatic zoom to the focus point just as you shoot, incredibly, incredibly annoying and cannot be disabled.
I actually like it because you can judge if the focus is correct while it zooms in.
08-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
At the risk of duplicating the comment in my mainly positive post in the forum above this one,,, live-view is something to beware of. Many people don't use live-view and always use the viewfinder, thats fine, if you ever plan to use live-view then think twice and try in-store .... it does an automatic zoom to the focus point just as you shoot, incredibly, incredibly annoying and cannot be disabled.
use manual focus, it's THAT simple
08-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #15

Original Poster
thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

live view is not important to me currently, I'm not sure if I'll ever consider it an important decision factor. But thanks for mentioning that.

The AF accuracy issue however is troubling. :/ I have no doubt that k-5 will be able to deliver top notch image quality in low light, as long as the shot is taken correctly. However shots missed when they shouldn't bug me. I have done some research after anvh's post. It seems to be a prevalent issue. There also seems to be a consistent front focus in tungsten light. I have also stumbled upon some information that af can be fine tuned in-camera? If there is a walk around that essentially creates a tungsten light af mode, I could live with that.

I mostly shoot people and about a third of the time it's in tungsten lit settings. This is possibly a deal breaker if it's a real problem with no walkarounds