Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #16

I love the K-5 and regardless of the marketing "upgrades", after several months of use, I know it will meet my requirements for several years.

08-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #17
Veteran Member

For an SLR camera, the K5 may have the quietest shutter/mirror out there. I do a lot of shooting for a live theater organization, and the quiet shutter adds to ones ability to take candid shots.

Its a fine tool that motivates one to go out shooting - what more can be said. I'm very tempted to get a second copy.

go for it - you'll enjoy it is my advice.
08-26-2012, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #18

The K-5 is like a D7000, only better
I can say this on our Pentax site, eh?
I can finally speak the truth!!
08-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chicagojohn Quote
The K-5 is like a D7000, only better
I can say this on our Pentax site, eh?
I can finally speak the truth!!
you wouldn't be the first there are members who picked up D7000 and then sold it shortly after trying it (and took a bit of a bath on the lenses etc they bought)

Nikon wins on Flash most definitely, it focuses fast but apparently less accurately

K5 wins in all other areas

08-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
you wouldn't be the first there are members who picked up D7000 and then sold it shortly after trying it (and took a bit of a bath on the lenses etc they bought)

Nikon wins on Flash most definitely, it focuses fast but apparently less accurately

K5 wins in all other areas
Amen Brother!
08-27-2012, 02:53 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g.t.onizuka Quote
thanks for all the replies guys. I really appreciate it.

live view is not important to me currently, I'm not sure if I'll ever consider it an important decision factor. But thanks for mentioning that.

The AF accuracy issue however is troubling. :/ I have no doubt that k-5 will be able to deliver top notch image quality in low light, as long as the shot is taken correctly. However shots missed when they shouldn't bug me. I have done some research after anvh's post. It seems to be a prevalent issue. There also seems to be a consistent front focus in tungsten light. I have also stumbled upon some information that af can be fine tuned in-camera? If there is a walk around that essentially creates a tungsten light af mode, I could live with that.

I mostly shoot people and about a third of the time it's in tungsten lit settings. This is possibly a deal breaker if it's a real problem with no walkarounds
I had the K-r last year, that DOES have a problem, quick test on K-5 didn't show a problem - the focus of each lens can be separately fine tuned but AFAIK that adjustment applies to all lighting conditions for that one lens.

Most of the AF gripes on the K-5 are wrt it not being so quick for fast moving targets as the competitors, you should be fine with people.
08-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #22

Original Poster
thanks again for the replies. as far as I can see AF issues seem to be the main thing that can veer me off from k-5. apart from buttons falling off :P

I'll try to do a hands-on test specifically about the conditions in which k-5 might not perform as well as I like.
the main competition for the k-5 for me happens to be d7000, and apparently it has similar problems. we'll see.

08-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery
No reason not too

I've shot the K-5 for about a year (traded in a K10) and it continues to teach me stuff especially what I can do in low light. I've chimed in because the lens I used most often is the DA 35mm macro. Small and the sharpest lens I have ever used. You'll love it
08-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi. I'm planning to buy a camera and I liked what I saw about k-5 a lot.
I know most of the things that I like about it ( although without ever touching one ) but I don't know what to expect in terms of cons.
I find even though there might be bias involved, user reviews are very valuable. Hence this thread.

I'm originally from Minolta camp. I still have and use my 7d, although film cameras don't get any use. Obviously I don't care too much about resell value. Been there. I also have quite a few great and/or eccentric screwmount lenses that I can transfer to pentax. Probably the only lens I'm going to get with K-5 will be the 35mm 2.8 macro.

My main concerns are:

AF: AF speed isn't a big concern, neither is AFC. Although accuracy and low light performance is important.

Ergonomics: I'm big on manual use. I love carefully placed knobs and dials. As far as I can see k-5 shines in this regard, and I hope that's the case.

Viewfinder: Brightness, size, acuteness, info, readability. One of the most important factors for me. How good is it? Do we have options?

Plus of course, any negative that has irritated you in any way. I plan to use this for at least 5-6 years, if I get it.

Thanks!
having used pentax bodies since film, the K5 is a good camera, although bigger than the K30 so if you want compact, the 30 could be better, that is a feelie touchie thing, i have big hands so I like the K5 size over smaller bodies.

as for viewfinder, how is your eyesight, many older people like the full frame film viewfinder size better, but that is a different topic. I shoot with glasses on, -3.25 diopter corrective lenses, without any issue. other than my wife can';t use my camera because her eyesight is not the same as mine and the viewfinder is out of focus.

for low light the only thing that got me a few nights ago is the AF assist only comes on it appears in AF-S, but wont hold a lock, and in AF-C cant focus without the assist. Note that this was when lighting was off the bottom of the specified range for AF to work. (shooting at about 1/20th and F2.8 with ISO32000) how do you say dark?

As for real reasons why not to buy

- the price will drop 1 week after you get it.
- the replacement model will be better performing still
- all the other things that happen when you purchase a new high tech toy

go out and get one, even if you upgrade to another camera later it will still give you years of enjoyment.

I still shoot my *istD bought in late 2003, and my K10D bought in late 2005 as well as my K5 and K7.
08-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only reason not to get it now is if you want to wait for the announcement of the next version which should incorporate the AF improvements seen in the K30.

Personally I felt this was a great time to pick up a second K-5 due to the excellent prices and just got my second one last week. (Paid twice as much for my first one.)

I have not had the focus issues, mirror craziness, or button shedding others have reported and I'm hoping my new one is just as solid.

I love this camera.
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
Let me add one point regarding your original post:

Ergonomics: I'm big on manual use. I love carefully placed knobs and dials
One of the best things about the K5 (and some prior K models as well) is that virtually everything is easily accessible via button. You don't need to waste time drilling down in menus for most things. I recently took a refresher photography course with me being the only Pentaxian, two Sonys and the rest the usual Nikon and Cannon products, and we all had our cameras there for some practical work. It was fascinating to watch the others contort through menus or multiple buttons to do simple things like ISO or WB changes, things that are so simple on the Pentax. If you like to shoot manual, as I now do, things are so much easier and faster on the K5 vs. the other bevy of DSLRs that I have seen.

BTW, the low light focusing is MUCH improved vs. my original K20. I have seen some complaints but generally have only experienced serious hunting on very rare occasions. I primarily use a Sigma 17-70 HSM for walk-around and my favorite DA* 60-250 for greater distance shots (though I do use it for portraiture as well). With the K20 I knew that I would hunt in low light, often to not lock on. But for most lighting conditions the K5 has been great 98% of the time. (The operator gets far lower marks!)
08-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I too enjoy the simple layout and ease of accessing items. I don't dislike the menus of other brands (having shot Olympus, Nikon and Canon), it's just the layout is more user friendly. I recently shot an indoor "silent disco" event using my K-5, 35/2.4 AL and Sigma 10-20 3.5 HSM. I only had a few issues due to the darkness, but I can't complain because 2 weeks prior I used my D700 and had similar issues.
08-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
At the risk of duplicating the comment in my mainly positive post in the forum above this one,,, live-view is something to beware of. Many people don't use live-view and always use the viewfinder, thats fine, if you ever plan to use live-view then think twice and try in-store .... it does an automatic zoom to the focus point just as you shoot, incredibly, incredibly annoying and cannot be disabled.
LV is okay if you a manual lens. W/AF lenses, you start to get icons similar to the shoulder mounted weapons in the movie "Predator". I upgraded from the LX and learned the camera on a 10-day vacation using manual mode as I didn't trust myself with anything else. Eventhough Pentax has traditionally been a aperture priority proponent, I love TAv for Sports ,SV and Hyper-Program(can't be bothered to TA/Green modes).

Last edited by tabl10s; 08-27-2012 at 06:00 PM.
09-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
I switched to the K5 from Canon 5D MKII. While I miss the size of the ff viewfinder, there is nothing else I miss. The controls, build quality, and size are great. All the info you'll need is shown on the top plate, in the viewfinder, or if you prefer, on the main LCD. Files look every bit as good as the 5D MKII, YMMV
This is exactly what I did and I'm currently a little bit confused which lenses to work with. Is there any good performing zoom lens that can catch up with the 24-70's quality? Also, I had a Tamron 70-300 which delivered impressive results, but I can't find a comparable lens for Pentax...
09-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minga Quote
This is exactly what I did and I'm currently a little bit confused which lenses to work with. Is there any good performing zoom lens that can catch up with the 24-70's quality? Also, I had a Tamron 70-300 which delivered impressive results, but I can't find a comparable lens for Pentax...
DA*16-50 f/2.8 would be such a lens, buy one new though with extended warranty there are a few problems with reliability of the focus motor/system inside the lens.