Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Forum Member

The 18-55 kit zoom?

No matter what settings or photo conditions i just can't get the 18-55 kit zoom to take good sharp pictures.
Is that lens really that bad or is there anything else i can do? Read in manual that you cad adjust the focus for a particular lens?
Is it worth the trouble even trying? And if this lens is that nad why do they even bother selling it making people dissapointed?

The strange thing is that i think the lens takes better pictures in bad conditions than in good?
Pictures comes out better indoor than in daylight outside where they often are unsharp. I only have the pentax 55-300 to compare with and that lens makes really nice pictures i think.

08-26-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Your lens might be uncalibrated.
One way to test this is to record your settings(SEE: EXIF DATA) and set yourself up to replicate them manually. Then... you can jump live view, zoom-in or magnify, nail your focus and compare the results. If the manual image is sharp whereas the AF one is soft or out of focus then you have likely uncovered the culprit.

Other than that, there are numerous other factors that can affect image sharpness; shutter speed, hand held vs monopod or tripod, aperture value, ISO and NR settings as well as shake reduction to mention but a few off the top. And so getting to the bottom might require a little trial and error.

Having said that, if you post some samples, there's a good chance that we can identify some tell tail signs of what might be going on.
08-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
I agree with JohnBee.

I am quite impressed with the pictures that my kit lens produces.

And I've seen numerous statements that the Pentax kit lens is much better than Nikon's or Canon's, so I think you may be running into a problem with your specific lens
08-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Codazzle Quote
And I've seen numerous statements that the Pentax kit lens is much better than Nikon's or Canon's, so I think you may be running into a problem with your specific lens
If you take pictures in the store on your own memory card and compare them, you'd think the Pentax is a much better camera than any APS-C Canon model. Really, it's mostly the kit lens. Even just looking at the screens on the back of the cameras while in the store you can tell a real difference. If more people would do this simple comparison (and more stores stocked Pentax) there would be a lot more Pentax DSLRs sold, because the difference is quite noticeable - even to a novice - just as long as they zoom in when reviewing the shots!

08-26-2012, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
... (and more stores stocked Pentax)...
Here in the UK many of the main chains don't stock anything above the K-r except in flagship stores, Pentax (Ricoh) need to pump in some marketing spend and get the cameras out there. Just get the K-30/K-5 out there with the "perfect for families in all weathers" message and the success will follow.
08-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Post some large size pictures for us to judge, please. I personally believe it is user error.
08-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveUK Quote
Just get the K-30/K-5 out there with the "perfect for families in all weathers" message and the success will follow.
Yes, I think this would do the trick. It's a simple solution, and I think it would be effective. You just have to show people why they need something.

08-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
You know what?
I went out today and bought the Tamron 17-50/f2.8 instead. :-)
08-28-2012, 03:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peos99 Quote
I went out today and bought the Tamron 17-50/f2.8 instead. :-)
That's a fine lens. I have one.
Don't forget to check it exhaustively for softness due to de-centering, as well as FF and BF problems. And don't forget to use the cheapest possible UV filter on the lens

But seriously, unless they has been damaged or something, all of the current Pentax APS-C kit lenses (ALII, DAL, and WR - I have all three) work great. I'm happy with them all.

FWIW, DxO Optics Pro has lens modules that support all the kit lenses above, as well as the Tamron. It can make a difference for critical subjects.
08-28-2012, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #10

I've always found the 18-55 DAL II to be surprisingly good. So much so that I can't be seen to get rid of it.

Here's what I've pulled out of it so far...

The details on this shot are incredible. 100% crops reveal a lot.

Your new tamron is a great lens, but the kit lens isn't too shabby at all.
08-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shots Gn!pGnop! I too have the Tammy and Kit18-55. Tammy is great for lower light levels but the kit does just fine outdoors.
08-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That apartment shot is fantastic!
08-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nice pictures!

I will post some pictures to let you know why i donīt like the lens, havenīt really figured out how yet though.
I was going to buy the Tamron lens anyway, and now i got a discount (364 euros).
I have some really nice pictures taken with the Kit soom as well but overall i am not happy with it, but it can also be doing something wrong?
08-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
And don't forget to use the cheapest possible UV filter on the lens
Why ?

Greetings
08-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have had four kit lenses, and was only really happy with the first one (a mark 1 18-55).