Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5/Transcend SD Card Puzzler

Last evening I shot a number of night sky frames with my K-5, loaded with a 32 gig Transcend SD card. I reviewed the images before calling it a night(morning). Later this morning when I turned on the camera to have a look at the frames, they were missing. I then shot some additional test frames that I could recall while the camera was turned on but when I turned it off and back on, and tried to bring up the test frames, they were also missing.

I then loaded a 16 gig Transcend card and ran the same tests. I didn't lose the test frames with the 16 gig card. The particular 32 gig card that lost the frames also has files on it from my 645d as well as some old Canon files, FWIW. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any thoughts.

Additional note: The offending card has space for over 400 K-5 RAW files remaining, so I'm sure it's likely not a memory space issue.

08-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What firmware version are you using in your K-5? I seem to recall that older firmware had a problem with higher gb cards.
08-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
The particular 32 gig card that lost the frames also has files on it from my 645d as well as some old Canon files, FWIW.
Never mix and match a card between cameras, especially between different brands. The manual warns of this.

I've seen similar things happen when using the same SD card on either my NEX or my Fuji point and shoot with my K-x. It seems safest to format cards in-camera, and use one card with one camera type.
08-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Agree with the above. It sounds like the card is formatted for a different camera - perhaps a Canon? I'd suggest pulling everything off the card to your computer and reformatting in whichever camera you will be using it in. Don't mix and match.

08-28-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
CDW
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, good points and I actually remember being told in the past to format the card for the camera. Over the last few years I've mixed cameras/cards without formatting and this is the first time it's been a problem. Lesson learned!