Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Pentax K-5's issues with external flash

I have couple issues when K-5 attach with Metz 58AF-2.

1. With 58AF-2 in P-TTL HSS mode, I found my shutter speed can't over than 1/180 in TV mode.
I try it on my K-r. K-r is able to set shutter speed highter than 1/180.
However, it works find when I use TAV mode in K-5.
Is any one has the same problem?

2. I found many users on the forum has K-5 with external flash has overexpose problem.
Any one has the proper solution for this issue?

08-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member
mysticcowboy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: port townsend, wa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 968
1/180 is the listed top sync speed for the K-5. With Tv or Av mode that should be your limit. There is a high speed sync setting that lets you use higher flash speeds, but doesn't send one flash burst but a series of micro-flashes. TAv is basically a manual mode with adjustable ISO. That flash will fire but not sync well with TTL. I also have overexposure problems with my K-5. I adjust the flash exposure compensation.
08-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
1/180 is the listed top sync speed for the K-5. With Tv or Av mode that should be your limit. There is a high speed sync setting that lets you use higher flash speeds, but doesn't send one flash burst but a series of micro-flashes. TAv is basically a manual mode with adjustable ISO. That flash will fire but not sync well with TTL. I also have overexposure problems with my K-5. I adjust the flash exposure compensation.
Thanks for the reply.
I knew that 1/180 is the top sync speed for K-5 with Metz 58AF-2 in P-TTL.
I thought that when I enable HSS in flash it also should increase the sync speed.
Somehow my K-r did, without any twist.
08-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Murcia, Spain
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 72
QuoteOriginally posted by minkuei Quote
Thanks for the reply.
I thought that when I enable HSS in flash it also should increase the sync speed.
Somehow my K-r did, without any twist.
With my K5 and Pentax FGZ 360 Flash high speed sync functions correctly with p-TTL in TV, TAV and manual modes. It doesn't in AV mode (the speed stays at 1/180s, and there is no way to change it; I think this is normal).

Cheers - Klaus

08-29-2012, 05:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by Klaus Quote
With my K5 and Pentax FGZ 360 Flash high speed sync functions correctly with p-TTL in TV, TAV and manual modes. It doesn't in AV mode (the speed stays at 1/180s, and there is no way to change it; I think this is normal).
That would be a bummer, because HSS in Av works on the K-7 (and it did on the K10d as well).

If I recall correctly, however, HSS in Av mode works only when ISO is set manually (i.e. not in Auto-ISO).
08-29-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Murcia, Spain
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 72
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
That would be a bummer, because HSS in Av works on the K-7 (and it did on the K10d as well).
You are right. HSS works with the K5 in Av. I had tried in a too dark room to get the shorter exposure times.

Cheers - Klaus
09-02-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 170
Hi there,

I got serious overexpose problem with the Metz 44 AF on my K5 running on v1.13, the flash over by 2 stops or more in all modes, much worst than an old school sensor flash, I've to use exposure adjustment until I get it right. On the other hand the on camera flash worked quite well, but it is blocked by the lens, the camera must be fixed, any news about the new firmware ?
09-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
QuoteOriginally posted by minkuei Quote
1. With 58AF-2 in P-TTL HSS mode, I found my shutter speed can't over than 1/180 in TV mode.
I try it on my K-r. K-r is able to set shutter speed highter than 1/180.
However, it works find when I use TAV mode in K-5.
Is any one has the same problem?
I think my K5+58AF-2 do HSS in Tv mode, I will check this later today to make sure...

QuoteOriginally posted by minkuei Quote
2. I found many users on the forum has K-5 with external flash has overexpose problem.
Any one has the proper solution for this issue?
YES!! Major overexpose problems. I always use fixed flash exposure compensation -1EV both buildin and external flash. Mostly this do correct the problem especially with buildin flash exposures are ok when putting also exposure compensation -0.3 or -0.7 Ev. But with 58AF exposures can not be trusted in PTTL at all cos it can suddenly overexposure many EV...sometimes I even need to use -5Ev without any reason. And also if I did take pic with -0.7 Ev exposure compensation and i did check histogram and changed exposure compensation to -0.3 cos little too dark then pic can be burnout totally. So its always needed to check every pic and adjust correction and hope for the best. Sometimes putting 58AF power off and on again helps also...sometimes not...

I think K5 have something to correct with its flash programming...and why flash exposure compensation range is limited to -+2Ev...and why not have manual flash power output for buildin flash.

One new thing that really is irritating with using flash also is when use wireless flash mode (in program mode M and then pttl flash) then SR is off...why why why pentax u do this to me...looks like it is needed to buy lens with OS anyway...this makes me wonder why i use pentax and not Nikon

09-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 165
QuoteOriginally posted by minkuei Quote
I have couple issues when K-5 attach with Metz 58AF-2.

1. With 58AF-2 in P-TTL HSS mode, I found my shutter speed can't over than 1/180 in TV mode.
I try it on my K-r. K-r is able to set shutter speed highter than 1/180.
However, it works find when I use TAV mode in K-5.
Is any one has the same problem?
I did try my K5+58AF-2 in P-TTL HSS mode and it do work normally in HSS also in Tv mode, meaning can even use 1/8000. I did found that HSS works all modes but X, Bulb, Green, P and Sv HSS not work. I have updated firmwares both K5 and 58AF-2.
09-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian
awaldram's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 720
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

I got serious overexpose problem with the Metz 44 AF on my K5 running on v1.13, the flash over by 2 stops or more in all modes, much worst than an old school sensor flash, I've to use exposure adjustment until I get it right. On the other hand the on camera flash worked quite well, but it is blocked by the lens, the camera must be fixed, any news about the new firmware ?
More likley your Metz must be fixed !!

Besides a bit a facial distortion exposure is spot on.

K5 + Pentax 540 fgz

Attachment 139719

Last edited by awaldram; 05-22-2014 at 04:20 AM.
09-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,585
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
More likley your Metz must be fixed !!
Indeed.

Third party products like Metz flashes are the responsible party here. Pentax can't write code that attempts to figure out how Metz hardware should work, it needs to be the other way around.
09-10-2012, 12:57 AM   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 170
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
More likley your Metz must be fixed !!<br />
<br />
Besides a bit a facial distortion exposure is spot on.<br />
<br />
K5 + Pentax 540 fgz<br />
<br />
Attachment 139719
<br />
<br />
The Metz is new so I seriously doubted that ! I got a cheap TTL flash which has auto firing problem beside over expose, so I get the Metz and the problem gone, but I still read about over exposed problem and people complain about the camera.
09-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 170
Well you are right, I just traded my Metz 44 AF-1 for the 50 AF-1, because it cost half of the Pentax equivalent so I give it a try. I tested it to the extreme from lowest to the highest ISO and F opening, overall the flash is quite accurate except little off at the extreme ends, I also upgraded to the latest firmware V3.0 and still the same result, but I have no complain at all ! but strange is that, the image turns slightly warm at the F18-F22 (16-50 DA*) why is that ?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, flash, issues, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k-r, k5, mode, pentax k-5, shutter
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
External Pentax flash with X100? abieleck Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 07-27-2012 01:29 PM
External HSS Flash Pentax K-x antone Pentax DSLR Discussion 14 05-16-2012 08:54 PM
Pentax f 1.7x tc and external flash-no hss? Waygook Visitors' Center 5 12-23-2011 10:19 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K200 DSLR, 4 lens, external flash asburydan Sold Items 5 08-12-2011 04:59 AM
External flash advice for Pentax K-x (Pentax AF360 FGZ) ADHWJC Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 11-04-2010 12:54 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top