Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,162
K-5 vs D7000 Built Quality

An interesting Nikon D7000 dissection appears to demonstrate that the K-5's built quality is much higher in terms of the magnesium alloy body and the many weather seals.

I would not have thought that the difference is that big.

08-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Spodeworld's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New Joisey
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,215
That may be the case...but as a Nikon D7000 owner, although it feels very solid, I don't really think of it as a camera that I would bring out in inclement weather, like I would my K20D. The image quality and the technology in it is fabulous though (...I'm not looking to start a K-5 vs. D7000 war though...as I know the K-5 is awesome too).
08-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
And to consider that there are a few references saying how the K-30's sealing is as good or slightly better than the k-5...

It's nice to have affordable good weather sealing. I didn't have as much fun using my umbrella and a k-x yesterday, because of the umbrella:




Made me want a k-5/k-30 and a DA*55 or a DA 18-135 so bad...
08-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
And to consider that there are a few references saying how the K-30's sealing is as good or slightly better than the k-5...

It's nice to have affordable good weather sealing. I didn't have as much fun using my umbrella and a k-x yesterday, because of the umbrella:




Made me want a k-5/k-30 and a DA*55 or a DA 18-135 so bad...
The K-30 seals are essentially a 2 year newer version of the K-5 seals. I had a long talk with the Pentax rep about them and the take away was that the K-30 has the same attention to detail and depth of seals that the K-5 does but that the materials in the K-30 benefit from both the lessons learned with the K-5 and advances in materials over the intervening 2 year period. So, they may be a bit better but incrementally better.

08-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The K-30 seals are essentially a 2 year newer version of the K-5 seals. I had a long talk with the Pentax rep about them and the take away was that the K-30 has the same attention to detail and depth of seals that the K-5 does but that the materials in the K-30 benefit from both the lessons learned with the K-5 and advances in materials over the intervening 2 year period. So, they may be a bit better but incrementally better.
Still awesome in a sub $1000 camera, especially considering the amount of abuse I've seen k-5's through.
08-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Still awesome in a sub $1000 camera, especially considering the amount of abuse I've seen k-5's through.
Absolutely. I asked at the local camera store about weather sealed cameras from other lines and the General Manager said that there isn't one at the Mid-Level other than the Pentax. No one else offers ANY weather sealing below the ProSumer level and many of those are what I call Fake WR cameras with only a few seals but nothing like what the K-5 and K-30 have.
08-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Absolutely. I asked at the local camera store about weather sealed cameras from other lines and the General Manager said that there isn't one at the Mid-Level other than the Pentax. No one else offers ANY weather sealing below the ProSumer level and many of those are what I call Fake WR cameras with only a few seals but nothing like what the K-5 and K-30 have.
Well, after seeing this D7000's sealing...

I wonder how the 7D/60D compares
08-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well, after seeing this D7000's sealing...

I wonder how the 7D/60D compares
Take a look at the diagrams and transparent CAD images of weather sealing to see if the camera is "really" weather sealed. The image used for the K-30 is essentially the same in most particulars as the K-5 (with the obvious differences for ports that are moved, not present,etc.) and shows 70+ places where seals are employed. Try finding a similar image for many of the ones I think of as "fake" WR, they aren't there.

The illustration of the weather sealing on the K-30 body.


Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, d7000, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, quality
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
will a good quality ND filter retain 100% pic quality? liukaitc Photographic Technique 20 01-14-2012 09:05 PM
Quality Glass vs Quality Photographer Rainy Day Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 86 12-30-2011 01:31 PM
Metz 50AF1 vs 58AF2 - Built quality? scorpioh Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 0 01-21-2011 06:23 PM
Pentax K-5 vs Nikon D7000 image quality seliscan Pentax K-5 5 11-02-2010 01:54 AM
From K-X to K-5... or D7000? jremick Pentax K-5 80 10-27-2010 01:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top