Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Memory Card Error and other strange problems?

I was making some nice pictures just a minute ago and all of a sudden the camera starting acting strange. First, I got a Memory Card Error. The camera didn't respond well to the on and off button until I took the card out. Also, the top display went berserk with the memory card in: With the camera off part of the display was still on, and the main display wouldn't go on all time times with the memory card in.

It currently does seem to work with another card in there, but it feels pretty awkward. I checked the car in my PC and my PC says I need to format the card to be able to read it

Do you know what might be the cause, and what might solve it?

08-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a bad SD card. They do go bad. I'd sit it aside and when home I'd try to recover what is on there with RescuePro from SanDisk or another rescue program. Also, cards tend to work better in my experience when they are formatted in camera and used in only that camera.

Also, I'd check to see what Firmware you are running in your K-5. There were problems with reading bigger SD cards with older Firmware.
08-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
This is a SanDisk card (16GB), and only two months or so old right now - I bought it at the same time as I bought the camera... It's strange it's already having problems then. Could cardreaders cause problems for the camera to read it?

As for the firmware, I haven't updated it, so it would probably be wise doing that right now.

Edit: I can't get RescuePro to recognize the card - probably as my PC doesn't (at least not without formatting it)?
08-28-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I had the same problem three days ago@my daughter's B-day party. On top of that irritation, the card will not stay seated in the camera. Heading out to CRIS in a few minutes.

08-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Those are pretty nasty problems tabl10s I hope you can get it solved soon.

I just updated the camera to V1.13 firmware - I formatted the second SD card (which isn't really meant for the camera as it's pretty slow) in camera and it seems to be working fine.

I'm currently trying to format the broken SD card and it seems Windows can't recognize it's size and can't format it - so it's probably 'just' an SD card problem. I guess I'll go back to the store and see if I can get a new one from them right away - after all they should get a new one from SanDisk being only two months old and having seen little use and was always treated with care and respect - like the camera.

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 08-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.
08-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It does sound like an SD card issue. Remember that formatting in camera is the least likely to result in these problems.

Before you return it you might search here for SD Card Rescue or Recovery because there are several other programs that people have said can recover, sometimes, photos when RescuePro has failed.
08-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

How do cards go bad in an instant? I had mine in the card reader for a couple of days and SHAZAM!...more BS in my life. Finally learned how to remove a lens without the button.
08-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
How do cards go bad in an instant? I had mine in the card reader for a couple of days and SHAZAM!...more BS in my life. Finally learned how to remove a lens without the button.
Sorry. They do. It could have been a surge, a blow, or nothing specific. It could have been the reader, I've had to throw out one usb reader because the cards all acted oddly after they had been in it.

08-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well if anything has killed it, it must have been my laptop's cardreader (even though it wasn't in there when problems started)... My laptop seems to have a lot of problems, including that I sometimes get electric shocks from the USB slots - it is the reason why I don't connect my camera to the PC anymore. Dell better call me back this week about the replacement laptop!

Anyway, I've now got CardRecovery (from WinRecovery) scanning my card... So far, none of the sectors can be read Luckily there are still many to go, so there is hope I might be able to recover something... If that doesn't work, does someone know an alternative card recovery program?
08-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Origineelreclamebord Quote
If that doesn't work, does someone know an alternative card recovery program?
Try PhotoRec (cross-platform and opensource) at PhotoRec - CGSecurity

Tip: my daughter had an SD card (by chance also a Sandisk) where a little plastic corner had broken off - it wouldn't read or even register anymore. I managed to save files off it by putting it in a reader and keeping it pressed in with a finger while reading it. It seems the little plastic corner engages some kind of spring that brings electrical contacts in the reader into contact with the card's contacts.

Depending on where you live, I could try to help you? (as per your username & profile, you seem to be located in NL as well?) I work at Schiphol Airport, would that be near you?
08-29-2012, 05:33 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice and the offer Newmikey I'm not sure it will be necessary though: I went back to the store where I bought it this morning, and they swapped it for a new SD card right away. Also, they're going to use recovery software using three different methods to try and recover as much data as possible - free of charge!

PS: I indeed live in the Netherlands, in Overijssel.
09-03-2012, 04:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I sometimes get electric shocks from the USB slots
I guess something similar happened to your SD card. I wouldn't plug anything in that pc.
09-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well if anything has killed it, it must have been my laptop's cardreader (even though it wasn't in there when problems started)... My laptop seems to have a lot of problems, including that I sometimes get electric shocks from the USB slots - it is the reason why I don't connect my camera to the PC anymore. Dell better call me back this week about the replacement laptop!

Anyway, I've now got CardRecovery (from WinRecovery) scanning my card... So far, none of the sectors can be read Luckily there are still many to go, so there is hope I might be able to recover something... If that doesn't work, does someone know an alternative card recovery program?
I believe you have summed up your problem in that statement. USB ports are only 5 volts, with amperage measured in milli-amps. To get a shock from one indicates a big problem with the computer. You better start backing up everything on it now, and as simico suggests, don't plug anything else into that computer until it's either fixed or replaced!
09-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #14

I've also experienced 'pulling a spark' when using a USB port BUT only when using it with something like an external USB drive which has a different power source to the PC. I don't know what the voltage is but it's low energy & probably due to to the difference with ground levels between the PC & external USB Drive.