Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What Does CRIS Charge For A Lens Calibration?

nt=No Text.

08-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You would probably be best off to contact them and ask to make sure the price is correct, in case they have had an increase. You could also ask about turn around time and shipping too.
08-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The camera's going out tomorrow and I have nothing else to shoot with(I do have two LX's, but I need instant gratification and a 1-Hour photo hack job won't do. Just think of all the processing fee's you've saved by going digital!
08-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please post your results - time line and price - this is good information to know in the future.

I did send my K-5 to CRIS a while back for AF issues under warranty, but I did not send a lens along as the AF was way off on all my lenses. The turn around time for that was 3 days in-house.

08-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since this is a K-5 forum, I presume that the camera involved is a K-5. Might I ask why you do not perform the AF calibration yourself? It is really quite simple.

Rob
08-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Since this is a K-5 forum, I presume that the camera involved is a K-5. Might I ask why you do not perform the AF calibration yourself? It is really quite simple.

Rob
In my instance, half my lenses would not calibrate even at a +10 adjustment. When it came back I needed no AF adjustment at all.
08-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
@rob,

The K-5 is gone, so I might as well send the "Amigo's" too.
08-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
In my instance, half my lenses would not calibrate even at a +10 adjustment. When it came back I needed no AF adjustment at all.
So they solved a problem, pentax did not solve in the first place. Pentax should have fixed it for free! The fix to reset the in-camera adjustment is not difficult. Afterwards it is a normal fine adjustment. Lenses are typically all fine, requiring the same adjustment more or less. Many people here report that the K5 adjustment by Pentax stinks.

09-01-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
So they solved a problem, pentax did not solve in the first place. Pentax should have fixed it for free! The fix to reset the in-camera adjustment is not difficult. Afterwards it is a normal fine adjustment. Lenses are typically all fine, requiring the same adjustment more or less. Many people here report that the K5 adjustment by Pentax stinks.
I have a focus problem on my K5 that a +10 normal fine adjustment will not fix. You say "the fix to reset the in-camera adjustment is not difficult" could you expand on this please. I am not the original owner and therefore have no warranty to fall back on. Thanks
09-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
What Does CRIS Charge For a Lens Calibration?
What did they end up quoting you for?
09-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #11
bxf
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by troutman Quote
I have a focus problem on my K5 that a +10 normal fine adjustment will not fix. You say "the fix to reset the in-camera adjustment is not difficult" could you expand on this please. I am not the original owner and therefore have no warranty to fall back on. Thanks
I'm surprised you haven't received an answer to this question, so here goes:

Look up PK_Tether. This application makes it possible to easily enter Debug Mode on the K-5, which enables you to effectively shift the zero point of the AF adjustment scale, thus making it possible to set an effective value beyond the +/-10 limits. In other words, you can choose a setting that will make the normal AF Adjustment 0 equal to, say +2 (just an example), which will now make your +10 effectively a +12. Keep in mind, however, that this will restrict the effective range at the other end of the scale to +2 to -8, so if you have lenses that need a large negative AF adjustment, you may need to be conservative with your chosen override value.
09-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'm surprised you haven't received an answer to this question, so here goes:

Look up PK_Tether. This application makes it possible to easily enter Debug Mode on the K-5, which enables you to effectively shift the zero point of the AF adjustment scale, thus making it possible to set an effective value beyond the +/-10 limits. In other words, you can choose a setting that will make the normal AF Adjustment 0 equal to, say +2 (just an example), which will now make your +10 effectively a +12. Keep in mind, however, that this will restrict the effective range at the other end of the scale to +2 to -8, so if you have lenses that need a large negative AF adjustment, you may need to be conservative with your chosen override value.
Don't be surprised. Some of us use Mac and the windows ONLY PKthether does squat for us.