Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #16

Assuming you're shooting JPEG, turn on your camera, press INFO button once and make sure you have selected picture size 16M and quality **** (4 stars). It might be that you're shooting at some lower quality setting (or maybe not, please verify).

As an addendum, though, second image is a crop (the file name says so), first one, not so sure, but doesn't look like it. To be fair in judgement, try shooting in the same conditions.

Last edited by hooverfocus; 09-01-2012 at 12:11 PM.
09-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Is OP trolling us?

The posted photos bear almost no relationship to each other.
09-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OK. Nothing really looks in focus in the second photo. I would guess that the lens is at issue. Why not try putting camera on a tripod (as others have suggested) and focusing with live view system. If there is a significant difference in sharpness, then you either have to send camera or camera/lens combo to Pentax for adjustment, it is probably way too much for the auto focus adjustment system to take care of.
09-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #19

The second pics looks awful. Actually like a small part of an image magnified (i.e small resolution) with a lot of noise. Not the same time and angle for the pics...are you sure your K 5 was on AF and not let on manual focus accidentally?

09-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
random answers and thoughts

Both pics are crops, both cameras had the af on, and to the poster rawr that questioned if the OP was trolling us, I dont even know what that means. I went out and picked up a used 18-55 al lens and here in a bit I'm going to try it and see if its better. The lens is brand new that came with the camera as a kit. I have a feeling though this may be a bad lens that I'm going to have to send in though. Thanks for all the input thus far everyone, it sure does help ease my frustration over this. When I look on flickr of what the k5 and this lens should be capable of I'm blown away, so my hopes are still high. Its raining outside right now and when it stops I'll try the 18-55 lens and post some crops.
09-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #21

Original Poster
Oh and btw the d7000 had the standard 18-105 kit lens on it, someone had asked about that before.
09-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #22

Original Poster
Used lens no good

Well, just my luck I went to roberts camera here in indianapolis and bought an 18-55 lens listed in excellent condition, bring it home slap it on and when its set from 18 to about 23 mm the autofocus will not work, like it reached its stop limit on the lens. After all this I'm beyond frustrated. I swear, the original 18-135mm lens must be a dud the more I think about it and you would think something that costs almost 500 bucks would work as it friggin should. I want to love this camera and so far with the luck I'm having I'm far from it.

Also, I just found out if I return it to prodigital 2000 and they dont find something wrong with it, they send it back....great...that doesnt give me a good feeling at all. Sorry everyone, just venting

09-01-2012, 02:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

You mean lens because the camera is fine as far as i can tell
09-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #24

Have you tried doing the AF fine adjustment?

It is not uncommon for this adjustment to be required on a "per lens" basis.

On my K-5 I had to adjust all of my lenses for AF accuracy. This is why the K-5 (and many other higher end cameras) have AF fine adjustment in the body.
09-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Shoot us some images using the 18-135 - indoors, outdoors, at 18mm, at 135, whatever.

Make sure that at least one of the shots is focussed using liveview or manual focus, is on a tripod, and has image stabilisation turned off. And do not crop the photos, just resize them.

Plus make sure all AF adjustments are disabled, and all JPG settings are to full size and maximum quality, and all in-camera image adjustments are set to factory standard.

Last edited by rawr; 09-01-2012 at 03:51 PM.
09-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #26

You should try AF in live view. If it's clean you'll know the AF the problem and maybe not the lens.

But anyhow, if you bought the k5 + 18-135 package from pro digital and everything comes out this way, you'll have to send all back, not just the lens or just the body since it's all in the same Pentax package.
09-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

try manual focus in live view. I always do that to test a new lens.
to get 100% perfect focus in live view. then see how the photo looks like
if you can get sharp image with manual focus
that means this lens can produce sharp image, the problem is lens auto focus.
09-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #28
Forum Member

I agree - return it all and start over again. My K-5 consistently impresses me with the sharpness of the images that it produces with a variety of lenses.

My 18-135 is the least expensive Pentax lens that I shoot with - I bought it to have a light weight, compact walkaround lens - but I am consistently pleased with the high quality images that it makes. I would have to work hard to make images of the quality of the one that you posted - as in actually do something wrong on purpose to force it to perform that badly.

And BTW - a troll is someone that makes bogus posts on forums to upset the legitimate posters and start online battles. People would suspect that you might be one based on the limited proof that you have shown us and the fact that the K-5 is well known for effortlessly cranking out amazing images. It is kind of like saying that I bought a new BMW and it has lousy handling.
09-02-2012, 04:49 AM   #29

Original Poster
Why in the heck someone would do that is beyond me but I get what you are saying about the trolling thing. I'll walk around later today and take some random stuff then post them. To the person that asked about the af adjustment, I have messed with it and funny thing is if I adjust it to negative side I can tell a difference right away...say -5, if I go the plus side say +5-9, I cant see any difference even wide open and I've tried. Some shots end up like I posted, some look backfocused, its a bit all over the place. I'm going back to roberts to take the used lens back that wont focus right on the body as I stated before and figure I would be better off just ordering a new lens, something I'll need down the road anyway. As of taking the camera and lens back, they may tell me to send it in for warranty repair which I dont mind, but it was supposed to come with an international warranty card and the one it came with was for canadian buyers only (thats what it looks like to me) so I'm gonna have to call them too.
09-02-2012, 04:57 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had to send a K5 back to Prodigital2000, mine had been refurbished but came with the regular warranty. They replaced it with one that works, and were pretty good about it. But I did have to pay for shipping it back to them, which was expensive.