Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Forum Member

K5 focus issues

Recently purchased K5 from this forum. Camera arrived with autofocus so far out that a +10 adjustment is not enough for any of my lenses (these same lenses on my K20D require either 0 or maximum +5 fine adjustment). As I am not the original owner I cannot get this fixed under warranty and the fellow pentax forum member I purchased from has gone into hiding. I have two questions that I hope forum members can help with. Note: I am from Canada so would use Pentax Canada but would welcome info from USA repair warranty depots experiences
(1) could anyone advise cost of having autofocus recalibrated (not the fine adjustment that can be done in camera but a tweak internally)? I emailed Pentax Canada 7 days ago but have received no answer to this question.

(2) is it difficult to recalibrate the autofocus...(again not talking about fine adjustment in "menu"). If anyone has done this I would be interested in hearing how or being directed to a thread that explains the same

Thanks

09-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You sound like you know what you are doing, but I'll ask anyway: are you sure it needs +10 and not -10? I've gone the wrong way a couple of times and got frustrated.

I have no idea what the cost would be, shame you cannot use the warranty, I think the extended one includes a free calibration / cleaning.

I do not think you can calibrate the AF yourself (except for the fine tuning), this has to be done at the shop. It would be nice if Pentax allowed the global +-10 to be cumulative with the lens specific +-10 but it is not.
09-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #3

When was the camera originally purchased? I would download pkTether to fix it myself. I sent my camera in for auto focus calibration and they just slapped 40 units on to shift where I could get two of my lenses to be able to work. No I sold the lenses and still have a shifted auto focus. So my lenses that require 0 on an ist DS need a -9 on the k5.
09-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently went through this with a new Sigma lens that required another +35 units of correction after I applied +10 of fine focus adjustment to the body. Sigma warrant took care of it. In your case I am wondering if the bodies and lenses were possibly within tolerance but just on opposite sides of the range? I am wondering out loud if Eric might be able to adjust the AF lenses given the body?

09-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Go into the debug menu, you can do more adjustment there but the adjustment is general but that should do what you need.
09-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter

***Learning experience alert***

Would someone be willing to go into more details about the topic of this thread so those of us that are new(er) to digital photography can learn something?

BTW I am shooing with a K-5 and a variety of lenses.
09-01-2012, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter

On pro or semi-pro bodies (the k-5 currently and I think the k-7 and k20d) you have the ability to fine tune the AF to a number of individual lenses. On other bodies (k-x, k-r) you can fine tune the auto focus but only with a global setting that affects all lenses.

So if you happen to have a lens that focuses slightly to the front or rear of where it should then this can be adjusted. This can happen due to manufacturing tolerances. For example if your camera is off by +3, and your lens is off by -2, then you have a net difference of +1, which probably would not be noticeable. But if your camera is off by +6 and your lens is off by +5 now you have a total error of +11 which is noticeable.

In most cases unless you are shooting with very fast lenses, you do not have to worry about it as the slower aperture settings on, for example, the kit lens would mask any slight errors.

Also, this is NOT something you want to just jump in and try out. You need to test meticulously to make sure you actually have a hardware error. This must be done on a tripod, with perfectly aligned target. Get anything off even a little bit and the user errors far exceed the hardware errors. Which can leave you changing things all around chasing your tail and just making everything worse.
09-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You need to test meticulously to make sure you actually have a hardware error. This must be done on a tripod, with perfectly aligned target. Get anything off even a little bit and the user errors far exceed the hardware errors. Which can leave you changing things all around chasing your tail and just making everything worse.
A big plus to this.

Too many people jump straight into AF adjustment without properly deducing why their images may not be in focus.

09-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You sound like you know what you are doing, but I'll ask anyway: are you sure it needs +10 and not -10? I've gone the wrong way a couple of times and got frustrated.

I have no idea what the cost would be, shame you cannot use the warranty, I think the extended one includes a free calibration / cleaning.

I do not think you can calibrate the AF yourself (except for the fine tuning), this has to be done at the shop. It would be nice if Pentax allowed the global +-10 to be cumulative with the lens specific +-10 but it is not.
+10 but just to be sure I went back and checked and the setting needs to be greater than +10. According to the forum member I purchased from the camera is still under warranty until June 2013...there were a couple of issues not identified in the marketplace listing but unfortunately the seller will not communicate with me.
09-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Go into the debug menu, you can do more adjustment there but the adjustment is general but that should do what you need.
How do I access the debug menu?
09-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
When was the camera originally purchased? I would download pkTether to fix it myself. I sent my camera in for auto focus calibration and they just slapped 40 units on to shift where I could get two of my lenses to be able to work. No I sold the lenses and still have a shifted auto focus. So my lenses that require 0 on an ist DS need a -9 on the k5.
pkTether was new to me. I just spent the past little while searching the internet for info on pkTether. It sounds like it is possibly the way to adjust the internal focus calibration but frankly I am a little nervous about messing around with out some clear direction. Can you provide more info on how one would "download pkTether to fix it myself".
09-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A big plus to this.

Too many people jump straight into AF adjustment without properly deducing why their images may not be in focus.
I agree. I have, however, spent an inordinate amount of time using a variety of autofocus aids (moire, charts, batteries) and cannot get any of my lenses from DA40ltd to DA18-55 to achieve sharp focus with the K5. I have read, and re-read, the information on Pentax Forum and how to check auto focus. The same lenses with K20D are spot on using the same autofocus aids.
09-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Not that this will help with your issue of your camera being purchased used and not having any communication with the seller -

My K-5 when new the AF was great. But sometime after the first couple months, I started noticing a problem. I finally set up a controlled test for all my lenses, and 1/2 my lenses would not be brought back in to normal focus even with a +10 fine adjustment. I sent it off to CRIS under warranty, and received it back in perfect working order. According to the repair order, it simply stated that they adjusted the AF mechanism to factory spec.

I don't know how they did this, but the repair order did not list any hardware replacement.

My K-5 now is spot on with all my lenses without any AF adjustment.

I know this doesn't help you with a warranty issue. It's too bad that the seller couldn't provide you with a copy of their receipt so you could get your repaired under warranty.

I just did the on-line quote thing on the CRIS site, and it looks like a standard of $211.00 for any general repairs.
09-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Not that this will help with your issue of your camera being purchased used and not having any communication with the seller -

My K-5 when new the AF was great. But sometime after the first couple months, I started noticing a problem. I finally set up a controlled test for all my lenses, and 1/2 my lenses would not be brought back in to normal focus even with a +10 fine adjustment. I sent it off to CRIS under warranty, and received it back in perfect working order. According to the repair order, it simply stated that they adjusted the AF mechanism to factory spec.

I don't know how they did this, but the repair order did not list any hardware replacement.

My K-5 now is spot on with all my lenses without any AF adjustment.

I know this doesn't help you with a warranty issue. It's too bad that the seller couldn't provide you with a copy of their receipt so you could get your repaired under warranty.

I just did the on-line quote thing on the CRIS site, and it looks like a standard of $211.00 for any general repairs.
Thanks for the response. Hopefully my K5 will eventually be "spot on"

I would sure like to avoid a $200 bill for repairs (+ shipping to Pentax) on something that could be done under warranty. That is why I am exploring a self fix. I probably will eventually end up biting the bullet and sending to Pentax and writing this off as a "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) experience.
09-01-2012, 08:28 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by troutman Quote
pkTether was new to me. I just spent the past little while searching the internet for info on pkTether. It sounds like it is possibly the way to adjust the internal focus calibration but frankly I am a little nervous about messing around with out some clear direction. Can you provide more info on how one would "download pkTether to fix it myself".
Okay, I have a Mac, so I haven't used this myself.
But if you use windows, download pkThether from http://www.pktether.com/download/PK_Tether_0_6_5.zip
To do the af adjustment you have to do some Googling. I remember that the camera had -10 to +10, bit when you adjust this it is in micrometers. Which is .001m. And a value of +120 would make your af zero become +10.
A value of -120 would make your af zero at -10. And an important thing to remember is that the change is cumulative. So!whatever you add stays. If you +120 and then close it and then open pkthether again and +120, you now have +240. It doesn't go back to zero and it doesn't tell you how far out you are. So you never know what true zero is anymore.
hope this helps, I'm a noobie, there are more posts out there, hope this just gets you started.