Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,545
K-5 won't actuate shutter!!

Oh no! Just yesterday I was on a hike and after taking about 100 pictures during the course of the afternoon, I went to take a picture and the aperture just closed down but the mirror would not actuate and my K-5 wouldn't take a picture! After taking the battery out, etc. I turned the camera on and it said battery depleted. So this morning, I charged the battery and went out for another shoot— after taking 150+ pictures the camera all the sudden started acting up the same as it did yesterday. I took the card out, took the battery out (put it back in), removed the lens, etc. and it doesn't seem to help. The camera just won't snap any pictures. It closes down the aperture in the lens, but that's it. Also, when I stick it into liveview it's just a blinking yellow and black screen.

Any idea of what's wrong?

09-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian
bossa's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 4,538
Sounds like you need to take it to a service center.
09-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Checked your SD door is closed tight?
09-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Genuine battery or generic?

09-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Santa Barbara
Photos: Albums
Posts: 60
Try another battery. The one you have may be dying and doesn't provide what's needed.
09-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,576
Yep, first trouble shooting step should be to check if the battery has any issues.

I'd also check that the contacts are clean on both the battery, your charger, and inside the battery bay in the camera.

It's also a good idea to carry a spare with you in the field.
09-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,971
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Oh no! Just yesterday I was on a hike and after taking about 100 pictures during the course of the afternoon, I went to take a picture and the aperture just closed down but the mirror would not actuate and my K-5 wouldn't take a picture! After taking the battery out, etc. I turned the camera on and it said battery depleted. So this morning, I charged the battery and went out for another shoot— after taking 150+ pictures the camera all the sudden started acting up the same as it did yesterday. I took the card out, took the battery out (put it back in), removed the lens, etc. and it doesn't seem to help. The camera just won't snap any pictures. It closes down the aperture in the lens, but that's it. Also, when I stick it into liveview it's just a blinking yellow and black screen.

Any idea of what's wrong?
I am not sure whether this exactly fits your dilemma, but I have had a problem with my K5 showing the dreaded "Battery depleted" message. If you take a look at this thread:
Post No. 16 of this thread: (is mine, when I resurrected the thread)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/166940-battery-power-problem-criss-repair-2.html

and it may or not apply to you but I thought of sharing this just in case that would be your problem too. (or something similar).

Best of luck.

JP
09-02-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,545
Original Poster
Hmm... It's OEM battery. I also tried another battery and that didn't fix it. It's a very sporadic thing because the camera is working right now...

09-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Checked your SD door is closed tight?
Yep!

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Sounds like you need to take it to a service center.
That's really not what I want to hear right now because I've got a wedding to shoot in two weeks!

My nightmare is that half way through the wedding it will act up like this and then I'll be hanging out on a limb. Not. Good.
09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian
calsan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,367
Does anyone know if the battery ever needs 'conditioning'?
I always just pop it in the charger at the end of the day, maybe I should run it down now and then???
09-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Yep!



That's really not what I want to hear right now because I've got a wedding to shoot in two weeks!

My nightmare is that half way through the wedding it will act up like this and then I'll be hanging out on a limb. Not. Good.
If I remember correctly from your Sigma lens problems, aren't you within driving distance to CRIS? If so, they seemed to treat you very well as a walk-in customer before - maybe it might be worth the time to go there again? Or maybe time to buy a backup body if you are going to be doing weddings?
09-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,576
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
maybe time to buy a backup body if you are going to be doing weddings
Indeed. A lot of things can go wrong with a camera (dropped, stolen, battery problems etc). For important events you really need a backup.
09-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
Senior Member
glennbp's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Clarkston, Michigan
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 148
My 2c; OEM or not, batteries can and do create all sorts of problems. It is amazing how many issues can be resolved by simply purchasing a couple of new batteries. That is ALWAYS the first route to take. Based on what has been said here, it is possible that the mirror mechanism got a little dirt in the wrong place and is intermittently sticking. If you are capable of cleaning this mechanism yourself, I would try that, but be careful as it is delicate. Otherwise, take it to a trusted service center for cleaning and/or repair.
One other thing - if you have that wedding to shoot, you can always rent camera/lenses for a very nominal amount especially for just a couple days.
Best of luck-
09-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2010
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,545
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
If I remember correctly from your Sigma lens problems, aren't you within driving distance to CRIS? If so, they seemed to treat you very well as a walk-in customer before - maybe it might be worth the time to go there again? Or maybe time to buy a backup body if you are going to be doing weddings?
You must be thinking of someone else, because I'm out in rural Montana.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Indeed. A lot of things can go wrong with a camera (dropped, stolen, battery problems etc). For important events you really need a backup.
Exactly, I bought a D700 as a second camera, but it doesn't use my pentax lenses...

QuoteOriginally posted by glennbp Quote
My 2c; OEM or not, batteries can and do create all sorts of problems. It is amazing how many issues can be resolved by simply purchasing a couple of new batteries. That is ALWAYS the first route to take. Based on what has been said here, it is possible that the mirror mechanism got a little dirt in the wrong place and is intermittently sticking. If you are capable of cleaning this mechanism yourself, I would try that, but be careful as it is delicate. Otherwise, take it to a trusted service center for cleaning and/or repair.
One other thing - if you have that wedding to shoot, you can always rent camera/lenses for a very nominal amount especially for just a couple days.
Best of luck-
You're right, and I just got new batteries in the mail yesterday—tried them and they didn't fix the problem.
09-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4
My k-5 had a similar episode a couple of days ago. After taking 150 shots, it just stopped. I could hear the aperture setting, but no shutter. Battery read full. I tried a variety of things - different exposure modes, turning off flash, manual focus, etc, but nothing worked. Back at home 20 mins later, it seemed to have recovered & worked fine.

Whatever came of your issue? Did you send it for service? I have a couple of weeks left on my warranty, so I'm looking to get this figured out ASAP...

Thanks,
Christine
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, battery, camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, lens, pentax k-5, picture
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K2000 Shutter Won't Work With Lens Attached BernieH Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 08-01-2012 01:18 PM
KX shutter release won't work Franky2step Pentax Film SLR Discussion 4 06-06-2012 02:32 PM
ME Super winds on, but shutter won't cock ryan s Pentax Film SLR Discussion 7 04-20-2012 03:26 AM
Pentax Program Plus - Shutter won't work amberlynn531 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 02-15-2012 07:56 PM
Why won't my ZX-7 let me release the shutter? photolady95 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 8 06-23-2009 11:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top