Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 GPS Options

I know following options,

1. GPS Unit O-GPS1
2. Add GPS information during post processing.

Option 1 is expensive and option 2 is time consuming and not accurate all the time.

Wondering if there are any other options for K-5?

09-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #2

There is an android app (not sure about iphone) that will do some of the work for you - I've not used it but understand it will allow you to track your route and allow you to add points when you take photos - this data can be merged with the image files and is synchronised by the time stamp on the file. As I said I've not tried it and can't recall the name but I know it exists.
09-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Don't ask me how well it works, but this type of gear seems to be the alternative:

GiSTEQ PhotoTrackr Mini DPL900 for all Digital Cameras C702DPL900

I went for the O-GPS1 that also adds compass headings to my image data plus it gives me an electronic compass, simple navigation and Astrotracer. But if all you need is position gear like the above (I think there are quite a few brands) could well be the best solution.
09-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by godavari Quote
1. GPS Unit O-GPS1 2. Add GPS information during post processing. Option 1 is expensive and option 2 is time consuming and not accurate all the time
There is a type of engineering software refered to as ArcGis. It is to my understanding that "they" or someone may very well offer a version of free software that is highly accurate gps down to about one meter. Or also if you happen to know someone whom is an engineer (but does not drive a train) - they might have professional copies that they can actually give you a license to.

Interestingly enough; all (new) North american vehicles will have this standard within about three to four years.

Also in terms or accuracy - unless one is in the military it doesn't get more accurate than this

09-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I went for the expensive, but convenience option of the O-GPS1. I have two, one for both mine and my wife's cameras. Not only do we have fairly accurate location tracking, something that I have missed in the past, but the added Astro Tracking adds to the fun of the photography. We have scenery shots that we have taken on some of our trips in the past that we have no idea where they were taken and this is something that we are disappointed in.

It must be remember that any GPS tracking App on a phone will require the phone to be awake to continue the track. There are dedicated trackers out there too, but they would be as expensive or more than the Pentax unit. Adding the information in post is just a other work flow step that will often get forgotten. It is also another piece of equipment that must be hooked up and the information down loaded along with the photos.

My suggestion is to try and spring for the O-GPS1, never now it might bring added functionality in the future.
09-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Darren Quote
There is an android app (not sure about iphone) that will do some of the work for you - I've not used it but understand it will allow you to track your route and allow you to add points when you take photos - this data can be merged with the image files and is synchronised by the time stamp on the file. As I said I've not tried it and can't recall the name but I know it exists.
I've tried this and it worked out well. I use GPS Logger for Android to generate the GPX file. There is a ton of applications out there to merge the GPX data with EXIF very painlessly, I use GPScorrelate for Linux, but I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there for Windows and OS X too.

Worth a shot, everything is free if you happen to have an Android phone. If you don't have one, you might be able to pick up an old one free or cheap from someone who has upgraded, it doesn't require anything special, most Android phones have GPS.
09-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

1. GPS Unit O-GPS1

Option 1 is expensive and option 2 is time consuming and not accurate all the time.

Although option 2 seems "time consuming" if you use a program like geo-setter you can batch process thousands of shots overnight. I processed 2500 shots from my Corsica vacation in a total lapsed tome of 24 hours, with less than 1 hour total effort including the time to sync the files etc.

As for accuracy, if your gps has an option to save a point every 1-5 seconds to a sd card, there is no accuracy issue at all.
09-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have come to love my O-GPS1, not only for casual photography but for work as well. Having the orientation in the exif from the O-GPS1 means that I can hit the "Open in Google" option in Irfanview and bammo, there it is oriented as it should be. Saves me oodles of time. Just keep in mind that with current GPS tech, small units will not be able to provide the vertical resolution necessary to give super accurate elevations. I just drove over hill country this past weekend and ground-truthed two mountain summits - one was 4 meters low and the other was 6 meters high on the O-GPS1, not bad for a vehicle travelling at highway speed.

Jack

09-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter

1. GPS Unit O-GPS1

Go for the O-GPS1. I use one in unfamiliar settings and while traveling, It's a clever device and it delivers.

The decision was easy. For me, it was time or money... and I can always make more money!

A no brainer... IMHO.

Cheers...
09-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks to all who responded. I bought O-GPS1 unit and it worked for first time. However, it can't acquire signal for the past 3 days even after calibrating successfully few times. I have opened a thread here. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/199306-o-gps1-signal.html

Thanks
09-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I've tried this and it worked out well. I use GPS Logger for Android to generate the GPX file. There is a ton of applications out there to merge the GPX data with EXIF very painlessly, I use GPScorrelate for Linux, but I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there for Windows and OS X too.

Worth a shot, everything is free if you happen to have an Android phone. If you don't have one, you might be able to pick up an old one free or cheap from someone who has upgraded, it doesn't require anything special, most Android phones have GPS.
Thank you!! This is precisely what I was looking for. Come to think of it, doesn't my tracks generate gpx as well? I like my tracks....