Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
dpowerherndz

Crooked/tilted sensor results in tilted pictures

Hello fellow pentax users!
I have an issue with my K-5 that can't seem to be fixed. Upon switching on the camera, sometimes the sensor locks itself in a crooked position and so all the pictures are significantly crooked. This happens randomly, about 30% of the time. I have seen this forum someone with a K-7 that had the same problem (even posted a picture of the angled sensor here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66210-k-7-crooked-sensor.html). Attached are two photos showing the problem using a 8mm lens and one photo using a 55mm lens. Unfortunately I was unable to photograph the crooked sensor before sending the camera off for servicing.
When the sensor locks in the correct position, the pictures come out fine. But, this only happens 70% of the time. So basically I am forced to switch on the camera in live view to see if the sensor is in the correct position.

Has anyone had this problem? How was it fixed, if it is fixable?

Cheers!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
dpowerherndz

Help! Anyone have this problem?

Does any one else have this problem and did they get it fixed?
09-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mine does the same thing. I just turned it off. No way to calibrate it without sending it in for repair. Then it may go out of whack again anyways. Kind of a disappointment, but I really didn't want to send it in for repair. Luckily, the imaging software that comes with the camera does have a tilt feature to it so you can correct it.
09-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The vignetting you see may be caused by the lens hood not being fully rotated. I have had that happen with the 12-24.

Both my bodies have misaligned finder/sensors, so it is a possibility the angle is indeed off. Still it would not give you the black edge.

09-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
dpowerherndz

not the hood

It is not the hood because when I switched on and off the camera again to ge tthe sensor to align itself correctly, the edges disappeared. It is definately the sensor. This person photographed his crooked sensor: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66210-k-7-crooked-sensor.html
This is what I saw when I checked mine. Unfortuantely I never got to photograph it before sending it in.
09-10-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
dpowerherndz

Sorry to hear that you have the same problem. Seeing that this has happed to other and to several camaeras, not just the k-5, I find it amazing that Pentax has not acknowledged this problem.