Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #1

how do you guys treat RAW pictures?

Just start to use RAW for my pictures. I wonder if you use Pentax Digital Utility 4 or PS? i heard only PS5 has capability for converting this format.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

09-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I treat them quite nicely, pay for the first dinner date.

I usually use Lightroom to process my RAWs. If I want to do editing in PS (like removing blemishes, etc), I'll convert in LR to TIFF because I like the LR tools better.

If I just want to conver tthe photos to JPEG without much editing, I'd just do it in the Pentax software.
09-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Lightroom 3 for most post processing, and Photoshop Elements 9 for the rare times I want to do any serious retouching.
I'm not too proud to use iPhoto occasionally too
09-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #4

I guess I'm a bit of a contrarian and use Capture One pro 6 for all my RAW editing. IMO, the RAW rendering engine in Capture One yields the best results. Yes, the learning curve is a bit steep, but in a day or two with the excellent resources and tutorials that are available, it's not very tough to master. No, I'm not associated with the software in any way, I'm just an enthusiastic user.

09-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I use Lightroom for about 90% of everything I do. Gimp or PS Elements for the few things it will not do.

If you change your RAW format to DNG, then you do not have to convert on import to LR and Lightroom can save out metadata changes to the actual RAW file. Assuming your camera allows for that. k-5 does and I think k-30 is only DNG if I'm not mistaken. I don't actually export to jpeg unless there is a need, depends on whether they are for a client, stock or personal use.
09-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photoshop CS6 is the way to go for me!
09-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmrhm Quote
Just start to use RAW for my pictures. I wonder if you use Pentax Digital Utility 4 or PS? i heard only PS5 has capability for converting this format.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
My RAW converter for my DA lenses is DxO Pro. It automatically does things that I would spend way too much time doing myself. Also, the corrections of keystoning and so forth is MUCH better than LR 3.6. US $150 approximately. I then export from DxO (built in function) to LR 3.6 (I have a 32 bit computer and cannot upgrade to LR 4) where I catalogue and fine tune. If I need to I then use Photomatix for excess dynamic range (usually highlight & shadow from two exposures). After that I have Hugin and Focus Magic for the rare occasions that I need them.
09-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop. I'm not a huge Lightroom fan though I have it and occasionally use it. I like the workflow between the first 3 better.

09-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Since nobody mentioned this one yet, I have to:

I use Corel's Aftershot Pro (formerly known as Bibble) for ALL my postprocessing. It's fast, has a great photo library and metadata management tool. The price for this SW is reasonable.
09-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Me too

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I use Bridge, Camera Raw and Photoshop. I'm not a huge Lightroom fan though I have it and occasionally use it. I like the workflow between the first 3 better.
That's exactly my preference. Lightroom imposes cataloging requirements that are viewed as a major program feature but just get in my way.

If you neither do much post processing of your images or want to then use the least expensive software that lets you easily do a few tweaks of your RAW files and export, or just shoot jpeg. But if you enjoy working with your images and think that is a great part of the hobby then I highly recommend Photoshop.
09-07-2012, 03:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

i heard only PS5 has capability for converting this format.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Where do you want us to begin? With Google search?

a)You heard wrong
b)Lightroom, Digikam, Ufraw, PSP, Rawtherapee, Darktable, Irfanview, PhaseOne, AfterShot Pro, DxO Optics etc. etc.
09-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Adobe Lightroom and Adobe Camera RAW are great starts.
Lightroom if you don't want to Photoshop. And Camera Raw(which comes bundled) if you want to Photoshop.

Hope this helps.

PS. Both RAW developers(Lightroom/ACR) can read Pentax RAW files(DNG/PEF) without issues.
09-07-2012, 03:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Not true ! I use CS4 for developing the RAW files from the K5. Once converted to JPGs you can import them to anywhere of course. I would expect any adobe PS to reconise DNG raws but I would not swear to it.
09-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter

As a diehard Apple user, I use Aperture, and find it more than capable, also fully integrates with all my other Apple software. Its very intuitive to use, and has excellent file sorting, organising and storing capability.
09-07-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

i heard only PS5 has capability for converting this format.
Nope, CS3 here, and have used CS2 in the past, without many issues. I think I once had to update the ACR plugin, but that's freely available.