Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5: -/+ and ISO button question.

Am I losing my mind...

Ok, this will be odd but's it's not a K5 complaint thread

I've not had my K5 very long, but did have a K7 and a DS before that. I don't remember this happening, ya know you press and hold the -/+ button (or the ISO) turn the back dial to make a change. Well, mine works that way But it also works as a toggle. Press and release -/+ turn the dial and it adjusts the ev comp. Press and release and again turn the wheel and it adjusts the aperture (in AV mode). ISO button works the same two ways. It explains why a couple times I couldn't adjust the aperture. The DS and K7 you had to hold it, or now I'm thinking at least I thought you did. I swear all three manuals said to turn the rear dial while holding the -/+ button. I don't have access to the manual at the moment.

Has it always been this way? or did I just learn an undocumented feature because I actually had an hour to use the camera today.. Or is somebody gonna tell it's broke and needs service right away

On a bighter note, during that hour I discovered my K5 needed a +5 Apply all to the AF adjustment. Down to three lenses atm, but it fixed all of them. That solved not just the sharpness issues, but it's focusing much better also (locking quicker/hunting less). I'll probably have to sit down a down a proper calibration (or let Pentax do it during the free inspection/calibration). Todays was done in the field, every time the K5 locked focus I had to make a manual adjustment. After playing with it a bit I arrived at the +5, it's likely not dead center but it relieved a lot of frustration.

And on an even brighter note, (maybe I should started this post with Dear Diary) I got my new strap Friday, got to use it today. IIRC it's the most I've ever spent on a strap($45), but I needed something. So, if your K5 with grip and a DA*300mm has got you wanting to hire an assistant. The Crumpler Convenient Disgrace might be a cheaper answer. It made that combo feel less than half the weight! Seems to hold good under tension, yet slide easlily around the shoulder/upper back when the tension is removed (lifting the rig to your eye). Umm.. I carry my camera at hip level, strap across the chest to the oposite shoulder. I don't trust the same side shoulder and I hate the neck option with camera in front, I like it at hip level, so imagine a DA*300mm slamming into your..... well... use your imagination.

09-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That you no longer have to hold the ISO and +/- Av buttons to change setting isn't new. It was like that on the K-5 from day one. That you still can use the buttons in the old "press and hold while adjusting" way is a bonus, should make everyone happy!
09-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
Has it always been this way? or did I just learn an undocumented feature because I actually had an hour to use the camera today.. Or is somebody gonna tell it's broke and needs service right away
Yes, it was, both on K-7 and K-5, but you had to hold the button on previous models.
09-09-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-x also toggles in ev+-

09-10-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
Riv

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vizzy Quote
Yes, it was, both on K-7 and K-5, but you had to hold the button on previous models.
I can't believe I never noticed that on the K7. I sure don't recall reading about in the manual. I guess you use something a giving way for so long that minor changes go unnoticed until a finger fumble reveals it.
09-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I believe even the K10 had the toggle mode, although for some reason I never noticed it until I got the K5.
09-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Riv Quote
I can't believe I never noticed that on the K7. I sure don't recall reading about in the manual. I guess you use something a giving way for so long that minor changes go unnoticed until a finger fumble reveals it.
In fact, this was kind of surprise for me, when I borrowed K-7 for a week after my Samsung GX-20, it took me few days to get used to it.